MNF: Packers at Vikings

Malfatron

45 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Yeah I'm going to need a fact or two to back this whole post up. Because from what I seem to recollect, the top offenses in the league tend to fall short come playoff time. So if you've got something, I'd love to see it. 

Yeah what he says isn’t accurate. Those type of teams are rare, and yes, usually do win the championship. But the 2018 Pats, 2017 Eagles, 2016 Pats were definitely not those type of teams. 

32 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Yeah I'm going to need a fact or two to back this whole post up. Because from what I seem to recollect, the top offenses in the league tend to fall short come playoff time. So if you've got something, I'd love to see it. 

Curious so did the knowledge myself, looking at the MOV (so point differential in wins)

2019 Packers- 9.3 PPG (12 wins)

2018 Patriots- 15.5 PPG (11 wins)

2017 Eagles- 14.6 PPG (13 wins)

2016 Patriots- 15.2 PPG (14 wins)

2015 Broncos- 7.3 PPG (12 wins)

2014 Patriots-17.3 PPG (12 wins)

2013 Seahawks- 15.5 PPG (13 wins)

2012 Ravens- 11.4 PPG (10 wins)

2011 Giants- 8.2 PPG (9 wins)

2010 Packers- 16.8 PPG (10 wins)

2009 Saints- 14.8 PPG (13 wins)

The general thinking is that blowing out bad teams is the best indicator of a great team, since close games in the NFL, which you should expect against a good team and in the playoffs, are decided by such razor thin margins that winning/losing them ultimately doesn't mean all that much in predicting performance going forward (ie luck plays a factor). Of course teams like the Cowboys that take it to the extreme, who have managed to beat only 1 team with a winning record while blowing out plenty of bad team, show that this thinking is far from perfect as it assumes close games are "luck" and not one team being able to perform in crunch time. 

Also, this obviously just doesn't work if you're winning with defense, as we see with the 2015 Broncos.

12 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Not having Cook tonight didn't help but your O line had no answers for our pass rush.  Cook most likely will be back for the post season but if your line plays like this it won't matter who your RB is.

Yep.  We were crushed in the trenches tonight.  We aren't winning any Super Bowls with an offensive line as weak as this one. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Curious so did the knowledge myself, looking at the MOV (so point differential in wins)

Me looking for that elusive 39 average point differential...

Image result for squint

I hate to go back in time, but early season, on MNF the Packers were pretty much gifted a win by terrible officiating. (The famous “hands to the face” calls, plus given a TD that was clearly down at the 1, and other mistakes). The Lions got as badly screwed by the refs as any team ever (except maybe the Pats against the Chiefs).

We tell each other it’s “just one game”, and “things even out”, but this “one game” could be the difference between a possible first seed, or a wild card slot. Between playing in Lambeau or having to go Seattle or NO.

This isn’t about saltiness or dissing the Packers - as an AFC fan I have no dog in this fight - but the importance of competent officiating. Something needs to be done to improve the standard (which is pretty bad), and punish terrible mistakes.

In a season of only 16 games,  “just one game” means a lot.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Should be a really good game.

Can the Packers become the worst 12-3 of all time?

sources say yes.

Prediction:

Packers 26 Vikings 22

I knew I should have taken the time to create the MNF game thread yesterday.  You really put the whammy on what should have been a sure-fire Vikings win yesterday, Malf.  I sure hope you're happy with yourself!   ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Yep. Most quarterbacks are their situation / circumstance. It's not acknowledged enough.  There are very few elite quarterbacks that can overcome their situations; that's what makes them elite. 

Which is why I try not to get hung up on guys like Tannehil, Dalton, or Cousins having great seasons. We know who/what they are. And I don’t mean to say this as a dig. It’s fine that that’s who they are. You can very clearly have a lot of team success if everything is clicking for them. Just don’t expect rosy results when you have to be dependent on them to function as an offense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The general thinking is that blowing out bad teams is the best indicator of a great team, since close games in the NFL, which you should expect against a good team and in the playoffs, are decided by such razor thin margins that winning/losing them ultimately doesn't mean all that much in predicting performance going forward (ie luck plays a factor). Of course teams like the Cowboys that take it to the extreme, who have managed to beat only 1 team with a winning record while blowing out plenty of bad team, show that this thinking is far from perfect as it assumes close games are "luck" and not one team being able to perform in crunch time. 

Also, this obviously just doesn't work if you're winning with defense, as we see with the 2015 Broncos.

I think a lot of people who don’t follow the Packers realize they’ve had double digit leads in the 4th in 10 games this year. They’ve been up and gone into prevent. Their point differential could easily be more impressive.

I will say I do think the O lacks some juice. Outside Adams the wr core is bad

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

2 teams are above 19 PPG this season

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I hate to go back in time, but early season, on MNF the Packers were pretty much gifted a win by terrible officiating. (The famous “hands to the face” calls, plus given a TD that was clearly down at the 1, and other mistakes). The Lions got as badly screwed by the refs as any team ever (except maybe the Pats against the Chiefs).

We tell each other it’s “just one game”, and “things even out”, but this “one game” could be the difference between a possible first seed, or a wild card slot. Between playing in Lambeau or having to go Seattle or NO.

This isn’t about saltiness or dissing the Packers - as an AFC fan I have no dog in this fight - but the importance of competent officiating. Something needs to be done to improve the standard (which is pretty bad), and punish terrible mistakes.

In a season of only 16 games,  “just one game” means a lot.

Not looking to argue, but do you mean the Kerryon Johnson TD where he was likely down at the 1? Unless my memory is failing me