The good, the bad, the somehow playoff alive Raiders vs. Chargers

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, true2form said:

Some still fail to understand this concept. This is what the offense has been for 20+ years. West coast concepts aren't new and I can't believe how many fans struggle with it.

If Carr fails at anything he should have at least kept the defense off balance by looking at the deep threat, they weren't fooled one bit on this play.

8 minutes ago, billking said:

If Carr fails at anything he should have at least kept the defense off balance by looking at the deep threat, they weren't fooled one bit on this play.

You do understand that sometimes they run these types of plays just to see how the defense will react? To put it on film to make other teams defend it or to run the deep route as the primary the next time around.

Things aren't always as black and white as they seem.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, true2form said:

Some still fail to understand this concept. This is what the offense has been for 20+ years. West coast concepts aren't new and I can't believe how many fans struggle with it.

“Rather than running the ball to set up deep passing attacks, Walsh would now turn to his running backs and tight ends for short, ball control passes, using the short pass to spread the defense before taking the longer shots.” 

Ok so where are the longer shots? Oh yea gafford above....

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

31 minutes ago, true2form said:

You do understand that sometimes they run these types of plays just to see how the defense will react? To put it on film to make other teams defend it or to run the deep route as the primary the next time around.

Fair enough and to see what a defense may do is understandable, however on 3rd and 7 at midfield you opt for a play that hinges on a player breaking a tackle or even 2 versus someone going uncovered down the sidelines? Yep it appears throwing to the deep threat was not the first or even second option and the fact he didn't even look back to Carr made it even less of a sell.

23 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Well Gafford doesn’t look back at all for the ball, if Carr throws it to him odds are he doesn’t catch the ball if Carr throws it up to him. 

Once again Gruden’s offense is all about breaking a tackle and getting YAC. 

If that is the case then it is completely on Gruden.  No reason to not have prepared the team for that situation unless they can not grasp these concepts.

29 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If that is the case then it is completely on Gruden.  No reason to not have prepared the team for that situation unless they can not grasp these concepts.

Yeah, but didn’t they also just promote Gafford. I don’t think he has a full grasp of the offense. Alvis Whitted 3.0. 

You guys are expecting a lot from players who A. shouldn't be starting to begin with and B. haven't even been on the roster getting reps for half a season.

Then you're expecting C. Carr to be able to bring it all together and be perfect. 

Simply unreasonable, unrealistic, and foolish.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, true2form said:

You guys are expecting a lot from players who A. shouldn't be starting to begin with and B. haven't even been on the roster getting reps for half a season.

Then you're expecting C. Carr to be able to bring it all together and be perfect. 

Simply unreasonable, unrealistic, and foolish.

I just want carr to not ignore the wrs. The way he played last week I could live with.

8 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Yeah, but didn’t they also just promote Gafford. I don’t think he has a full grasp of the offense. Alvis Whitted 3.0. 

How hard is it to say if this happens I am throwing you the ball or you are my second option.  They are professionals and have to run 50-60 plays a week.  Some of it is complex but for a WR to look back or at least ask them to look back every play is not unreasonable.  If you are running a route finish it and be ready for it to come your way.  Is it to much to ask?  Pay me and I will look back every route I run and will attempt to block someone every run play.

15 hours ago, true2form said:

Yep, i woudn't be surprised if they run the same play going to Gafford this week.

12 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Yep, i woudn't be surprised if they run the same play going to Gafford this week.

I understand this but this particular type of play you should always have the option.  Why not throw the TD first if it is there and then next week throw the underneath if it is there.  That was my point.  It is a bad read or poor preparation by the coaches.  If you have a man running free up the sideline on the side you are running a play to there is no excuse not to throw the long ball.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand this but this particular type of play you should always have the option.  Why not throw the TD first if it is there and then next week throw the underneath if it is there.  That was my point.  It is a bad read or poor preparation by the coaches.  If you have a man running free up the sideline on the side you are running a play to there is no excuse not to throw the long ball.

Then blame Gruden or Gafford if you like. Carr should never throw a ball to the back of a WR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, true2form said:

Then blame Gruden or Gafford if you like. Carr should never throw a ball to the back of a WR.

Depending on what took place I could blame all 3.  Carr needs to make sure the brand new WR is on the same page.  You have a head coach, coach on the field, and a professional player.  None of them have an excuse.  You do not think that other top QBs let the players know when they screw up.

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Depending on what took place I could blame all 3.  Carr needs to make sure the brand new WR is on the same page.  You have a head coach, coach on the field, and a professional player.  None of them have an excuse.  You do not think that other top QBs let the players know when they screw up.

You're assuming a lot. 

18 minutes ago, true2form said:

You're assuming a lot. 

Placing any blame is an assumption.  Maybe Gafford was told just to run up the sideline without looking back.  What you do not have to assume is that there is a flaw there and it could be Gruden, Carr, and/or Gafford.