21 members have voted

1. 1. Keep zone blocking scheme

• Keep zone blocking sceme
    • Adopt man blocking scheme
    • Keep zone blocking get some people who can actually block
    • Switch schemes and get new people
    • Other

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

So a rookie shouldn't be expected to start but since he's not great as a rookie he shouldn't have been drafted?

It seems you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't mean to say that Bradbury shouldn't have been drafted. I meant to say that it doesn't look like that draft pick looks good to this point in his career. He still has plenty of time to turn that around.

Edited by Cearbhall

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

The RT was a great pick by spielman. There is no way that you can deny that. Didn't he even struggle pretty bad last night?

Agreed. That would be hard to deny nor would I.

The whole offensive line struggled last night but I didn't see O'Neill consistently struggling. He did get beat a bit but so does every other offensive linemen in the league.

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It never fails.  A really bad game and the pitchforks come out, wanting to toss away every positive thing that has been accomplished as if it never existed.    

Some of us that don't like the way things are going are respecting others by not posting our dissenting views after wins. That just isn't fun for anyone. 

• Like 1

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

So a rookie shouldn't be expected to start but since he's not great as a rookie he shouldn't have been drafted?

Well, of course...that's how it always works...the rookie has 2 really bad games all year long and he never should have been drafted.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

What do you expect?

For the record, my desire to move on to a new GM owing to the state of the offensive line goes back much further than this game. I only mentioned it here because there was discussion on the offensive line. For me, the last straw with Rick Spielman was when he went into the draft this year with such a bare cupboard on the offensive line. That is when it was finally enough for me. For each person there will be a different amount they are willing to put up with.

Oh, I know your stance, and I respect it, because you've made it clear all along, even though I I disagree with it completely.  I just don't like it when people seem to wait for an atrocious game to all of a sudden come of out of the blue and say how they never liked it to begin with and the team sucks, Zimmer's a stiff, Stefanski is garbage and never should have gotten the job in the first place.  That's disingenous.    

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Some of us that don't like the way things are going are respecting others by not posting our dissenting views after wins. That just isn't fun for anyone. 

There are ways to tactfully dissent.  Generally, I like to say "I'm remaining cautiously optimistic."  That's my code phrase for saying I'm not really liking it...xD

Either way, as bad as the offensive line was last night, it's still been light-years better and with more potential than it has been, probably since the early '00s.  Even when they had Hutch on the line, the line as a whole wasn't very good, it's just that they had Favre on the trigger, who could get the ball away faster than any QB they've had.

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

What do you expect?

For the record, my desire to move on to a new GM owing to the state of the offensive line goes back much further than this game. I only mentioned it here because there was discussion on the offensive line. For me, the last straw with Rick Spielman was when he went into the draft this year with such a bare cupboard on the offensive line. That is when it was finally enough for me. For each person there will be a different amount they are willing to put up with.

I’ve been over Spielman for a year. After Cousins poor first season combined with trading a first for an injury prone below average QB, I figured that would be enough to move on. Throw in two first round picks at QB during his time here too, that didn’t work out, I don’t know what he has to stand on for job security. 

We made the playoffs mostly off of the success of the run game, earlier on in the season. That helped Cousins tremendously. He played great too, but only when the run game was a threat. Take away the threat of playaction, he’s average. The run game didn’t seem to show up against good teams, and we lost those games.

It just becomes frustrating getting wins against bottom tier teams like like the Giants, Redskins. Lions (2x), Raiders, Falcons and Chargers and boasting about being a playoff team. 

• Like 1

I'm i have wanted zim gone for about 2 years, and Rick for at least a year. I'd like to see them both gone on Jan 6th. Zim is a good DC, not a good HC. Rick had his shot. 

Draft QB this year, Draft more OL. Don't retain cousins on another contract. Trade Cook. The D is still good but this management direction is not moving forward

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

The RT was a great pick by spielman. There is no way that you can deny that. Didn't he even struggle pretty bad last night?

O'Neill gave up his first ever sack on Monday.

Bradbury has been underwhelming but might have get better with a full offseason under his belt. Kline is okay and should stick around. O'Neill is a very good player at his position and should be re-signed in a few years.

Reiff and Elflein are the weak points on the line and should be replaced. 

I'd look to the draft and try to find their replacements.

Samia could be that guy but we haven't seen him play since preseason. Can't rely on that.

You have to remember that this is also the first year with the Kubiak/Shanahan style ZBS. Things do take time. 

And our o-line has not been trash this year. It’s actually been solid as a whole. They had a bad game against Green Bay, but that level of performance hasn’t been indicative of the o-line’s play on the year. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

I'm just frustrated our o-line is trash every year. If I was building a team offensive and defensive line are the first things I'm starting with.

You and me both.  The lines along with the QB position.

The offensive line is where our team building philosophy is drastically diverges from Rick Spielman's team building philosophy. Spielman is okay going into season with an offensive line the contains plenty question marks as long as a rational fan can find hope, perhaps while wearing purple colored shades, that perhaps that particular year will not be ruined by an overmatched offensive line like so many previous years.

My goal would be a line that is top ten in both pass protection and run blocking with one of those being in the top three.

I think that can happen with a zone blocking scheme.  I also think that is possible with a power man scheme but the Vikings are much further from that at the moment. It would be a big change but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth it.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And our o-line has not been trash this year. It’s actually been solid as a whole. They had a bad game against Green Bay, but that level of performance hasn’t been indicative of the o-line’s play on the year. 

This is very true. The line has been a lot better this year. They are getting consistently beat badly by our main division rivals though. That is a huge problem. You are right though that they are in the first year and with appropriate moves they should improve in time. Right now the team is four offensive linemen away with the relative improvement needed out of each of those four varying widely.

Reiff isn't good enough but if he was the weakest point on our offensive line I would be happy with the line. Given that, it could be argued the team is only three away and there is hope that Bradbury could rise up to one of those challenges. Based on what we have seen, that is still just hope.

47 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

They are getting consistently beat badly by our main division rivals though. That is a huge problem.

But I’ve seen that as more issues with the coaching and maybe out coaching ourselves against division rivals. 

The game in Chicago and Monday’s game against Green Bay were easily the worst game plans of the year by the offense. Especially Monday’s game, where they completely went away from the style of play that has been working all year long. 

• Like 1

This thread is hilarious.

It's the zone blocking scheme that's the problem!? I mean duh! Why of course that's it.  Couldn't possibly be a talent issue and coaching not being able to come up with a competent game plan.

I swear some fans think that schematic design should be a super soldier serum.

• Like 1