Jump to content
Pandomonium

Witherspoon v Moseley

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So they pulled Spoon in favor of Moseley on that last defensive stand. Not sure how that affects the dyanmic of the secondary going forward. Its too late in the year to start playing musical chairs with these guys. I know Spoon gave up some TDs so I can understand why they went with Moseley but Moseley gave up some catches in his short amount of time also. Pick a guy and stick with him...for better or for worst. Guys should know their roles heading into the playoffs. Whether its Spoon or E-Man, they need to make a decision and stick with it. 

The thing that worries me is that Spoon strikes me as the type that may be a little emotionally fragile? Like, getting benched mid game may spin him out moving forward, so that's something I will be watching for. Moseley has definitely come back down to earth, though he did have one nice pass breakup in this one. But he's so small too. Guys like DK are a problem for him. He was in the first game against Seattle and in the short amount of time in this one, he didn't fair much better. Julio had his way with both of them as well. I don't know what the answer is here. I feel like Moseley may actually still be playing slightly better, but I have concerns about both, and even more from the defense as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forge said:

The thing that worries me is that Spoon strikes me as the type that may be a little emotionally fragile? Like, getting benched mid game may spin him out moving forward, so that's something I will be watching for. Moseley has definitely come back down to earth, though he did have one nice pass breakup in this one. But he's so small too. Guys like DK are a problem for him. He was in the first game against Seattle and in the short amount of time in this one, he didn't fair much better. Julio had his way with both of them as well. I don't know what the answer is here. I feel like Moseley may actually still be playing slightly better, but I have concerns about both, and even more from the defense as a whole.

That's excatly why I feel like they have to nip this in the bud before they completely ruin Spoon's confidence. I mean Williams struggled mightily all game as well...but he was on the field to close out the game. The optics just don't look right here....like they're making Spoon the scapegoat when really I feel like Saleh didn't adjust to how Seattle was identifying the coverage and didn't mix it up on the back-end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the catches Spoon allowed today bothered except the TD to Metcalf. The other catches came when Wilson had all day to throw or when the blitz didn't get home. Part of the reason for that is that our corners get in bail technique and then the comeback routes are extremely difficult to stop. When Moseley came in the game, he pretty much allowed the same types of catches. But I just hated Spoon's technique on the Metcalf TD. It is one thing to take the slant away, but he was too high on his technique and made it way too easy. 

Anyways, if our pass rush doesn't improve, then it won't matter who is playing back there. They will get eaten up in spots. Williams I thought had the worst game of the bunch. Allowed a lot of big 3rd downs and then committed the PI penalty when it was going to be 3rd and long. Though the penalty was questionable. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Anyways, if our pass rush doesn't improve, then it won't matter who is playing back there

This.

And you are right, Williams was actually a low key brutal tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

So they pulled Spoon in favor of Moseley on that last defensive stand. Not sure how that affects the dyanmic of the secondary going forward. Its too late in the year to start playing musical chairs with these guys. I know Spoon gave up some TDs so I can understand why they went with Moseley but Moseley gave up some catches in his short amount of time also. Pick a guy and stick with him...for better or for worst. Guys should know their roles heading into the playoffs. Whether its Spoon or E-Man, they need to make a decision and stick with it. 

Ehhh I think they did the right thing there. Mosley matches up better with Metcalf imo just because he's a little stronger and he tracks the ball better in the air and it was clear they were going to throw some jump balls. 

I have no issues with rotating them based on matchups and situations. Mosley has earned some playing time 

Spoon will have some time to work on some things during the bye. First week of byes is usually spent correcting technique etc and the second week is for implimenting the gameplan. 

We need to have sherm follow teams #1s imo. If we play the saints again then he's gotta follow Thomas around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, N4L said:

Ehhh I think they did the right thing there. Mosley matches up better with Metcalf imo just because he's a little stronger and he tracks the ball better in the air and it was clear they were going to throw some jump balls. 

I have no issues with rotating them based on matchups and situations. Mosley has earned some playing time 

Spoon will have some time to work on some things during the bye. First week of byes is usually spent correcting technique etc and the second week is for implimenting the gameplan. 

We need to have sherm follow teams #1s imo. If we play the saints again then he's gotta follow Thomas around.

Sherm shadowing WRs is not what we do...it won't happen. That's just a philosophy of the scheme. He plays one side. Done it his whole career...it is what it is.

