2020 Draft

Pastor Dillon

It’s never too early to start looking. We have some major needs and not a ton of capital. 

we’ve already taken a pro bowl LT with our 1st pick, a decent CB with our 3rd and 3rd down back with our other 3rd. Not to mention we have a 3rd round TE who took a redshirt year and a 1st round RT who missed most of his rookie season. 

so it’s already a decent class but we have needs. Big needs. 

We have a 2nd, two 4ths, 5th and 7th. Most are projecting a 3rd round comp pick as well. Here is what I’m thinking 

2nd: edge rusher - number 1 need 

4th: WR - we have to get someone who can replace Glass Fuller when he’s out 

4th: RB - we need a young version of Hyde to take over at RB 

5th: edge rusher - can’t have too many 

7th: TE - it’s a late pick, take a flyer. I like what we did at 7th last year. Maybe even draft a kicker. Teams should go the special teams route on 7th round picks every year

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Saw something on twitter this past weekend that said Kareems most likely a 4th round comp because of the missed snaps these last 2 weeks that he’s suspended.

I heard the same thing on 610. Would have been nice, a 3rd rounder...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

This shows that pass rush is indisputably necessary. And I posted some tweets in the Mercilus extension thread that indicates we are even worse without Watt (which we don't know how many games we can guarantee) and Mercilus is quite frankly not the answer (he is a 2nd or 3rd option star but that is it).

It also shows, shockingly, that Martin has really stepped up his pass blocking at least. Given the extension we were never going to replace him anyway, but he has improved mightily. 

Potential pass rushers in 2020 - 2021:

DE J.J. Watt

Edge Charles Omenihu

Edge Duke Ejofor

OLB / DE Whitney Mercilus

Edge Jake Martin

OLB / DE Brennan Scarlett

If Ejofor comes back at full strength and you add one solid prospect (draft or free agency) to the edge / pass rushers room, Texans could be in a good position.

Several if's tho....

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wouldn’t mind Jalen Hurts if he’s there later on in the draft. Would be a several year back up and perhaps could flip him for a pick later on. 

I like Hurts, I think he'd be a great backup...

• Like 1

I've read that JK Dobbins is high on the Texans wish list in the 2nd. I know that CB, NT and Edge are the priority pickups, but Dobbins as our lead RB would be so great, he'd be such an awesome addition.

If he's there that late in the 2nd, I don't know how you can pass on him though.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I've read that JK Dobbins is high on the Texans wish list in the 2nd. I know that CB, NT and Edge are the priority pickups, but Dobbins as our lead RB would be so great, he'd be such an awesome addition.

If he's there that late in the 2nd, I don't know how you can pass on him though.

I think he would be smart. Sometimes you can get so need oriented in the draft that you pass up long term starters. Odds are that a 2nd round pick isn’t gonna be ready to start next year. 2nd round RBs are probably the biggest exception to that rule. They typically have lots of success right away.