4-3 but who plays where

LoganF89

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, I put Apke there as FS backup but if he can somehow turn it all on in the new defense, he has the speed to do it.

As for SDH and JHC, I dunno. I kinda don't know where to put them and I think I'd like to try SDH as SAM to see if he could cut it. I really want to see Holcomb and another draft pick/FA as the Mike, with Rueben Foster in the Will. I think we need a SAM as well as a MIKE backer in this FA/draft.

See, here's what's interesting. I don't know what to do with Anderson. Like you said, I don't want to trust him at SAM in the 4-3. But was curious as to what we could do with him as Young's backup at RDE. It's an intriguing thought experiment though.

Yeah, I mean our most obvious need is a SAM in the 4-3. I just think we could try SDH over there just in case. I'm still intrigued by Foster and will go round and round about where to best put him. Just don't know because I've seen nothing from him yet (for good reason - he was injured)

My worry with SDH as a SAM is his size, he’s our smallest LB. So, why put our smallest LB on the strong side?

That doesn’t make much sense to me. That’s why I said I’d rather see Holcomb or Foster put there bc Foster is 6’1, 245 and Holcomb is 6’1, 240. SDH is 6’ 236, not a big difference but there is a difference in size there.

Now, another interesting idea to me is to try JHC at SLB, he’s 6’4, 245 pounds. I’m apprehensive about that though bc he was a college SS, so I question how well he can play on the strong side but he’s been playing LB since coming to the league 4 years ago. So, maybe he can do it.

Bottom line is I don’t know how they don’t at least sign a vet LB to compete with the young guys for the MLB or SLB spot. Seems like a given to me that they need to do that at the least for this Lb corps.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Not sure I'd really count on Foster for anything at the moment.  Not only the massive knee blowout, but his shoulder is essentially shot as well.  It was a concern pre-draft, and he injured it in his second year with the 49ers, to the point where you can plainly see on the tape he's playing with one arm, which affects his tackling form, ability to cover and shed blocks.  

Otherwise, I'm still not sure how the rest of our linebackers transition to a 4-3, but if there is any roster spot where we can spend money, it's there.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’m hoping Rams don’t have the cap space to re-sign him. I’m thinking somewhere between 12.5m-13.5m based on the comparables I saw. 

The Rams don’t have the cap space to keep Littleton. They have made trades the last two years to get high paid defensive players like Fowler & Ramsey on top of Donald. On top of that, they have a very expensive offense. I think they have to find a way to trade Cooks. It sucks he’s a great deep threat but they have a replacement in house with Reynolds, he’s just too expensive to keep.

I’d sign Littleton for an avg of $12 million  for sure. Next year the cap hit will probably be a little more than half of that. If we cut Norman and sign Littleton, the cap hit from cutting more = $12.5 million too. Haha 🤣