Week 16: LVE neck surgery, done for season

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Staff needs overhauled, and there are quite a few players I would not bring back/cut.

The weird thing is we don't really know who is/might be a problem in the locker room- it's basically all speculation right now on who might be causing problems. IMO, the most obvious player not to bring back for next year is the guy they're gonna start at TE as long as he wants to play.

Bobby Belt thinks we're letting Byron, Quinn, Collins, Bennett, and Brown walk, amongst others- basically every significant player but Dak and Amari. Oh, but not Witten, Lee, or Heath. Probably bring back Crawford on a paycut too. Gross.

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

The weird thing is we don't really know who is/might be a problem in the locker room- it's basically all speculation right now on who might be causing problems. IMO, the most obvious player not to bring back for next year is the guy they're gonna start at TE as long as he wants to play.

Bobby Belt thinks we're letting Byron, Quinn, Collins, Bennett, and Brown walk, amongst others- basically every significant player but Dak and Amari. Oh, but not Witten, Lee, or Heath. Probably bring back Crawford on a paycut too. Gross.

Now see, I'd love to have Quinn and Bennett back. I'm good with letting Maliek go. Byron I would attempt to bring back but I'm also not sad if we let him go. 

Witten's done after this year. I love the guy and it hurts we couldn't get him a ring, but it's clear he's more of a detriment at this point in his career. Crawford...I wouldn't necessarily mind coming back at a reduced cost. He's a good guy, decent player...but I'd probably cut him if it were up to me. Heath and Lee I don't mind having come back either. Just so long as they aren't in a starting role. 

1 minute ago, D82 said:

Now see, I'd love to have Quinn and Bennett back. I'm good with letting Maliek go. Byron I would attempt to bring back but I'm also not sad if we let him go. 

Witten's done after this year. I love the guy and it hurts we couldn't get him a ring, but it's clear he's more of a detriment at this point in his career. Crawford...I wouldn't necessarily mind coming back at a reduced cost. He's a good guy, decent player...but I'd probably cut him if it were up to me. Heath and Lee I don't mind having come back either. Just so long as they aren't in a starting role. 

Oh I think losing Byron would be a complete nightmare given the rest of the secondary. It would guarantee we're relying on rookies and/or worse free agents at CB in a significant capacity- we can't seriously start Chido and Lewis on the outside and expect to compete. Compared to Amari who seems to pout when things aren't going his way (some recency bias here, but still), I love having a CB who shuts the hell up and QBs don't even look at. Unfortunately, he doesn't sell jerseys.

I don't see a reason you can't keep just one of Quinn and Jones in the $12-15M/yr range. If Belt is right about their plan, then that tells me this team's long-term goal is to carry over $10-20M in cap room into the next season every year until the end of time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Oh I think losing Byron would be a complete nightmare given the rest of the secondary. It would guarantee we're relying on rookies and/or worse free agents at CB in a significant capacity- we can't seriously start Chido and Lewis on the outside and expect to compete. Compared to Amari who seems to pout when things aren't going his way (some recency bias here, but still), I love having a CB who shuts the hell up and QBs don't even look at. Unfortunately, he doesn't sell jerseys.

I don't see a reason you can't keep just one of Quinn and Jones in the $12-15M/yr range. If Belt is right about their plan, then that tells me this team's long-term goal is to carry over $10-20M in cap room into the next season every year until the end of time.

I think you bring back Quinn, maybe get Gregory back, spend a 1st on a stud DT and sign a true 1-tech it instantly makes your secondary better.

1 minute ago, D82 said:

I think you bring back Quinn, maybe get Gregory back, spend a 1st on a stud DT and sign a true 1-tech it instantly makes your secondary better.

I'll always stan for Gregory but we can't seriously count on him.

I think there is ample evidence to suggest that building a defense from back-to-front is the way to go now. It's how BAL and NE have done it- lock things down in the secondary and all of a sudden your anonymous, spare parts Front 7 is making plays against distressed offenses. Whereas even the best pass rushes can be outschemed by understanding their preferred rush angles and tells.

I think our scheme/coaching is more of an issue than the actual 1T talent, as much as we could do better there. Having a talented fatty is great but having players who know who's responsible for the play-side A-gap on goal line runs is better.

You can re-sign some of the DBs and then draft Front 7 pieces. Or the other way around. But letting everyone walk while dragging out Dak and Amari's contracts equates to indifferently sitting on $30-40M in space outside of those two because it's more important to win negotiations than championships.

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

41 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

As a huge supporter of Totally Worth a 1st, I would absolutely let Cooper walk before I’d risk losing either Jones/Quinn/both. It’s not even really close tbh.

I dont think Jones is as good as this forum does. He basically only covers #2 wrs and he is going to want #1 CB money. 

He is a good #2 corner.