y2lamanaki

The Battle for Cornerback #2  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the job?

• Dontae Johnson
    • Keith Reaser
    • Will Redmond
    • Ahkello Witherspoon
    • Someone Else (let us know who in a reply!)
  2. 2. Who will be a surprise cut before the 53-man roster is established?

• Dontae Johnson
    • Keith Reaser
    • Will Redmond
    • K'Waun Williams
    • All four will make the roster

That CB2 spot really has me concerned. I think Robinson will be solid when he's in there (though I don't expect him to make it through most a chunk of games during the season), and I think Williams will be good in the slot. But man, the rest of that cornerback depth has me scared. We are going to need to create a massive amount of pressure with 4 man rushes in order for them to hold up. 

I'm mostly concerned about that as well. It's certainly going to be the weak spot on our defense at any point in the game. 

Dontae Johnson apparently had another decent to good practice today, so that's something. Hopefully that continues. 

With three new additions to the tight end group, incumbent starter Vance McDonald will have to fight to make the roster with a new front office and coaching staff in place. McDonald played well in recent practices, getting reps with the starters while fifth-round pick George Kittle has been held from team drills with a hamstring injury.

However, McDonald’s inconsistent hands have stuck around. He dropped a third-down pass from Hoyer on Friday and has dropped passes throughout camp. Meanwhile, undrafted tight end Cole Hikuntini made several big plays, Friday including one over the top of defenders 20 yards downfield.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/04/49ers-training-camp-stock-watch-day-7/

This just sounds like Vance - can make some plays but drops way too many balls to be a reliable target. Certainly Lynch/Shanahan knew his scouting report ahead of time, so to stick around that would be a problem he would have to fix. Problem for Vance is, if he hasn't done that yet, he's not going to suddenly learn now. 

Dontae Johnson suffered a concussion Tuesday and his status for Friday is unknown. If he were healthy, he and Rashard Robinson would start. If he's not ready, it likely will be Robinson and Keith Reaser. In that scenario, Witherspoon and Will Davis are the second-string cornerbacks. K'Waun Williams continues to lead Will Redmond in the race to be the nickel cornerback. Redmond also has been getting some work on the outside with the third-team group.

^Barrows update

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article166381267.html

Really thrilled to hear the news about Redmond playing outside with the third team. That versatility is important, and I'd love for him to stick around. After three years of Johnson/Reaser, I'm comfortable enough with them around, but I'd like to hope we have something better somewhere. 

Archived