Week 17 GDT: Jets @ Bills

Trentwannabe

McDermott announced today that the starters will play ( or at least most of them) including Josh Allen.

He stated that working on fundamentals and keeping their edge going into the playoffs is part of the reason. I am a fan of the decision as I believe winning is a habit and going into the playoffs losing 3 of the last 4 is not smart.

I do hope some young guys like Duke Williams and Yeldon play a bunch and prove their worth over McKenzie and Perry going into the playoffs. 

Game thoughts:
Robby Anderson had been coming on as of late for the Jets but last week was held to just two catches for 32 yards and one score. The Bills should be able to take him away and I could see them focusing on limiting Crowder underneath from the slot position. 

Bell is still having a pretty down year, thanks mostly to a make shift OL from the Jets. That same OL has gotten Darnold sacked at least once every game he has played and twice or more in 8 games.

31 other QB's have thrown more interceptions than Josh Allen in the last 12 weeks. He just is not the turnover machine he appeared to be at the beginning of the year. I would suspect a pretty conservative offense approach this week with Beasley and the TE's being the focal point. Devin Singletary had 70 yards on just four carries in week 1 against NYJ. I would expect a lot of Singletary this week as well.

On the defensive side of the ball, Ed Oliver has been down right dominant the last few weeks and has really come into his own. Against this Jets OL, Oliver could be a game changer. The Bills LB's did a good job keeping everything in front of them last time around in the passing game, that will be needed again. In the secondary I don't know how much of White,  Poyer and Hyde we will see but our depth there is crazy good and could still force Darnold into more mistakes.

Key Depth players that will likely see some time: QB Matt Barkley, WR Robert Foster, LB Corey Thompson, DL Vincent Taylor, SS Siran Neal. 

Bills are still the better coached and more talented/complete team. 11 wins would be huge for this org. and I think McDermott understands the importance of winning going into the playoffs is.

Bills 23
Jets 13.

Given that McDermott wants to keep his starters focused and sharp, this is a game we can actually try to project. so...

As bad as the Jets have played overall this year, it should not be a surprise that the majority of fans would expect a victory here. That confidence is probably reinforced by the fact that we made the playoffs and they are no where near that. However, the Jets have been a very inconsistent team this year, playing horrendous one game and well the next. I expect they bring their "A-game" as defeating us on the final game of the season really would be the confidence-maker they need to go into the next season...and, of course, we're in-conference rivals. We'd treat the game exactly the same if the situation was reversed. With that in mind, let's look at the one thing they do well - actually, VERY well - something that we can only dream about this season: They flat out shut down opposing team's running games. Period. Given that the running game really does drive what we do offensively, this matters, a lot. I'm expecting stats something like this:

Bills: 220 yds passing and 110 rushing...Jets: 195 yards passing and 95 rushing.

Yeah, we "win" both categories, but we are used to getting an additional 25 yards per game on the ground. Again, their run D is seriously legit...they average less than 90 total yards and just 3.3 YPC (#1 in the league) to opposing offenses (Compared to our D giving up 4.3 YPC)! If we had that level of success, I'm positive we would have won the AFC East. BTW, the league average is 4.4 YPC, so our D's weakest performance aspect is pretty much typical for the NFL. In addition, their pass D is better than the league average as well. They give up 6.9 Yds per attempt (league average is 7.5). This really will be a very good test for our offense heading into the playoffs and help us get an idea of the level of offensive success we may see during the post season.

Anyway, I see another defensive slugfest with a final score of...

Jets 17

Bills 20

Given that the Jets have only won 6 games, that score might seem demoralizing, but this really is an excellent D we will be facing. A win vs. the Jets at this time of year in a game our players don't HAVE to win, to me, is a good thing.

Edited by Yibbyl

I don't like the idea of playing key starters in a meaningless divisional game against a hungry team who will be playing extra physical.

All we need is a torn ACL or a broken forearm from a key guy heading into playoffs.

Josh Allen better be throwing the ball away at first sign of pressure and not scrambling taking hits 

Mcdermott stated that they will play some of the game.  dont expect them to play the entire game. I think Barkley and 2nd stringers will be coming in the 2nd half just to keep injuries from happening. Mcdermott wants to win and says openly however he is more concerned about Houston and KC as they have been scouting and preparing for them this week. I think we will see alot of running, which makes be believe yeldon will be active this week to keep gore and singletary fresh for wild card, and prevent any injuries on the receiving corps. Daboll wants to keep injuries from happening as well as killing the clock which is why I believe that running the ball will be key to this game. Also not showing your play book anymore then you have this season so why waste any new plays on this team that Houston can plan for. I think guys like Zo, Tre, Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Milano on defense, spain, ty, morse, allen, beasley, brown, and Dawkins on offense should see limited snaps if not dress for the game. The mentality of winning is a must to keep the habits of going in to the playoffs is not necessary. This game is a mere preseason game you go in get some game time reps in and let your backups finish the game. No injuries and focus on the Wild Card game. Jets including Greg Williams have nothing to lose so they will be playing dirty which is Williams specialty and the bills cant run the risk of someone going to go down. When it comes down to the score win or lose the main thing is getting out of there without an injury is a successful week. The offense does need work but injuries trump performance at this point. if a guy like Allen, singletary, beasley, brown or oline go down this could be major concerns for post season run. The goal is to get to the post season and they did that by beating the Steelers. 

I'm hoping this is pretty much treated like a 2nd or 3rd preseason game. Let the starters play until around halftime. No need to go a full game when we're already locked in to the 5th seed. Especially when the term "go hunting" is coming from a Jets team with a defense run by Greg Williams. Let the starters play a bit to keep the juices going but don't go out there risking guys we are going to need in the coming weeks. If losing 3 out of the last 4 now means winning in weeks 18, 19, 20 etc., sign me up.

14 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I was told jets were better at the beginning of the season

I believe it was rockice_8 that told you that with this lovely quote: "Our OL is better, our weapons are now way better, and as I said our system is better even if it's new.  If you guys are holding us to 13 points these days that means we are getting dominated and I just don't see our weapons being held to 13 points.  Allen is going to need to put up 24+ to win this game or Sam is going to need to provide a short field (which is possible). "

8 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Ed Oliver is getting multiple sacks and TFL tomorrow.

Very well should. We literally have guys starting at LG and RG off the street tomorrow. This Jets team is basically a backup squad anyways, we have so many injuries and bad players. Our LG and RG were down to backups, then the backups got injured. Go figure with how this season has gone. 

6 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Feels like a life time ago when the Jets were up 16-0 and dominating Allen. Only for Mosley to go injured for the rest of the season and everything fall apart after that. 

Yeah weird how a much inferior team can start the season up 16-0 opening day and blame it on losing a linebacker. Must suck to not have the depth and a craptastic coaching staff 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Feels like a life time ago when the Jets were up 16-0 and dominating Allen. Only for Mosley to go injured for the rest of the season and everything fall apart after that. 

Allen had some bad picks early in the game but their offense was far from being dominated. 370 yards that day with 9 new starters.