And I dont agree with having guys spilt time@CB. It makes guys press and try to do to much or overthink things instead of playing loose and confident. One small mistake and they may feel like they'll get pulled. Plus you get into a rhythm as the game goes and you start to notice tendencies and get a better feel for what the offense is doing. You lose that getting yanked, in and out of the game. They just need to pick a guy, stick with him and let the chips fall where they may.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame em at all for pulling Spoon out. These are grown men, so their delicate feelings need to be dismissed. Lesson should be play well, or you won't be on the field so much. These guys need to be put in check. 

That said, I agree that the pass rush and soft cushions do them no favors, so many times it doesn't matter which is back there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

So they pulled Spoon in favor of Moseley on that last defensive stand. Not sure how that affects the dyanmic of the secondary going forward. Its too late in the year to start playing musical chairs with these guys. I know Spoon gave up some TDs so I can understand why they went with Moseley but Moseley gave up some catches in his short amount of time also. Pick a guy and stick with him...for better or for worst. Guys should know their roles heading into the playoffs. Whether its Spoon or E-Man, they need to make a decision and stick with it. 

I would have preferred to have Moseley in while the hawks were still trying to run the ball, although they did most of their running inside. Having Moseley on the field gives us an extra run defender.. I think both guys have something to offer. They both gave up catches to Metcalf, and they both made great plays on Metcalf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Sherm shadowing WRs is not what we do...it won't happen. That's just a philosophy of the scheme. He plays one side. Done it his whole career...it is what it is

but why though? doesn't make sense to me. Is there some great advantage to making the QB look and throw to his left? 

BTW, sherm did play in the slot a few times last year in crucial situations against seattle.

We have one elite corner and a few young players. the saints have one elite WR and a bunch of young players. If we don't put our elite on their elite and allow Thomas to line up where ever he wants against whatever corner they want him matched up on, im going to be pissed. 

we might not even play them, but in the event we do, lets adjust instead of 'doing what we do'. I hate the 'we just run our system' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, N4L said:

but why though? doesn't make sense to me. Is there some great advantage to making the QB look and throw to his left? 

BTW, sherm did play in the slot a few times last year in crucial situations against seattle.

We have one elite corner and a few young players. the saints have one elite WR and a bunch of young players. If we don't put our elite on their elite and allow Thomas to line up where ever he wants against whatever corner they want him matched up on, im going to be pissed. 

we might not even play them, but in the event we do, lets adjust instead of 'doing what we do'. I hate the 'we just run our system' 

I believe its mostly a phylosophical thing but also having a guy be more comfortable on his own side because having the sideline on your right or left is a difference. Just like you don't switch tackles when you play a team that uses their best pass rusher on the left side of their line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the first few weeks a fluke and Witherspoon sucks or is the injury still nagging him? He hasn't looked right since he returned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

So they pulled Spoon in favor of Moseley on that last defensive stand. Not sure how that affects the dyanmic of the secondary going forward. Its too late in the year to start playing musical chairs with these guys. I know Spoon gave up some TDs so I can understand why they went with Moseley but Moseley gave up some catches in his short amount of time also. Pick a guy and stick with him...for better or for worst. Guys should know their roles heading into the playoffs. Whether its Spoon or E-Man, they need to make a decision and stick with it. 

in the last 2 games we allowed 4 passing TDs.....Witherspoon allowed all 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, N4L said:

but why though? doesn't make sense to me. Is there some great advantage to making the QB look and throw to his left? 

BTW, sherm did play in the slot a few times last year in crucial situations against seattle.

We have one elite corner and a few young players. the saints have one elite WR and a bunch of young players. If we don't put our elite on their elite and allow Thomas to line up where ever he wants against whatever corner they want him matched up on, im going to be pissed. 

we might not even play them, but in the event we do, lets adjust instead of 'doing what we do'. I hate the 'we just run our system' 

I agree with you wholeheartedly. But at this point, Sherman is who he is. He's never shadowed WRs except for a few snaps here and there. He's made a HOF career off of playing one side of the field. I dont want to reinvent the wheel here. I'm always in favor of playing guys to their strengths. Not sure if that's what's best for Sherman at this point because he's clearly lost a step or two.

But I do feel like the next time they see a Thomas he needs to be doubled from the first snap. Make Brees beat you with anybody else but him. And I would be very deliberate and stubborn about it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×