4-3 but who plays where

LoganF89

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

The funniest thing is that now I’m finding myself leaning towards going 4-3 with a new defensive staff 😂

In terms of getting all of our best players on the field at the same time, I think a 3-4 probably is the best option. That’s the only real way to get Young, Sweat, Ioannidis, Allen, and Payne all out there in the base alignment. 

But is that really how it works? This year, the 3 down linemen (Greek, Payne, Allen) have played an average of about 720 snaps so far, or just about 2/3 of our total defensive snaps. In other words, we’re worrying about the fact that we can only get 2 of the 3 of them on the field at one time — but they’re each only playing 2/3 of the snaps in the 3-4 anyway. So we’d still be getting basically the same impact out of all three of those guys, and I’d argue even more impact because guys like Allen and Greek would get better matchups and more one-on-ones. It would definitely be a negative for Settle, but I don’t think the 4th DT can be a major consideration in determining the defensive alignment. 

Beyond the personnel, I’m just so tired of seeing our best pass-rushers getting isolated on backs and TEs or dropping into shallow zones. I want Young and Sweat freed up to rush the passer on pretty much all but gadgety plays — I don’t mind them dropping into the flats in little robber zones every now and again, but for the most part I want their ears pinned back and hunting QBs. 

If we get a 3-4 coordinator who will turn those guys loose, that’s one thing. But even still, that puts a lot of pressure on the ILBs and DBs to be able to cover with just 6 in the base defense.  

Going to be interesting to see what the Riv does at LB, because he’s a former NFL and has that mentality at heart. I could see Rivera bringing back Jon Bostic to be the MLB in his D. We’ll probably draft a few though. We can’t rely on Reuben Foster bc of his injury and also off the field issues in the past. Holcomb has promise, but I’m not sold he’s a starter in a good to great defense. I think SDH or JHC can man the WLB position, both have good speed for a LB and coverage ability. 

Edited by turtle28

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Going to be interesting to see what the Riv does at LB, because he’s a former NFL and has that mentality at heart. I could see Rivera bringing back Jon Bostic to be the MLB in his D. We’ll probably draft a few though. We can’t rely on Reuben Foster bc of his injury and also off the field issues in the past. Holcomb has promise, but I’m not sold he’s a starter in a good to great defense. I think SDH or JHC can man the WLB position, both have good speed for a LB and coverage ability. 

There’s no way Bostic comes back with Foster being healthy and Holcomb backing him up. 

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

Beyond the personnel, I’m just so tired of seeing our best pass-rushers getting isolated on backs and TEs or dropping into shallow zones. I want Young and Sweat freed up to rush the passer on pretty much all but gadgety plays — I don’t mind them dropping into the flats in little robber zones every now and again, but for the most part I want their ears pinned back and hunting QBs. 

tenor.gif?ctx=share

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There’s no way Bostic comes back with Foster being healthy and Holcomb backing him up. 

How do we know Foster is going to be anywhere close to 100% after his horrific knee injury? I think it’d be smart to have both of them compete for the job. Bostic won’t be that expensive.