2019 BDL Bizz Bowl Championship: New Orleans Jazz vs. Camden Hoodrats

VigilantZombie

BDL Bizz Bowl Championship: New Orleans Jazz vs. Camden Hood Rats  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Camden Hoodrats

I'll be honest too, if not for the planned overthrow and the [being okay with TOs because we trust the defense] I would've probably gone NOLA here because of the defense.

I hadn't read anything either of these guys sent me until 30 min ago because I had 0 interest in making the thread with a predetermined mindset. I suspect the voting is gonna be really tight here, as it should be. I might be making a bigger deal out of the deciding factors than need be.

These are 2 REALLY good and deserving teams

1 minute ago, WFLukic said:

I'm happy for him to not play because rules are rules but I'm pretty sure it came down to them beating the Texans, who'll be resting their starters, no matter what because of some weird tiebreaker application. 

But the day didnt start that way because had Pittsburgh won, the Titans would be relying on a Pittsburgh loss, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

But the day didnt start that way because had Pittsburgh won, the Titans would be relying on a Pittsburgh loss, not the other way around.

I've been looking at that and trying to figure it out, but I guess there was no scenario where if Tennessee won Sunday their spot was locked in?

Edited by Jlash

Just now, Jlash said:

I've been looking at that and trying to figure it out, but I guess there was no scenario where if Tennessee won Saturday their spot was locked in?

I actually ran the simulator again and the Titans beating the Saints would've actually helped because it would've eliminated the Raiders, who I think can actually make it over Tennessee if the Titans lose, they win and some other results fall their way. I think Rapoport just discounted it since the Raiders needed like 5 games to go their way and then another 5 this week, but it actually looks somewhat realistic now. 

Otherwise yeah, there was really no benefit to the Titans winning because it just came down to the Texans game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

I've been looking at that and trying to figure it out, but I guess there was no scenario where if Tennessee won Sunday their spot was locked in?

Only way that wouldve been the case is if they had won last week. Had Pittsburgh won theyd have remained the #6 and had to win next week and if they did it wouldnt matter what the Titans did.

Now, Pittsburgh has to win and hope Titans lose. If the Titans win, it doesnt matter what Pittsburgh does, Titans remain the #6.

• Like 1

This was a great matchup. Exactly what you would expect out of two teams in the Bizzbowl. I like how the Jazz planned to attack the edges of the Camden defense. Mike Thomas is a stud and a force to be reckoned with. I like the team of NO and some of the ways they plan to attack and defend Camden. However I really like what Jlash is doing here with his team. The added safeties by the Jazz will help but spreading out the NO defense is really the way to attack them. Forcing Allen to beat them is also the way to go. Because honestly I just don’t see it happening. 24-20 Camden. 

• Like 1

First, great Bizzbowl matchup. Both teams weren't favorites coming in but they completely deserved to be here and were the two best teams of the second half of the year imho.

Regarding the NO offense vs Camden D matchup

Running on the edges: I understand the willingness to run outside given that Camden edge D is not as good as its interior DL, but I don't think NO OL strength in the run game is necessarily the tackles, and with a zone D and more than adequate second level defenders, I think Camden can provide decent run defense on Zeke and Singletary.

Short to intermediate throws: Ertz and Thomas are probably 2 of the 3 best weapons in the NFL in this are of the field. Camden back 7 is ok, but without generating a huge pass-rush, I think Allen can find the spots in the zone D with those weapons. I don't think Allen is good enough to just pick apart Camden D, but he can do a decent job moving the ball.

Deep ball: NO planned the deep ball to counter Camden stacking up the short to intermediate areas, which works fine given Camden plan. However, not sure Allen can burn Camden here, especially with Byard patrolling out there. I think NO hits one big play TD to Tyler Lockett, maybe another big play for 30ish yards to Lockett/Moore and that's about it.

Allen scrambling / screen game: I think the zone D limits Allen potential damage here. However, the zone blitzes are a bit dangerous for Camden here as it leaves zones in the short to intermediate areas open. Can this OL take on 5 blitzers 1 on 1 and let Allen hit a quick throw to Thomas/Ertz? I think they can. Lukic was also smart to incorporate blitzes here.

Overall, I think NO has decent success on offense. They won't be consistent enough to take large shunks of possession and outmuscle Camden D, but they will be able to move the ball here and there.

Camden O vs NO D

Splitting NO defense out: I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan about this. I've been pretty adamant all year long that the predominance of 4WR sets is unrealistic imho as very few teams in the NFL have a base O with 4 WRs. Same applies here, with one additional twinkle: Lamar Jackson passing consistency relies IRL in throwing to tight ends on short to intermediate throws, which Camden doesn't provide here. Also, I think it saves Lukic from sending too many DBs in the field imho. That being said, I still expect some success here as well, as I do like Camden plan to stack receivers up and it should open someone underneath fairly regularly

Running game: Here again, Camden light formation is a detriment to Camden running game. With a defense spread out and a SS spying on Jackson, it will be mostly 1 vs 1 matchups upfront and two slot corners on the edge. With Simmons out NO has to realy on their backup DTs or one lighter ones there, but besides that, I think NO does a decent job vs Hyde.

Fighting the spy: I think this will be where Camden has the most sucess - middle of the field with crossing routes and slants. They have solide weapons underneath and with bucnh formations vs man coverage + 1 SS focused on Lamar, I think Camden can work ther

Overall, I think both teams have some success on offense and defense. it's a very balanced matchup. What made the difference here is the play in the trenches. I can NO OL can hold on all game while its DL can generate pressure, and with Camden going up-tempo, it will only aggravate their disadvantage here. I had to make a serious thinking about giving a Bizz Bowl victory to Josh Allen, and I'm still unsure about this, but I do believe his surrounding cast is so good it will end up getting the better of this Camden squad.

New Orleans, 27-24

Kudos to both.

• Like 1