4-3 but who plays where

LoganF89

51 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm gonna go with this:

OLB Shaq Thompson (FA Signing) ------- MLB Cole Holcomb ------- OLB Ryan Anderson

DE Montez Sweat ------- DT Jon Allen ------- DT Daron Payne ------- DE Chase Young

Ioannidis and Kerrigan don't start but are heavily in the rotation.  

Shaq got extended. 

edit: just saw @turtle28 that

Edited by MikeT14

However it looks, I certainly hope Ron Rivera can find good MLB. Haven’t had one since London Fletcher. 

As crazy as this may sound, I don’t hate the idea of having Landon Collins add 15 lbs and play MLB. He does great in the box and is the captain of that D. Would allow us to find safeties who can actually cover. 

Edited by A TRAIN 89
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m going to assume the Bama boys will be our backers. 

Young Ioannidis/Allen Payne Sweat

SDH Foster Anderson

Kendall Fuller Apke Collins Dunbar 

This is what I see happening. 

if Apke starts next year im done.......

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

if Apke starts next year im done.......

I hated the pick. Thought he should be cut this year. He’s progressed as a player and you can’t coach his speed. I’d give him a shot and if he sucks then you know we need a safety. We aren’t filling all of these roster holes in one off-season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

However it looks, I certainly hope Ron Rivera can find good MLB. Haven’t had one since London Fletcher. 

As crazy as this may sound, I don’t hate the idea of having Landon Collins add 15 lbs and play MLB. He does great in the box and is the captain of that D. Would allow us to find safeties who can actually cover. 

It’s more likely that Collins switches to WLB if they moved him to LB like Rivera and the Panthers did with Shaq Thompson.

Either way, I doubt it happens. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone ever think the NFL will ever run a 3-3-5 defense like some teams do in college?

Team's like Iowa St and WVU run a 3-3-5. A NT, 1 player the size of a DT/3-4 DE, 1 player the size of a 4-3 DE, 3 LBs and 3 safeties with one of the safeties being the size of a SS. 

It could be a good D to run, it would confuse blocking schemes. It’d also be nice to have 3 safeties on the field for most downs, we did that back in 2009 or was it 10 some with Chris Horton playing in the box as a safety.

For us currently it would look like this:

DE - Allen/Sweat/Kerrigan

NT- Payne/Settle

DT- Ioannidis/Hester?

SLB- Holcomb/Anderson

MLB- Foster or Bostic?

WLB- SDH/JHC

SS- Collins (playing in the box most snaps)

SS- Nicholson or Everett

FS- Apke

Edited by turtle28

This is one way to do it (Starter, backup)

LDE - (Kerrigan, Sweat)            DT - Allen, Ioannidas                  NT - Payne, Settle              RDE - Chase Young, TBD   (****)

SAM - SDH, TBD    (*****)                                  MIKE - Holcomb, TBD  (*****)                               WILL - Rueben Foster, JHC

LCB - Norman, Moreland, Moreau (**)        Nickel - Moreland, Johnson, TBD (**)                      RCB - Dunbar, TBD (***)

SS- Collins, Everett                                         FS - Nicholson, TBD (*) 

Obviously we need to get some LBs in here quickly. And Kerrigan is only starting for now. Eventually he will give way to Sweat over the season or in 2021.

And this does not mean we don't try to upgrade at these positions in FA or the draft.

(*) Apke, and Reaves can play FS some. So I guess we can possibly put them as backups for now

(**) I'd have Moreland back up Norman. He is a more natural fit on the outside. But I do have him as the starting nickel DB if Moreau is the 2nd string outside CB

(***) Not sure who to put here as the backup

(****) Either draft someone or see what Anderson can do since he's under contract

(*****) Biggest holes in the defense is we switch. Need to get some 4-3 Sam and Mike LBs in quickly.

