Week #16 GDT Steelers at Ravens Ho, Ho, Humbug!

Steeler Hitman

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'd be down for Kellen Moore. BUT considering Mike Tomlin stated Randy Fichtner has been excellent this season, he isnt getting replaced. Same old same old. Settling for mediocrity.

yeah.. I doubt randy will be gone, but I see no reason why they can't bring in another offensive guy to help insert new formations and plays

At the end of a disappointing season, I try to wait a day or two to gather my thoughts, feelings and yes (emotions as well).  Football is an emotional game. Most players, coaches and fans have a passion for the game.  In Steelers Nation, it is about winning the Lombardi every year. Any year that does not happen is a disappointment. While there are some things to certainly be concerned about, the team made some strides and accomplished many things as well:

1. Let's not forget that this team was embroiled in DRAMA. AB started calling out players and disrespecting the HC before he left, Bell had left and sat out after promising to come back and Coach T was being criticized for his handling/management of the team. 

2. Big Ben started slow and then got hurt. Many of us where ready to cash the season in at that point.

3. This team responded to adversity after being viewed as between 27 - 29 ranked team in the entire NFL after three games.  They won 8 of 10 games after starting 0 -3 and played with a third and fourth string QB.

4. Defense and turnovers came back to Pittsburgh.  The Steelers led the league in turnovers, again had over 50 sacks, and kept the team compettive despite virtually no offense. They could pressure most teams with a four man rush. It wasn't Blitzburgh, but just beating people one on one. we could cover WR's again.

5. Overcame a rash of injuries to their best offensive and defensive players: Big Ben, Ju Ju, Connor, and Tuitt to name a few.

6. The team won 8 games with little ground game, inexperience at QB and virtually no consistent offensive firepower.

We will have plenty of time to talk about fixing the Steelers for 2020, but for now, despite the disappointment of failed expectations, the clock struck twelve on the 2019 Steelers and they have some things to grow on and look forward to in 2020.

Edited by Steeler Hitman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

We will have plenty of time to talk about fixing the Steelers for 2020, but for now, despite the disappointment of failed expectations, the clock struck twelve on the 2019 Steelers and they have some things to grow on and look forward to in 2020.

I'm not expecting much to change . If ben is healthy, they will pass more and put up some points like they used to. They also will play down to competition and lack a OL and run game. Thats what this team is and will be, might as well get used to it as long as ben and fichner are here if your stomach can tolerate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s been a hot minute but here’s my take on the 2020 season:

Im happy. 

Yes I know that sounds strange. But preseason 4th QB, no #1 CB most the time, lost AB to insanity, constant injuries all over the offense. We managed to make it to 8-8. Especially when we traded away our 1st rounder for Fitzpatrick and people were calling us stupid, it’s a top 5 pick, we were giving up the QB of the future for a safety. To just barely miss the playoffs to the Public’s favorite son at QB (Allen), to see the Browns season unfold the way it did, for karma to hit Harbaugh harder than a Ray Lewis hit, all made me smile. Yea we didn’t make the playoffs, but our season was more satisfactory to me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Yea we didn’t make the playoffs, but our season was more satisfactory to me. 

I enjoyed/tolerated this season more than last year.  No playoffs either season, but this team was actually more like a team rather than a media catastrophe .  I will remember this season as the one where the defence became legit for the first time in about 7 years and it was wasted by a the worst OC in the league.