Week 2 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

Obviously we are likely to lose this game, and lose badly, but I'm hoping the DL generates a lot more pass rush than it did last week. 

Jimmie Ward still is limited so he may miss another week. That means another week of Tartt. Not mad at that, would like to see him tackle better though.

Can we limit the Seahawks run game like we did last week?

Over/under 2.5 sacks for the team?

It won't be easy to get the run game going this week, but please give Hyde more than 9 carries. 

And lastly, hopefully Tomlinson is inserted in the starting line up over Beadles.

I would like for us to show a pulse on offense! Granted a lot of that will be determined on how our o-line plays which will have it's hands full this week.

Like you mentioned, definitely have to create some pass rush! 

I hope we can get 2.5 sacks, but I would be happy with just pressure. We know how elusive Wilson is, so maybe under.

Definitely have to feed the ball to Hyde. I don't understand why we stopped after the first half, granted we needed to get down field and score, but don't attempt PA if you won't run the ball.

I wonder if Jimmie Ward is a lost cause? He hasn't been able to stay healthy like Hyde and yet people are referencing Hyde to losing his job to Williams (even though he's on IR now). We will have a lot of positions needed to fix in the off season. 

Ward certainly had to return soon. If not this week, then we are on a short week against LAR so no guarantee he returns against them either. He has the potential to make this defense look VERY solid. Right now it's just probably solid but flawed. 

If Tartt has a good game, are we sure the staff will give the job back to Ward? 

49 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ward certainly had to return soon. If not this week, then we are on a short week against LAR so no guarantee he returns against them either. He has the potential to make this defense look VERY solid. Right now it's just probably solid but flawed. 

If Tartt has a good game, are we sure the staff will give the job back to Ward? 

I didn't think that Tartt was good enough last game to justify taking if he happens to have a good one this game. But obviously I did miss a chunk of the game. But there's still something to be said about Tartt showing he's competent there and us keeping Ward at corner. 

Tartt wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either. He came up and made some nice tackles in space, made up a lot of ground for a nice INT, but also missed a few tackles. In year three, he needs to become a much more consistent tackler. As the game went on, he got better and better. So I do think there is a chance he keeps his spot if he has a good against Seattle. That is if Ward doesn't play of course. If he does play, do we then make Jerome inactive?

The defense was actually pretty solid for the most part against the Panthers last week. A few breakdowns and bad turnovers from the offense made it seem worse than it actually was...But our offense? It was bad, and it isn't going to get better all of a sudden playing against the Seahawks. I'm thinking another week where we score 10 points or less. That is unless our defense is able to generate some turnovers. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Tartt wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either. He came up and made some nice tackles in space, made up a lot of ground for a nice INT, but also missed a few tackles. In year three, he needs to become a much more consistent tackler. As the game went on, he got better and better. So I do think there is a chance he keeps his spot if he has a good against Seattle. That is if Ward doesn't play of course. If he does play, do we then make Jerome inactive?

It at the very least makes Eric Reid's free agency more of a question. Tartt is more of a SS imo but he needs to get better overall

6 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

It at the very least makes Eric Reid's free agency more of a question. Tartt is more of a SS imo but he needs to get better overall

Reid seems like the perfect candidate for the Dashon Goldson treatment and to give him the franchise tag after the year is over. He's largely up and down, and if you don't want to commit to him long term, but don't have a ready made replacement (depends on how you feel about Tartt, I think), then I could easily see us tagging him this off season.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reid seems like the perfect candidate for the Dashon Goldson treatment and to give him the franchise tag after the year is over. He's largely up and down, and if you don't want to commit to him long term, but don't have a ready made replacement (depends on how you feel about Tartt, I think), then I could easily see us tagging him this off season.

Tag Reid? yikes I dont like that idea but I guess its better than a long term deal. I like the character he's become as a leader on the team and in the community but he's not very good. The Franchise tag to me should be used on guys who reach a certain peak but you aren't sure if they can maintain it long term. Reid hasn't reached any peak past his 2nd year. Didn't look special last week either. 

As for the Seachickens, it's gonna be a tough game if we cant contain big 20yd+ plays from Baldwin/Richardson/Graham we have no chance, those always seem to kill us against seattle. I think offensively it's all on Hoyer and our pass protection again. Run game will be okay but not enough to outright win it, we need big plays from Goodwin and the other receivers. Garcon will get his 5 receptions 70 yds.  

I'll pick us to win 20-13

Buckner and Armstead get 2 sacks each, Bowman with a FF and a monster game, Robinson with a pick six

Hyde goes for 110 and a td, and Hoyer just keeps us alive with 0 to's. 

I think if Tartt shows enough the team will move on from Reid or give it a long thought. Reid is in store for a big season and that's going to lead to him getting a lot of attention in free agency. Granted, we could just shut that off by tagging him as Forge mentioned above. We do have a crazy amount of cap space so money shouldn't be the deciding factor if we are keeping Reid or not. It will come down to how they feel about the rest of the safeties, Tartt in particular.

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Tag Reid? yikes I dont like that idea but I guess its better than a long term deal. I like the character he's become as a leader on the team and in the community but he's not very good. The Franchise tag to me should be used on guys who reach a certain peak but you aren't sure if they can maintain it long term. Reid hasn't reached any peak past his 2nd year. Didn't look special last week either. 

As for the Seachickens, it's gonna be a tough game if we cant contain big 20yd+ plays from Baldwin/Richardson/Graham we have no chance, those always seem to kill us against seattle. I think offensively it's all on Hoyer and our pass protection again. Run game will be okay but not enough to outright win it, we need big plays from Goodwin and the other receivers. Garcon will get his 5 receptions 70 yds.  

I'll pick us to win 20-13

Buckner and Armstead get 2 sacks each, Bowman with a FF and a monster game, Robinson with a pick six

Hyde goes for 110 and a td, and Hoyer just keeps us alive with 0 to's. 

You sir are much more optimistic than I am about this game LOL. 

Our run blocking is still a problem and the Seahawks front is dominant. I'd be VERY surprised if Hyde goes for over 100 yards. 

I could see either Armstead or Buckner having multiple sack games, but not likely both. But if it happens? Great!

But if we are to win, it will be how you presented it. The defense either giving us a score or forcing a few turnovers. 

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'll also say this, if we win this game the seahawks are going to IMPLODE...that team already hates eachother. 

They won't lose so nothing to worry about there.

And they will be fine even if they lose. Fine in terms of keeping it together, but losing to us would mean they have some SERIOUS issues to overcome. Defensively they are still good as ever, but the offensive line is so damn bad. Luckily for them, the division is still bad and their main competitors have a QB who looks washed.

Archived