Mock draft

Magnus-Viktor

I see this as an offense early and often type draft.  I would have said we need to keep adding WRs, TEs, RBs, and always a quality OL whenever possible, but in need of fixing the D, if not for the Minkah trade.  I think we still need some work on the back end due to depth and could use a LB or two, but the D is good and the O is absolutely anemic.  Whether Ben comes back or not is 100% irrelevant to me.  He's damn near as old as me, and he was regressing big time in recent years, being horrible at times, but still showing the magic and future HOF talent at times.  

Now with no 1st, the only question is what QBs will be around in 2, or within range of trading up (without a 3rd, but with an extra 4th) to get a QB.  

I did a simulation on first-pick, and Jacob Eason was available in 2.  Jake Fromm tends to be around close to that pick as well.  I've liked Eason since he was a true freshman at Georgia.  Same with Fromm from when he was a true freshman the next year when Eason got hurt and Fromm took his starting job.  Eason is more my style with the much better height and arm.  I don't like mediocre arms like Fromm's, even though I like him as a backup/game manager type.  

2.  Jacob Eason, QB, Washington - He needs some more development, but you can't teach his size and arm.  He can throw a really pretty ball, but I've seen him do some bizarre spin moves backwards from the pass rush, among other things, that make me question the mental aspect a bit.  (I've watched him quite a bit....there's a lot there to work with, especially if Ben sticks around a year or two)

4.  Ashtyn Davis, S, Cal - An athletic S to play as the 3rd S that the Steelers were trying to roll with when they had Burnett, Davis and Edmunds.  I'm not sold at all on Edmunds, no one is sold on Davis, but we do have Minkah.  Played some in the slot as well, so he's pretty versatile.  He's a track guy, so he has some serious athleticism at 6'1" 200.  

5.  Tanner Muse, S, Clemson - I actually see him as a box-only safety or nickel linebacker, even though he tended to play a center field type safety role at Clemson.  Just keep working on that middle of the field coverage that killed the team for years, and this guy should be great against TEs.  I've seen his size listed varying from 6'2" to 6'4", but usually around 230 lbs.  

6.  Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU - Always need more depth at CB, and he's a burner.

6.  Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland - A speed back

6.  Stephen Guidry, WR, Miss State - A 6'4" fast WR

7.  Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor - Another big WR with a big catch radius and sprinter speed

7.  Charles Snowden, OLB, Virginia - A 6'7" lanky and athletic linebacker.  Needs to put on about 30 lbs of muscle at a minimum but might be something to develop there.  

I haven't gotten into the draft a whole lot yet this year.  All the WRs I really liked were gone and I couldn't pass up Jacob Eason for any of them anyway.  I think there will be an OL taken somewhere in there, but I don't know of any just yet.  The CB for Clemson, AJ Terrell, was available in 2, and I like him a lot, but can't pass up a QB for him.  

Your score is: 30026 (GRADE: C+)

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 22: Jacob Eason, QB, Washington (A)
Round 4 Pick 32 (BALT): Ashtyn Davis, FS/SS, California (A-)
Round 5 Pick 7: Tanner Muse, SS/FS, Clemson (A-)
Round 6 Pick 22: Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU (A-)
Round 6 Pick 27 (G.B.): Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland (A+)
Round 6 Pick 32 (BALT): Stephen Guidry, WR, Mississippi State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 22: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (A)
Round 7 Pick 32 (G.B.): Charles Snowden, OLB, Virginia (A+)

For what it's worth, they didn't like my draft at all.  I didn't take any DE, DT, OL, etc, that they kept wanting me to pick.  I went with the BPA IMO.   

1 minute ago, cjfollett said:

I watch PAC-12 football a lot. So, I am surprised you have your top 2 from the PAC-12.

Eason is not a 2nd rounder. He'll be lucky to be drafted in the 5th.

I suppose Davis is okay in the 4th, but ignoring TE for the Steelers this year is criminal.

I think it's a pretty weak TE class overall. @AlanFanecaFan pointed out that we might be interested in a Jesse James reunion. I'd rather do that than blow a pick on a TE that takes 3 years to develop. Vannett - James - Gentry is a pretty awful TE room, but with good WRs that's not too bad. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it's a pretty weak TE class overall. @AlanFanecaFan pointed out that we might be interested in a Jesse James reunion. I'd rather do that than blow a pick on a TE that takes 3 years to develop. Vannett - James - Gentry is a pretty awful TE room, but with good WRs that's not too bad. 

not sure we have the money for either but hooper or ebron could be very good in our offense. I would love either and then address rb in the draft to get a more dynamic guy with some speed ala travis etienne.  I like our rbs but there is no game breaker between them and our best cant stay healthy. If we have a 80% Ben, a good te(hooper or ebron) and add a different type of rb to force the other team to play to the sidelines instead of just loading up the box, I dont think we need to do anything to the wr group then. All the things going against our offense this season is that teams dont have to cover the entire field. They crowd the line, stack the box because we have  aqb who cant stretch the defense with his arm, or a rb that can get to the edge. Over the last decade the reason our offense was so potent at times is because it could threaten any part of the field at any time. 1 lapse and we were putting up points. We are only a couple pieces away from getting back there imo

For clarification, I’m not saying I want them to after Jamed if he’s released...I’m saying there’s a good chance they try to resign him.

Id probably be more inclined to cut Vance, resign Vannett to a #2 TE type deal for $2-3 mill per and sign Ebron.

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

Hunter Henry would be a very good FA TE, I think.

Agree on QB in 2. There won't be anyone good enough to improve the team when we pick. 

DT (M.Wilson, N.Gallimore) could be the pick if we let Hargrave go and keep Dupree.

I think he’ll make a little too much. I’d love to have him, though. We’ve had such great success with oft injured Chargers TEs lol. I would like to sign him honestly.

Here is my Christmas mock:

2. Jonathan Taylor  RB, Wisconsin

3. Neville Gallimore , NT, Oklahoma

4a. Nick Harris, Inside OL, Washington

4b. Robert Hunt, OT, louisiana -Lafayette 

5. Nico Collins, WR, Michigan

6. Essang Bassey, S, Virginia Tech

7. Kamal Martin, ILB, Minnesota 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mwalker said:

Hunter Henry would be a very good FA TE, I think.

Agree on QB in 2. There won't be anyone good enough to improve the team when we pick. 

DT (M.Wilson, N.Gallimore) could be the pick if we let Hargrave go and keep Dupree.

What would Henry cost though? If he is more reliable that vance, it's an option, because vance gets hurt too often. This team is always out of cap space, so the options in UFA will be limited as usual

Something this team should consider is acquiring players that are more durable, because the injury bug might not be a coincidence with some players due to their style of play among other things

The Steelers are not signing any non-Steeler FA.  If they do it will be someone like Mycole Pruitt or Seth Devalve.

It will be interesting to see if they keep Dupree.  The estimated market value for him is $16.5M per year.  Amazingly, that is about the same as if he were Franchised.  You could sign him to a contract like Za'Darius Smith.  I just see no way they keep Dupree and Hargrave.  They must tender Feller and I would guess they tender Hilton and Canaday.  You  would think they would want to sign Vannett and Matakevich.

To Transition Hargraves will cost $12M.  The only way they have a chance is to not franchise Dupree but extend him before he hits FA.  THat gives some flexability.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/bud-dupree-16746/market-value/