2020 Outlook

candyman93

Obviously, this was a terrible and disappointing season. However, given the capital and flexibility we have, there is much to be excited for in 2020.

+ Myles will be back and be angry / motivated. He was projected to lead the NFL in sacks before his suspension. I doubt he will ever make a similar mistake that he did this season.

+ Nick Chubb is a monster and will be a great one over the course of his career.

+ Kareem Hunt is a beast. He will have a full offseason and will hopefully play an entire year with us.

+ We have all of our draft picks and extra. Very strong chance it’s a top 10 pick if we tank against Cinci.

+ Baker will learn from his 2019 mistakes and enter this offseason more focused and with a clear mind. I want the short angry dude who’s pissed off at the world. Not the guy who thinks he arrived already.

+ We lucked out with certain guys underperforming in a contract year. We can get them for cheap or let them walk. There’s a lot of dead weight we can finally shed.

Here’s what has me worried:

- The coaching staff was dreadful. Holy hell, Freddie was NOT ready for his role. I don’t know what will happen to him. However, he needs to do some reevaluating and listen to some analytics guys. I don’t know how serious he is about not caring about stats, but I kinda believe him after seeing the mistakes he made this year. The days of “f it and chuck it” need to end after next week. His philosophy has hurt Baker and his development.

- Jarvis and OBJ. My gut says they stay 1 more year and practice / get more focused. However, I don’t know what Dorsey will do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

We also had the hardest schedule in the entire NFL, so there’s no possible way it’s that bad next year.

Currently, we sit with the 4th hardest schedule in the league a few decimals away from the 6th hardest schedule. Most projections after the Bengals game have us with the 6th or 7th hardest schedule for the full year.

Crazy how the Patriots have the 30th hardest. Out of our division, the Bengals have the 7th hardest thus far; the Ravens 19th hardest; Steelers 21st hardest.

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Here’s what has me worried:

Biggest worry is Ryan Lindley.

If we can just get a QB coach that isn't buddy buddy trying to establish his career and ascend up the coaching ranks and get one that will coach the heck out of Baker to squeeze the greatness out, then a lot of core issues can be cleaned up.

Other issue is if John Dorsey is adept at coaching search and whether or not he is just looking for a coach that won't usurp his power in the organization.  Dorsey is a heck of a talent scout for a wide majority of football positions, but identifying a head coach is an entirely different thing. If we do make a change, I wonder and am worried about how the Analytics, Haslam's search firm, and Dorsey's search team will work together or not work together to produce an effective search.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Biggest worry is Ryan Lindley.

If we can just get a QB coach that isn't buddy buddy trying to establish his career and ascend up the coaching ranks and get one that will coach the heck out of Baker to squeeze the greatness out, then a lot of core issues can be cleaned up.

Other issue is if John Dorsey is adept at coaching search and whether or not he is just looking for a coach that won't usurp his power in the organization.  Dorsey is a heck of a talent scout for a wide majority of football positions, but identifying a head coach is an entirely different thing. If we do make a change, I wonder and am worried about how the Analytics, Haslam's search firm, and Dorsey's search team will work together or not work together to produce an effective search.

Who are good QB coach candidates not named Ken Zampese?

1 hour ago, MarkPrice25 said:

Who are good QB coach candidates not named Ken Zampese?

1.) Joe Lombardi

2.) Mike Kafka

3.) Greg Knapp,

4.) Rich Scangarello,

5.) Jim Caldwell (had to step away for health reasons) 

6.) Luke Getsy

7.) Marcus Brady

8.) Press Taylor,

9.) Sean Ryan,

-----

Kafka, Lombardi, Knapp, and Scangarello are the cream of the crop.

I've heard that the coaching of Marcus Brady has been one of the most enjoyable things this year for HC Frank Reich and the Colts. Reich thinks he's a star.

Luke Getsy is known by a lot of people int he league as having next level eye and footwork drilling that integrates defensive key reading.

I've heard good things about Sean Ryan and Press Taylor but not that much detail about their actual coaching techniques or approaches. 

There are others as well but those are some off the top of my head.

The sad part is that none of those guys are currently available, or are likely to be available next year.

1.) Joe Lombardi - Saints won't let him leave and I doubt he'd want to

2.) Mike Kafka - Same with the Chiefs (as a side note, he was my 2010 draft crush. I don't know who was here back then but I was the lone crazy man driving the Kafka train that year)

4.) Rich Scangarello - Same with the Broncos

6.) Luke Getsy - Same with the Packers

7.) Marcus Brady - Same with the Colts

8.) Press Taylor - Same with the Eagles

You could hire Jim Caldwell to be your head coach and do pretty well, but that takes him away from working specifically with Baker, and health is a real concern with him at this point.

Heck, even Ken Zampese himself isn't really available anymore, as he has an OC gig in the new XFL.

The only two that could be available next year are Greg Knapp (if Dan Quinn gets fired in ATL, which is seeming less and less likely) and Sean Ryan (if Matt Patricia gets fired in DET, admittedly not as unlikely) That doesn't guarantee a position coach will be replaced, of course, as we've seen position coaches carry over to new regimes (Chris Tabor and Adam Henry immediately come to mind)

The only way to do it might be to make them OC/QB coach, but again, that sorta takes their focus away from Baker specifically, and I also don't want to overload them if it's their first OC gig (barring Lombardi, Knapp or Caldwell, who have all been an OC of a team before) Something like this:

HC Dan Campbell

OC/QB coach Joe Lombardi

You'd just have to hope that his teaching sticks with Baker, as he'd probably get HC looks after a (hopefully) big turnaround year.

Anyway, I'm just rambling at this point. What say you, denizens?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, brownie man said:

Big Ben will be back....

So what? He was terrible before he went down with the injury. I don't think Roethlisberger back on the Steelers is scary. It wasn't scary this season and it surely isn't going to be scary a year from now.

He's pretty much done. Eli Manning-esque ability at the moment.

• Like 1