Week 16: LVE neck surgery, done for season

WizardHawk

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont think Jones is as good as this forum does. He basically only covers #2 wrs and he is going to want #1 CB money. 

He is a good #2 corner. 

He's the only guy to shut down Michael Thomas in the last two years, basically. Shadowed him the first time.

In two years, he's given up 32 YPG, a 52.8% completion rate, and 5 total TDs. That last number is about what we're looking at per cornerback next year if he walks, should we not nail a draft pick.

I don't think playing on the right side for Dallas makes him the second-best CB on any but 7 or 8 teams in the league, at most. Off the top of my head that's about all I've got- Gilmore, White, Ramsey, Peterson, Lattimore, Hayward, Howard, Humphrey, and some of those are close to a toss-up. He's also super young and an elite-elite-elite tier athlete (literally 3rd sigma for NFL players) so you'd think his potential longevity is better than other positions. Again, though, he doesn't sell jerseys

edit: and Dallas plays more single-high than the majority of teams with some of the least impressive safety talent, so, you know, he quite literally gets no help

Edited by matt79511

5 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

He's the only guy to shut down Michael Thomas in the last two years, basically. Shadowed him the first time.

In two years, he's given up 32 YPG, a 52.8% completion rate, and 5 total TDs. That last number is about what we're looking at per cornerback next year if he walks, should we not nail a draft pick.

I don't think playing on the right side for Dallas makes him the second-best CB on any but 7 or 8 teams in the league, at most. Off the top of my head that's about all I've got- Gilmore, White, Ramsey, Peterson, Lattimore, Hayward, Howard, Humphrey, and some of those are close to a toss-up. He's also super young and an elite-elite-elite tier athlete (literally 3rd sigma for NFL players) so you'd think his potential longevity is better than other positions. Again, though, he doesn't sell jerseys

Those numbers are because our most talented CB covers #2 WRs most games. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Those numbers are because our most talented CB covers #2 WRs most games. 

Our most talented CB covers #2 WRs most games because we play sides and teams can avoid him. We could play him at LCB and teams would move their #1 receiver to the opposite side. It's 2019.

There are a lot of very, very good receivers in football- more than there've ever been. Remember the Lions game last year? Stafford had three receivers that week were better than any of ours at the time- Tate, Jones and Golladay. One of them was going up against Byron at all times. Do you know how many targets he got in that game? Zero. Zilch. Nada.

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I've got a baseline for Jones now as well.....

No thanks to that......

Jones is in that 10 million range as far as I'm concerned. I don't pay corners top dollar if they don't play the whole field

Baltimore absolutely killed it with that Peters trade and is taking full advantage of Lamar's rookie deal surrounding him with talent

22 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I've got a baseline for Jones now as well.....

I'm going to assume he gets more than that. He knows his worth to this team.

Very good corners dont typically hit the market and seeing that every team could use another good corner, he will be in demand.