Week 17: Bears (7-8) at VIKINGS (10-5)

swede700

11 minutes ago, since72 said:

Interesting comment.  I’m not sure I have that same trust in the Wilfs.  They are willing to spend money and make everything first class, but I don’t think they are necessarily football savvy.  I would be shocked if they fired Spielman or Zimmer.  They let Leslie Frazier be head coach for four years.

That’s a fair point. I think they wanted to be fair to Frazier. I think they’ve been more than fair to this coaching staff though.  They have done all they could to give them the best chance of winning and we are still bumbling headfirst into the playoffs, after beating no one.  

I along with many other fans would be DONE and Checked out if they kept Zimmer. In a metaphorical sense of course.  We are always going to be  Viking fans.   

I don’t know how savvy you have to be to see that a change needs to be made.  But I do understand where you’re coming from.  

Edited by Torchezim

I don’t think Frazier should have been a HC at all.  He was the only possibility when they fired Childress mid season.  His credentials?  He had Jared, Williams Wall, Ray Edwards, Leber, Greenway, Henderson, and implemented the passive bend bend bend and break cover 2 scheme.  Anyone can be a good DC with those players.  They should have hired someone else in 2011.  You don’t have to “be fair” to a coach when they aren’t HC material.

Which kind of makes my point.  The Wilfs are more interested in being fair than making difficult decisions.

Remember when Wilfs bought the team, they hired Childress / Frazier because they wanted a WCO and C2D.  Because that was the trendy thing at the time.

Business savvy, yes.  I could be wrong but I don’t see the Wilfs displaying football savvy.  They don’t seem to have anymore than I do, and I have little to none.

You seem to be forgetting how highly regarded both Frazier and Childress were at the time of their hiring. 

Many had Frazier on the short list of HC candidates when the Vikings made him their HC. The players respected him, the players played for him, and they finished 3-3 under him after starting 3-7. 

Childress, at the time of his hiring, was also viewed as the top candidate available after many successful years in Philadelphia. 

And as for hiring coaches that followed the trend, that’s what every team does when they hire new coaches. 

• Like 2

This just comes across as a losers mentality in my opinion. And a giant middle finger to the fans who paid to go see the game.

This team is stumbling into the playoffs. Players who are not on the injury report should not be taking the game off. 

If the Vikings lose on Sunday it will mark a 4-4 second half of the season, with a losing record in the final month of the season including back to back home losses to divisional opponents.

A decision like this, to basically concede a win, while the team is a struggling, makes the Wild Card game an absolute must win for Zimmer to keep his job, IMO.

To finish the season and enter the playoffs with this mentality, unfortunately I fully expect them to be on the wrong side of an embarrassingly lopsided playoff game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Cook and Mattison out for a tough game against a quality playoff bound team, a few OL not playing well, and a loss to GB that doesn't affect anything but playoff slotting... and it's the end of the world as we know it, so the talented players should be traded away for draft picks with uncertain production?!  Some such ideas, motivated by frustration, often lead to greater frustration.   

What might have happened if Cook and Mattison were available, and Aaron & Aaron were out?   Would that result in the same reaction .... that it's time to tear down to rebuild a talented team with unknown collegiate players.... drafted by Ten Pick Rick? 

Or maybe they have one win against a good team.... And it isn't one game. 

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This just comes across as a losers mentality in my opinion. And a giant middle finger to the fans who paid to go see the game.

This team is stumbling into the playoffs. Players who are not on the injury report should not be taking the game off. 

If the Vikings lose on Sunday it will mark a 4-4 second half of the season, with a losing record in the final month of the season including back to back home losses to divisional opponents.

A decision like this, to basically concede a win, while the team is a struggling, makes the Wild Card game an absolute must win for Zimmer to keep his job, IMO.

To finish the season and enter the playoffs with this mentality, unfortunately I fully expect them to be on the wrong side of an embarrassingly lopsided playoff game.

And yet, I disagree and think going into the playoffs healthy is the right choice. Though it would suck to have paid for a ticket, on that I agree. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the wild card game is actually a win or be fired game .... Than its the greatest decision this year

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Vikings to rest starters and treat it like a week 17 bye.

Finally a decision i agree with & was hoping for.

I think this is a poorly calculated move. I’m expecting a playoff loss by more than 14 points. This team has zero momentum and there isn’t anything to suggest that they will figure it out with a bye week. I’d love to eat my words and I’m hoping for the best, but decisions like this never seem to end well. A sixth seed backing into the playoffs because another team lost is resting starters, just feels unbelievable to me. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Torchezim said:

. Then 5 - 6 years as a coach you should be as dominant and make consistent deep playoff runs like teams such as the Seahawks, Saints, Patriots, Steelers, etc. If you’re not, then changes need to be made. Almost any other fanbase would think this way. 

It's interesting that you use those teams when they rarely draft high and the only team that has a first round QB is the Steelers.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think this is a poorly calculated move. I’m expecting a playoff loss by more than 14 points. This team has zero momentum and there isn’t anything to suggest that they will figure it out with a bye week. I’d love to eat my words and I’m hoping for the best, but decisions like this never seem to end well. A sixth seed backing into the playoffs because another team lost is resting starters, just feels unbelievable to me. 

That is my biggest concern with resting players is coming out flat Wild Card weekend. If you're going to rest the players they better be ready to play and that is on the coach. We'll ALL be curious to see how the team responds Wild Card weekend having rested in week 17.

With all that being said I agree with the decision as it would be terribly pointless to lose someone to an injury in a "meaningless" game.

• Like 1

I have to agree on what others are saying.  Who are we to feel that we have even played well enough to rest our starters?

They don’t need rest, they need a fire lit up under their ***.  Way too much talent to be backing into the playoffs and only beating forgettable teams.  

As any Viking fan, I’ll hope for the best but I’ll hope for other things as well. 

Edited by Torchezim

3 hours ago, Torchezim said:

That’s a fair point. I think they wanted to be fair to Frazier. I think they’ve been more than fair to this coaching staff though.  They have done all they could to give them the best chance of winning and we are still bumbling headfirst into the playoffs, after beating no one.  

I along with many other fans would be DONE and Checked out if they kept Zimmer. In a metaphorical sense of course.  We are always going to be  Viking fans.   

I don’t know how savvy you have to be to see that a change needs to be made.  But I do understand where you’re coming from.  

Zimmer has had a fairly successful record, or at the very least much better than Frazier.  Zimmer has been probably been comparable to Denny Green in terms of his 5 seasons.  You can set the standard higher, but we're probably going to end up with a worse coach if we fire him.