2020 Draft

Pastor Dillon

We are a day or so away from creating our predict the pick challenge for the draft. 

I want  to present a scenario for y’all. I’m not predicting it, or advocating it or claiming it’s possible but let’s just say we traded up to pick 31 in exchange for pick 40 and 90. We lose value in that trade according to the trade chart, so it’s possible for us to trade up into the late 1st round. 

so here’s my question: should we trade into the late first and basically make our entire draft about 1 guy, who would y’all say is at that spot that would have an instant starting impactful role for us? 

for the sake of argument, I’d say a player we have rated top 20 had to have fallen down the board 

10 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i'll make the official draft thread on Thursday.

i doubt we trade up to get in round 1 with such little draft capital to move up.  it would be incredibly stupid.  i'm all for trading back to gain a 4th or even a 3rd rounder.

Yes, I am too, in just curious on what player you would target if we did. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How about we give you pick #41 overall for Tunsil? I hear that he's expecting BOB to pay him money.

I'm still hurting with you getting Nick Chubb with the Osweiler pick, so don't mock me!

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's everything that I thought/hoped he'd be and more. I'm still sore that I mocked Myles at #1 and Watson at #12 in the same draft. @LETSGOBROWNIES can confirm.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s true, he maybe the only browns fan who was really all in on Watson.

Play your cards right, you could probably get him and a 2nd round pick, much like you did with Osweiler...

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Play your cards right, you could probably get him and a 2nd round pick, much like you did with Osweiler...

We will trade you:

Baker Mayfield, Texas legend

you will trade:

Watson

Tunsil

Your highest 2nd Round pick

Just now, MWil23 said:

We will trade you:

Baker Mayfield, Texas legend

you will trade:

Watson

Tunsil

Your highest 2nd Round pick

I wouldn't take it, but Bill O'Brien wouldn't rest until he got Kevin Hogan instead of Baker Mayfield.

Throwing my mock draft out there. It probably is too logical which means it won't happen this weekend, but one can dream. Overall, the big focus was on defense and improving the pass rush. Too few sacks came from the interior and we need to find someone opposite Mercilus that can be a threat. Secondary is also a need, but I think BOB is happy to keep what he has and doesn't do much here. 

2nd (40): Ross Blacklock, DE, TCU

It’s no secret the Texans need help up front as well as with rushing the passer. I like the odds of getting a pure pass rusher in the next few rounds so I’d rather help out the interior pass rush first. Blacklock was the nose tackle for TCU, but you look at the athletic traits and he screams 3-4 DE to me. He has the tools you want to be a day one starter at DE on a defensive line that needs a serious infusion of talent.

3rd (90): Darrell Taylor, EDGE, Tennessee

There’s a few guys that could be the 3-4 OLB the Texans are looking at, but Taylor is the most enticing if he’s here. He has the size, speed, and production you want from a 3-4 OLB. He’ll need to improve his technique as he’s gotten away with beating people off the edge with speed, but I like his motor, size, and potential to be more productive as a pro than he was in college.

4th (111): Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona St

Eno was highly utilized at Arizona state as evident by his 553 carries in two years. Two things stick out to me which is why I like him in this spot. The first is he runs tough. He runs downhill and has the balance to grind out tough yards. The second is that he’s comfortable catching passes out of the backfield. I don’t think David Johnson will make it past two seasons and I think Eno could be his replacement when the time comes. 

5th (171): AJ Green, CB, Oklahoma State

Usually if you’re drafting a CB in the middle rounds, it’s one of two types. The first is your CB that has the measurements you want, but wasn’t productive. The second is the productive player who has a fatal flaw that might not translate to the next level (slow 40, height, etc). AJ Green might not have the speed you want, but he kept Lamb and Mims in check when he played them both and has pro size. Worst case scenario, we give him a shot at safety. 

7th (240): Terrance Steele, OT, Texas Tech

Steele has the size and athleticism you want, although it didn’t always show up on tape due to sloppy technique (thanks, Texas Tech). Still, it’s hard to pass up a four year starter at tackle that has the tools you look for at the position. This late in the draft, it’s worth taking a chance on him to see what happens. 

7th (248): John Penisini, DT, Utah 

With the NFL becoming a pass-heavy league, more and more two down linemen are being pushed down the draft boards. Penisini was a rugby player who didn’t play football until his senior year of high school. He epitomizes hard work and has a motor that doesn’t quit. He could be a nice option to help fill the void at nose tackle while he continues to develop. 

7th (250): Josh Pearson, WR, Jacksonville St

At this point in the draft, it’s basically getting a jump start on practice squad players. Pearson tore it up his last two seasons in the NFL, but has been cited as having maturity issues (ineligible for academic issues in 2015) and doesn’t run a full route tree. Still, it’s hard to overlook his athleticism and production.

• Like 3