Greg Williams Defence.

Kiwibrown

I think if we had the offensive line we have this year last year that we win 3 or 4 games. Therefore the expectations this year should be more than 3 wins and we've played probably 2 of the three weakest teams on our schedule so far and haven't pulled out a win yet. When you are building you should see progress, it doesn't mean it will be built in a year but if you haven't even begun to pour the foundation yet then there certainly should be some concern.

Of course this is just Tuesday evening of week 2 so maybe by the end of the week we'll see something that we can get excited about.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think if we had the offensive line we have this year last year that we win 3 or 4 games. Therefore the expectations this year should be more than 3 wins and we've played probably 2 of the three weakest teams on our schedule so far and haven't pulled out a win yet. When you are building you should see progress, it doesn't mean it will be built in a year but if you haven't even begun to pour the foundation yet then there certainly should be some concern.

Of course this is just Tuesday evening of week 2 so maybe by the end of the week we'll see something that we can get excited about.

It all boils down to a few things.  Regression of QB play.  Regression of Crowell, missing Pryor at WR, and we kept the wrong kicker (as I predicted when the decision was made).  Its not our oline, that has improved, its not our D, that has been leaps and bounds better than last year.  Perhaps offensive playcalling as well.  We need a very good OC because Hue seems in over his head trying to be OC and HC.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

That's a fair stance, but if we one win right now does that change anything moving forward?  

No, we're not going to be a 5 win team this year, but so what?  We've seen 4-6 win teams time after time and it never meant progress.

This is a long term rebuild and we're in year 2.  To continue your analogy, there have been some delays with the foundation, but it doesn't mean the home won't be built right in the end.

5 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

It all boils down to a few things.  Regression of QB play.  Regression of Crowell, missing Pryor at WR, and we kept the wrong kicker (as I predicted when the decision was made).  Its not our oline, that has improved, its not our D, that has been leaps and bounds better than last year.  Perhaps offensive playcalling as well.  We need a very good OC because Hue seems in over his head trying to be OC and HC.

Is the new OC going to catch the balls for us?, Is he going to prevent Coleman from false starting or being called for holding? If so, count me in.

14 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Is the new OC going to catch the balls for us?, Is he going to prevent Coleman from false starting or being called for holding? If so, count me in.

...or get our WR to separate

...or get us more playmakers at the WR position/Red Zone threats in the draft/free agency

...or get us a legitimate starting RB in the NFL

...or get us a legitimate Franchise QBOTF

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

...or get our WR to separate

...or get us more playmakers at the WR position/Red Zone threats in the draft/free agency

...or get us a legitimate starting RB in the NFL

...or get us a legitimate Franchise QBOTF

No but it will allow Hue to hopefully make better decisions as a head coach in timeout/game clock usage with cost us games or opportunities at least 

12 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

No he is not.  However, our WRs are not as far away as some think.  Coleman, Williams, Higgins, Treggs, and Louis all have a solid role on our roster.  We just need Coleman to stay healthy, and a true do it all #1 WR.  I like DeValve and Njoku at TE.  If we fix the playcalling, fix the QB, and get that true #1 WR we will have an offense that can match our current defense next year.

2 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

No he is not.  However, our WRs are not as far away as some think.  Coleman, Williams, Higgins, Treggs, and Louis all have a solid role on our roster.  We just need Coleman to stay healthy, and a true do it all #1 WR.  I like DeValve and Njoku at TE.  If we fix the playcalling, fix the QB, fix the RB and get that true #1 WR we will have an offense that can match our current defense next year.

Greg Williams is a proven commodity, give him enough talent and he will put a great defense on the field that is productive. However, right now, it does not matter how good or bad our defense is, our offense cannot sustain drives and score points, putting immense pressure on the defense, which is on the field for most of the game and any defense will crack if they are put into this type of position. So, until our offense is a least average, our defense may well struggle to be effective especially late in games, when our players will be very tired from being on the field for so much of the time.

All our attention in the draft in 2018, much be on our offense, get the offense up to be competitive and our defense will be fine.

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Greg Williams is a proven commodity, give him enough talent and he will put a great defense on the field that is productive. However, right now, it does not matter how good or bad our defense is, our offense cannot sustain drives and score points, putting immense pressure on the defense, which is on the field for most of the game and any defense will crack if they are put into this type of position. So, until our offense is a least average, our defense may well struggle to be effective especially late in games, when our players will be very tired from being on the field for so much of the time.

All our attention in the draft in 2018, much be on our offense, get the offense up to be competitive and our defense will be fine.

I would not say ALL of the draft.  We need to land our QB with number one overall.  No trading down next year, unlike this year, there should be QBs worthy of being #1 overall.  We need the best WR in the draft with Houston's pick, and a great RB in round 2.  Also don't sleep on FA.  We could land a couple of studs there too.

Call me crazy, but I actually predict a home coming for Pryor next year.  Things are not working out well for him in Washington.  He won't get that contract he was wanting in the league from any team.  I could see him coming home to work with Saunders to resurrect that promise from last year.

10 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

No he is not.  However, our WRs are not as far away as some think.  Coleman, Williams, Higgins, Treggs, and Louis all have a solid role on our roster.  We just need Coleman to stay healthy, and a true do it all #1 WR.  I like DeValve and Njoku at TE.  If we fix the playcalling, fix the QB, and get that true #1 WR we will have an offense that can match our current defense next year.

Agree

The WRs seem to be able to catch the ball when Hogan throws it.

Archived