QB Prospects you like

WindyCity

35 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

At this point I don't even care. They won't win it next year with a 2nd rounder, either. If I had to sacrifice one for the other, give me the great offense over the great defense. Find a QB who can make a ton of Pro Bowls and be the QB for the next 10+ years.

How can you say that for sure? (Eason declared today, by the way.) And if you go with a rookie the following year, you're looking towards even bigger changes, most likely.

Giving up on this group of players? Coach? GM? Everything? 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

How can you say that for sure? (Eason declared today, by the way.) And if you go with a rookie the following year, you're looking towards even bigger changes, most likely.

It's pretty unlikely for a rookie QB to win it all. The last QB I can recall that got close enough was Big Ben in his rookie year. 

Has it ever been done? A 2nd rounder in their rookie year wins a Super Bowl? Eason's not any good. Poor man's Cutler/rich man's Osweiler

I'm giving up on the GM and this group offensively with the exception of Whitehair, Miller and Robinson. By the time both OT's, the TE's and the QB are good, the defense will be toast and/or the cap room will be nonexistent. 

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

It's pretty unlikely for a rookie QB to win it all. The last QB I can recall that got close enough was Big Ben in his rookie year. 

It will happen. And soon. Doesn't mean it will be the Bears...

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Has it ever been done? A 2nd rounder in their rookie year wins a Super Bowl? Eason's not any good. Poor man's Cutler/rich man's Osweiler

I'm giving up on the GM and this group offensively with the exception of Whitehair, Miller and Robinson. By the time both OT's, the TE's and the QB are good, the defense will be toast and/or the cap room will be nonexistent. 

You SURE Eason's no good? Seems like an odd thing to assert. But what if they get someone else? They end up 8-8 with Mitch next year, they're in a similar draft position. I'm not at all sure what you're getting at. 

You're fixated on no new QB this off-season? I guess? 

It will happen. And soon. Doesn't mean it will be the Bears...

You SURE Eason's no good? Seems like an odd thing to assert. But what if they get someone else? They end up 8-8 with Mitch next year, they're in a similar draft position. I'm not at all sure what you're getting at. 

You're fixated on no new QB this off-season? I guess? 

Yeah, I am. He wasn't good enough to beat out Fromm at Georgia who's extremely limited in his traits & then went to Washington and didn't do much besides show inconsistency week to week. 

I also like how you say "you SURE Eason's no good" when you just made a much bolder exclamation that a rookie QB is going to win a Super Bowl "soon."

Going from 15-17 to 2 in the draft to get "your guy" has been done. Philly did it with Wentz. 

I'm not fixated on not getting a QB, but if the plan is to "grow" a young one, I'd rather use a 4 or 5 on one. This way when Trubisky sucks *** again the new regime doesn't feel a need to keep the 2nd rounder. Don't use a 2 on one if the plan is to go with Trubisky because a new coach and GM is going to most likely not give that 2 a chance. Use the 2's on OL or TE or EDGE. I'd be much more excited with Newton (who trust me, I'm not a huge fan of), Carr (see Newton) or Dalton (see Newton) because at least I'd know Pace has balls & that guy would 100% beat out Trubisky.

Edited by beardown3231

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, I am. He wasn't good enough to beat out Fromm at Georgia who's extremely limited in his traits & then went to Washington and didn't do much besides show inconsistency week to week. 

Eason got injured. Transferred after Fromm got entrenched. 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not fixated on not getting a QB, but if the plan is to "grow" a young one, I'd rather use a 4 or 5 on one. This way when Trubisky sucks *** again the new regime doesn't feel a need to keep the 2nd rounder. Don't use a 2 on one if the plan is to go with Trubisky because a new coach and GM is going to most likely not give that 2 a chance. Use the 2's on OL or TE or EDGE. I'd be much more excited with Newton (who trust me, I'm not a huge fan of), Carr (see Newton) or Dalton (see Newton) because at least I'd know Pace has balls & that guy would 100% beat out Trubisky

I would think that the plan would not be to necessarily go with Trubisky, right? And they have to get the position right at some point. Might as well be aggressive about it. 

If Trubisky hadn't stumbled, I think Pace and Nagy would have drafted a guy late, and signed a more capable backup than Daniel. Now, I don't know what they'll do. If it were me, I'd proceed like there is a good chance Trubisky will ultimately fail, though. Getting Dalton might be an option. 

• Like 1

Drafting a QB isn't about next year. It's not even about the current team. It's about taking chances until you find your Watson, Prescott, or Wilson. That means picking guys with flaws and hoping they succeed despite those flaws as all great players do. Many great NFL QBs had major flaws as prospects.

It doesn't matter how good this defense is - there's no Super Bowl window until you have a QB. Bears fans of all people should have learned this lesson by now.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Drafting a QB isn't about next year. It's not even about the current team. It's about taking chances until you find your Watson, Prescott, or Wilson. That means picking guys with flaws and hoping they succeed despite those flaws as all great players do. Many great NFL QBs had major flaws as prospects.

It doesn't matter how good this defense is - there's no Super Bowl window until you have a QB. Bears fans of all people should have learned this lesson by now.

If they take a guy in the 4th and he shows promise in the preseason but ultimately doesn't win the job and the Bears win 6 or 7 games, the new regime's going to get "their guy" and it'll be a waste of a pick...but at least it's a 4th rounder.

If they take a guy in the 2nd and he shows promise in the preseason but ultimately doesn't win the job and the Bears win 6 or 7 games, the new regime's going to get "their guy" and it'll be a waste of a pick...and wasting a 2nd rounder sucks, which is why if their plan is to let Trubisky "compete but win barring something unforeseen" I'd much rather use that pick on a pass rusher, corner or OL.

If they sign/trade for a veteran (Newton, Carr, Dalton), the new regime can still use a 1 next year on "their guy" and play it off as a development year.

Edited by beardown3231

56 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If they take a guy in the 4th and he shows promise in the preseason but ultimately doesn't win the job and the Bears win 6 or 7 games, the new regime's going to get "their guy" and it'll be a waste of a pick...but at least it's a 4th rounder.

If they take a guy in the 2nd and he shows promise in the preseason but ultimately doesn't win the job and the Bears win 6 or 7 games, the new regime's going to get "their guy" and it'll be a waste of a pick...and wasting a 2nd rounder sucks, which is why if their plan is to let Trubisky "compete but win barring something unforeseen" I'd much rather use that pick on a pass rusher, corner or OL.

If they sign/trade for a veteran (Newton, Carr, Dalton), the new regime can still use a 1 next year on "their guy" and play it off as a development year.

Having a 2nd round pick at QB means the new regime doesn’t have to force their QB pick.

They can roll with the 2nd round pick for a year and play with house money.

With the 17th pick it is pretty hard to call your shot are QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Having a 2nd round pick at QB means the new regime doesn’t have to force their QB pick.

They can roll with the 2nd round pick for a year and play with house money.

With the 17th pick it is pretty hard to call your shot are QB.

Much easier than a 2nd round pick because statistically the odds of finding a good player in round 2 as opposed to round 1 get almost cut in half (~25% vs ~15%) and it worsens from there.

A new regime isn't going to hitch themselves to a 2nd round pick from a prior GM if they like a guy even a little bit at #17.