Keenum ?

RSkinGM

His contract expires, so he can't be traded. As I said during the game in the gameday thread, if he wants to return, I’d have no problem with him being re-signed to be Haskins’ back up but it has to be made clear that this is Haskins’ team and Case is just the backup.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Thanks Turtle - the contract . I though Denver had signed him for 3 years and then we traded after one. I thought he had a year left but I do see his contract was just one year here. 

I don't know exactly how all that worked out. I think it may have been a case where the Broncos paid some of his salary this year and we only paid half or something, like when we traded for Dashon Goldson w/ Tampa and they paid half of his salary to just unload him.

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

he is an expensive back up

He's costing us $3.5m this year. That's not expensive. And he'll be 32 next year with not many teams interested.

Let him walk if a team signs him for a lot of $ and pocket the comp pick. But if we can get him for under $5m AAV, that's not a bad thing to have given that Alex is not guaranteed to play again and you need a veteran QB as your backup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

He's costing us $3.5m this year. That's not expensive. And he'll be 32 next year with not many teams interested.

Let him walk if a team signs him for a lot of $ and pocket the comp pick. But if we can get him for under $5m AAV, that's not a bad thing to have given that Alex is not guaranteed to play again and you need a veteran QB as your backup

if we want to keep him he will be 10 to 15 mil type of back up

remember denver paid his bonus and i think half his salary

17 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

if we want to keep him he will be 10 to 15 mil type of back up

remember denver paid his bonus and i think half his salary

Denver paid Keenum to be a starter. If we bring Keenum back he’ll be a backup and making what Thai said. $3.5 to $5 million for the next few years.

• Like 1

Keenum is on the expensive end of a backup.  His recent history with the Vikings alone will get him a decent contract.  He's in the Tyrod Taylor mold- not good enough to start for most teams, but if you have an injury prone starter or someone that needs to be pushed, he's the guy you bring in.  

I bet we find a cheaper backup somewhere along the line.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 8:18 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Keenum is on the expensive end of a backup.  His recent history with the Vikings alone will get him a decent contract.  He's in the Tyrod Taylor mold- not good enough to start for most teams, but if you have an injury prone starter or someone that needs to be pushed, he's the guy you bring in.  

I bet we find a cheaper backup somewhere along the line.  

I’d be willing to pay a bit of a premium for him, because of just what you describe. If a team has a starter go down with injury in camp, you’ve got to think they’d be willing to trade something of value for a guy like Keenum. He’s got a lot of playing experience in a lot of different systems, and his reputation for toughness and preparedness precedes him at this point. He’d be a great one-year fill-in for a team that loses a QB but still has high hopes.

I’m a little surprised the Steelers didn’t decide to go that route, although I do know it’s tough to get a guy up to speed once the regular season is underway. They must have known that Rudolph wasn’t ready to compete for the playoffs, though maybe they were naively hoping he’d blossom. With a guy like Keenum instead of Rudolph/Hodges, they’re almost certainly resting up for Wild Card weekend right now instead of playing for the lives and watching the scoreboard. 

If we had to pay an extra $500k or even $1M to keep Keenum over other similar options, I’d do it. He’s a great backup, and there’s always the (admittedly unlikely) possibility that we might be able to find a really mutually beneficial trade to send him to a contender and get back a decent pick. 

• Like 3