4-3 but who plays where

LoganF89

So for some reason I feel like next year with a new head coach that we will end up back in the 4-3 but I’m curious to what a starting front 7 would look like if we select chase young, would Allen play DE or tackle? I’m curious bc if he plays Tackle alongside Payne then that would essentially delegate Ioannidis to the bench. I think Allen is athletic enough to play the edge on a 4-3 but would like to see y’alls front 7 if we did switch. Idk how I feel about sweat playing coverage, he’s plenty fast but I’m just unsure.

Sweat                         SDH                          Foster

Allen          Payne                Ioannidis            Young

would that work? Or would you explore a trade of one of our interior guys like Ioannidis who could prob fetch a 2nd to 3rd rounder and go

Anderson                  SDH                      Foster

Sweat               Allen          Payne                Young

im of course assuming we trade Kerrigan if young is picked but if young isn’t the pick then

Anderson                  SDH                  Foster

Sweat                Allen            Payne           Kerrigan

just confused on what personnel you guys think would work the best

While I wouldn't like it bc I think Allen would be playing out of position, I think they’d move Allen to LDE to power rush against RTs (like Phillip Daniels used to) on 1st downs/rundowns. On passing downs (like 2/3 of the plays)Allen, Ioannidis and Payne would rotate on the interior.

I think they should re-sign Bostic to play MLB no matter which scheme they play. He's not expensive and if they draft someone better, they can always cut him in July/August.

Reuben Foster and Holcolmb can compete to be the SLB, SDH & JHC can compete to be the WLB.

If they draft Chase Young, Sweat might actually not be a starter, he might play most of the snaps though as we will be in our nickel/passing downs D most of the time.

Edited by turtle28

Holcomb                        SDH                          Foster

Sweat          Payne                Ioannidis            Anderson

With what we have on the roster,that would be my starting set.Now if we draft Young you slide him in in place of Anderson.A 4 man rotation at tackle with Allen and Settle.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of changing defenses yet again.  Add in that teams have multiple personnel looks with more nickel and dime packages, it really doesn't matter what your base defense is anymore.  In this instance, I think the three-man front provides the most flexibility and variety.  At the same time, we've also never had a true defensive mastermind behind a 3-4 defense come in and implement the defense aside from Jim Haslett, who was still transitioning the defense.  

I say keep it as it is.  

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone has noticed or not?

But the 2 coaches(Marvin Lewis & Ron Rivera) that are connected to coach the Redskins are both Defensive minded coaches....

But also 4-3 personnel base package coaches.

Which means...we may be going back to the 4-3 package personnel.

DE/Young#DT/Payne#DT/Allen#DE/Sweat

Thank you!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Which is Redskins football, baby!!

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed or not?

But the 2 coaches(Marvin Lewis & Ron Rivera) that are connected to coach the Redskins are both Defensive minded coaches....

But also 4-3 personnel base package coaches.

Which means...we may be going back to the 4-3 package personnel.

DE/Young#DT/Payne#DT/Allen#DE/Sweat

Thank you!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Which is Redskins football, baby!!

Yes! Then we’ll have a top 5 defense!

6 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I’m assuming we try to trade Ioannidis for a 2nd rounder then? Would be paying him too much and too good a talent to keep on the bench

I doubt we trade any of our DL. I think we’d start Allen at LDE and then rotate him, Ioannidis & Payne when we are in the nickel. Allen can be a run stuffing DE like Daniels and Wynn were for us last decade. He just isn’t going to be beating anyone around the corner on a pass rush.

Edited by turtle28

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I doubt we trade any of our DL. I think we’d start Allen at LDE and then rotate him, Ioannidis & Payne when we are in the nickel. Allen can be a run stuffing DE like Daniels and Wynn were for us last decade. He just isn’t going to be beating anyone around the corner on a pass rush.

Im just trying to think of a way Sweat, Young, Ioannidis, Payne, and Allen would be on the field at all times.

Sweat is fast but would really have to work on his coverage and I wouldn’t want to take Young off the edge either

On 12/28/2019 at 12:48 PM, Woz said:

The funny thing is that at this point I think @naptownskinsfan and @e16bball are right: leave it alone. They've drafted (albeit slowly and poorly) for the 3-4 for a decade, even though they don't play in a three man front all that much.

Just another facet of the stupidity that is Bruce Allen.

The funniest thing is that now I’m finding myself leaning towards going 4-3 with a new defensive staff 😂

In terms of getting all of our best players on the field at the same time, I think a 3-4 probably is the best option. That’s the only real way to get Young, Sweat, Ioannidis, Allen, and Payne all out there in the base alignment. 

But is that really how it works? This year, the 3 down linemen (Greek, Payne, Allen) have played an average of about 720 snaps so far, or just about 2/3 of our total defensive snaps. In other words, we’re worrying about the fact that we can only get 2 of the 3 of them on the field at one time — but they’re each only playing 2/3 of the snaps in the 3-4 anyway. So we’d still be getting basically the same impact out of all three of those guys, and I’d argue even more impact because guys like Allen and Greek would get better matchups and more one-on-ones. It would definitely be a negative for Settle, but I don’t think the 4th DT can be a major consideration in determining the defensive alignment. 

Beyond the personnel, I’m just so tired of seeing our best pass-rushers getting isolated on backs and TEs or dropping into shallow zones. I want Young and Sweat freed up to rush the passer on pretty much all but gadgety plays — I don’t mind them dropping into the flats in little robber zones every now and again, but for the most part I want their ears pinned back and hunting QBs. 

If we get a 3-4 coordinator who will turn those guys loose, that’s one thing. But even still, that puts a lot of pressure on the ILBs and DBs to be able to cover with just 6 in the base defense.