Week 17 GDT: Packers @ Detroit Lions

squire12

20 hours ago, Norm said:

Kinda scared that Dexter might look good this weekend then get carries in the playoffs to be dead honest. If top 2 are healthy, dont get cute. But could help him going forward into next year if he had something to build on.

Fear not. If the top two are healthy - the carries will be theirs.

Hell, we're going into week 17 and our healthy all year bruiser of a FB has exactly one carry for 3 yards. Now - now many 3rd and 1 situations the coaching staff passed him on up to now?

My question about Dexter being active or not centered around William's (unknown at the time status) and Jone's (we dont want AJ being the only RB we have active when we've got a FB........................................you can read the above comment again to fill in here).

This DET game is definitely one we dont want to play around with - and we damn sure dont want to be losing any RBs to injury at this juncture.

So.....

Does Williams play?

How much does AJ play?

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hell, we're going into week 17 and our healthy all year bruiser of a FB has exactly one carry for 3 yards. Now - now many 3rd and 1 situations the coaching staff passed him on up to now?

My question about Dexter being active or not centered around William's (unknown at the time status) and Jone's (we dont want AJ being the only RB we have active when we've got a FB........................................you can read the above comment again to fill in here).

This DET game is definitely one we dont want to play around with - and we damn sure dont want to be losing any RBs to injury at this juncture.

So.....

Does Williams play?

How much does AJ play?

I would personally love to see Dex get some carries. Especially if we have a comfortable lead. I think we're going to save the Ervin jet motion stuff for the playoffs. 

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

So.....

Does Williams play?

How much does AJ play?

If healthy, yes, Williams plays.

Jones plays as much as it takes to win the game. Definitely 16 yards worth so he gets to 1000 for the season. 

Edited by Golfman

36 minutes ago, Golfman said:

If healthy, yes, Williams plays.

Jones plays as much as it takes to win the game. Definitely 16 yards worth so he gets to 1000 for the season. 

Would still like to know more about Williams injured shoulder. If he can be rested....might not be a bad idea.

Although, the thought of Dexter finally being active (as would be necessary) after a full season on the sidelines isnt appealing.

Can Vitale run the ball at all? It's like they refuse to hand the ball off to him.

Just now, Leader said:

Would still like to know more about Williams injured shoulder. If he can be rested....might not be a bad idea.

Although, the thought of Dexter finally being active (as would be necessary) after a full season on the sidelines isnt appealing.

Can Vitale run the ball at all? It's like they refuse to hand the ball off to him.

He's a fullback! The fullback's role in today's NFL is to block and get a pass out of the backfield once in a while. 

I'd prefer to keep Williams out unless he's 100%. Need him for the playoffs. Dexter Williams knows how to play but neither he or Jones are great in pass protection. Not sure about Vitale in that role either. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He's a fullback! The fullback's role in today's NFL is to block and get a pass out of the backfield once in a while.

Then I like the old days when the teams faced with a 3rd and short and powers for the first.

We go empty backfield for no good reason I can think of.....unless of course....our FB is a complete chump running the ball!

It cant be cause we're gonna throw to the TE....cause we dont throw to our TE's....so, Davante? Here it comes.

Edited by Leader

12 hours ago, Leader said:

Williams is the best RB we have at pass pro, so if he can play, he plays. I'd like to see what Dexter can do, but only at zero risk to Rodgers. 

We've gone into games dressing just 2 RBs, so Vitale is considered at least an emergency option. But why do 2-yard inside power runs, when the actual RBs offer good and more varied options...

34 minutes ago, salmar80 said:

Williams is the best RB we have at pass pro, so if he can play, he plays. I'd like to see what Dexter can do, but only at zero risk to Rodgers. We've gone into games dressing just 2 RBs, so Vitale is considered at least an emergency option. But why do 2-yard inside power runs, when the actual RBs offer good and more varied options...

Understood...and I'm not (necessarily) calling on Vitale to get carries, but we've lost Williams early in games or he's been out entirely (he's played 13 so far this year) and Vitale's not picked up any of the ground game. None of it. Which I find odd for the "gotta pick up a yard to get a first down and move the chains stuff." Just an observation.  

37 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think you have to approach this game as a serious must win game.  If things work out maybe you can rest guys in the second half.  A win gets you a bye .. then you rest up for the playoffs .. not before.

That sounds like a solid compromise between resting and going for the win.

I don't see GB messing around with resting players vs DET, or changing the typical workloads in any meaningful way.  If a player is legitimately injured, then sit him.  Everyone who is healthy enough to play should play.  One week at a time is the only way to proceed from here.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't see GB messing around with resting players vs DET, or changing the typical workloads in any meaningful way.  If a player is legitimately injured, then sit him.  Everyone who is healthy enough to play should play.  One week at a time is the only way to proceed from here.

Agree with this thinking......I was just wondering out loud if GB would give Vitale any carries (if Williams was hurt/out/being protected) or work Jones more. For no good reason (supported by previous work during the year...) I'd think Vitale could pick up some of those carries and get us through this game.