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is one way to do it (Starter, backup)

LDE - (Kerrigan, Sweat)            DT - Allen, Ioannidas                  NT - Payne, Settle              RDE - Chase Young, TBD   (****)

SAM - SDH, TBD    (*****)                                  MIKE - Holcomb, TBD  (*****)                               WILL - Rueben Foster, JHC

LCB - Norman, Moreland, Moreau (**)        Nickel - Moreland, Johnson, TBD (**)                      RCB - Dunbar, TBD (***)

SS- Collins, Everett                                         FS - Nicholson, TBD (*) 

Obviously we need to get some LBs in here quickly. And Kerrigan is only starting for now. Eventually he will give way to Sweat over the season or in 2021.

(*) Apke, and Reaves can play FS some. So I guess we can possibly put them as backups for now

(**) I'd have Moreland back up Norman. He is a more natural fit on the outside. But I do have him as the starting nickel DB if Moreau is the 2nd string outside CB

(***) Not sure who to put here as the backup

(****) Either draft someone or see what Anderson can do since he's under contract

(*****) Biggest holes in the defense is we switch. Need to get some 4-3 Sam and Mike LBs in quickly.

I'm pretty sure Apke is a FS, there's an outside chance he's our starting FS if we don't sign a better option. Aren’t SDH & JHC WLB’S? 

Agreed w/ needing a SAM, I think Foster or Holcomb could do it, but it wouldn’t be ideal - we also can’t rely that Foster will be back to near 100% in September . Also, Ryan Anderson would be a SAM. I think we need a starting SAM though, I don’t want Anderson starting in his first year as a 4-3 OLB - that’d probably be a disaster when he has to drop in coverage.

As you pointed out, Foster definitely fits better at MLB or WLB than a SLB. SDH & JHC are definitely WLB’s. SDH (6’ 236 LBs) JHC (6’4, 245 LBs).

Bottomline we need to find starters at every position if we want a great LB corps but we could get by with just finding a starting SAM in FA and could have a very young but possibly good LB corps w/:

SLB: Foster or Free agent, Anderson

MLB: Foster or Holcomb

WLB: SDH, JHC

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, A TRAIN 89 said:

I hear you, but it’d be much easier to just move him to WLB, he wouldn’t have to put on weight to play there.

Apparently finding great coverage safeties is the hardest thing to do in the world bc we’ve only done it twice this century!!... (Clark and Taylor)

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm pretty sure Apke is a FS, there's an outside chance he's our starting FS if we don't sign a better option. Aren’t SDH & JHC WLB’S? 

Yeah, I put Apke there as FS backup but if he can somehow turn it all on in the new defense, he has the speed to do it.

As for SDH and JHC, I dunno. I kinda don't know where to put them and I think I'd like to try SDH as SAM to see if he could cut it. I really want to see Holcomb and another draft pick/FA as the Mike, with Rueben Foster in the Will. I think we need a SAM as well as a MIKE backer in this FA/draft.

Agreed w/ needing a SAM, I think Foster or Holcomb could do it, but it wouldn’t be ideal - we also can’t rely that Foster will be back to near 100% in September . Also, Ryan Anderson would be a SAM. I think we need a starting SAM though, I don’t want Anderson starting in his first year as a 4-3 OLB - that’d probably be a disaster when he has to drop in coverage.

See, here's what's interesting. I don't know what to do with Anderson. Like you said, I don't want to trust him at SAM in the 4-3. But was curious as to what we could do with him as Young's backup at RDE. It's an intriguing thought experiment though.

Bottomline we need to find starters at every position if we want a great LB corps but we could get by with just finding a starting SAM in FA and could have a very young but possibly good LB corps w/:

SLB: Foster or Free agent, Anderson

MLB: Foster or Holcomb

WLB: SDH, JHC

Yeah, I mean our most obvious need is a SAM in the 4-3. I just think we could try SDH over there just in case. I'm still intrigued by Foster and will go round and round about where to best put him. Just don't know because I've seen nothing from him yet (for good reason - he was injured)