Week 2 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

Against Seattle's O-Line our front 7 should certainly show more than least week in terms of creating pressure and sacking Wilson. If not we're going to have a problem.

Will be bad on offense again but hopefully the players will know now which way the play should be going(Hoyer I'm looking at you). Hope to see more of Kittle and Taylor especially.

Just now, AustrianNiner said:

Against Seattle's O-Line our front 7 should certainly show more than least week in terms of creating pressure and sacking Wilson. If not we're going to have a problem.

Will be bad on offense again but hopefully the players will know now which way the play should be going(Hoyer I'm looking at you). Hope to see more of Kittle and Taylor especially.

I really feel we're lacking an explosive edge rusher to get to the QB. I'm sure our DL can disrupt most OL in this league, but we'll still get passed on a ton if we can't actually get to the QB. I guess Dumerville will get his share, if Lynch even sees the field, he'll get a few, the rest of our DL can mostly be gameplanned around. An actual explosive pass rusher would open things up so much for our plethora of interior disrupters. Personally, I don't expect us to have Wilson running for his life, no matter how bad Seattle's OL could be.

Just now, rudyZ said:

I really feel we're lacking an explosive edge rusher to get to the QB. I'm sure our DL can disrupt most OL in this league, but we'll still get passed on a ton if we can't actually get to the QB. I guess Dumerville will get his share, if Lynch even sees the field, he'll get a few, the rest of our DL can mostly be gameplanned around. An actual explosive pass rusher would open things up so much for our plethora of interior disrupters. Personally, I don't expect us to have Wilson running for his life, no matter how bad Seattle's OL could be.

Absolutely agree, still looking for some kind of output from Thomas and Armstead especially though. Really hope Armstead can find some success there, even if I'm not that confident. I really want him to be succesfull here and it really would make life easier for the team if he could fill that need. Often it looks like we're really close to getting a sack but are just a bit too slow/ a step away, some explosiveness would certainly help. Maybe we can find some sort of rocket propulsion for AA. Pimp my Armstead.

20 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Maybe we see PitaT active for a game or two and used in some situations. I bet Reuben Foster/Malcom Smith were going to be used in a fair amount of blitzes too which would help. 

25 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

The most disconcerting thing about that is the fact that Carolina doesn't exactly have a premier offensive line to begin with. While it's certainly better than Seattle's, it's still not great. They did perform well in the preseason, so maybe they are going to be better than I thought coming into the season (Matt Kalil has been a very bad lineman for years now...wasn't expecting that to change), but it was still alarming that we were so thoroughly beat in the passing game there.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The most disconcerting thing about that is the fact that Carolina doesn't exactly have a premier offensive line to begin with. While it's certainly better than Seattle's, it's still not great. They did perform well in the preseason, so maybe they are going to be better than I thought coming into the season (Matt Kalil has been a very bad lineman for years now...wasn't expecting that to change), but it was still alarming that we were so thoroughly beat in the passing game there.

Still the first game of the season in a new scheme though, second game against a weeker opposition is where we should really have something to show for.

5 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think I'm gonna just pick us to win every week, trying to be more positive in my life, some Tim Robbins ish. I'm also reverse jynxing my work eliminator game where I picked seattle. The end of the season pot is like 8k so i'm not messin around. 

You mean Tony Robbins.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, that didn't take long. Looks like Tomlinson will be the starting LG this week. 

Good news on the Ward front as well. He will probably be a bit rusty though.

Tomlinson on a new team with a new system, and starting on the road against Seattle after being here two weeks? Oh and he's not very good overall anyway? Gonna be a fugly time. Can't do worse than Beadles though.

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think if Tartt shows enough the team will move on from Reid or give it a long thought. Reid is in store for a big season and that's going to lead to him getting a lot of attention in free agency. Granted, we could just shut that off by tagging him as Forge mentioned above. We do have a crazy amount of cap space so money shouldn't be the deciding factor if we are keeping Reid or not. It will come down to how they feel about the rest of the safeties, Tartt in particular.

Tartt still needs to develop but he could be a capable starter in this defense@SS by 2018. I think no matter what kind of year Reid has, he won't be a back next year. I think we have too many young options that I believe the current staff is high on to pay Reid the kind of money he'll probably fetch on the open market. I think either Tartt or Jerome could be ready to start at SS by next year.  Not to mention we were able to stash a guy like Chancellor James on IR, who should be in the mix for playing time next year also. So it's not like he cupboard is bare. We have some options waiting in the wings. 

31 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Tartt still needs to develop but he could be a capable starter in this defense@SS by 2018. I think no matter what kind of year Reid has, he won't be a back next year. I think we have too many young options that I believe the current staff is high on to pay Reid the kind of money he'll probably fetch on the open market. I think either Tartt or Jerome could be ready to start at SS by next year.  Not to mention we were able to stash a guy like Chancellor James on IR, who should be in the mix for playing time next year also. So it's not like he cupboard is bare. We have some options waiting in the wings. 

Frightening that our definition of the cupboard not being bare is an underwhelming former second round pick who may or may not  finally be ready to start competently in year 4, and two udfas. 

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

Frightening that our definition of the cupboard not being bare is an underwhelming former second round pick who may or may not  finally be ready to start competently in year 4, and two udfas. 

Indeed. For that reason enough I think we make a strong effort to bring back Reid. But I also think he'll have a good year in this scheme if he remains healthy, adding towards our efforts to resign him.

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

A friend of mine played at LSU with Reid Mathieu etc and he told me last season that Reid was going to leave and go to Carolina. We will see. I really like tartt. That was a reach no doubt but he does pack a punch and seems to be a playmaker. Hes someone with a nose for the football and knows how use his pads. Good safties are imperative for this scheme and I think tartt is a solid player. 

Did anyone see that goddamned Wilson commercial that aired tonight? Basically he is wearing cleats and is playing the 49ers who are all wearing rollerskates (not even roller blades, but those big goofy skates) and we keep slipping around trying to get him and he jukes our entire team while disco music is playing in the background and we look like buffoons. Really freaking disrespectful commercial to air the week we are going to play them. Got my blood boiling and I really hope our defense saw it. Hes a slippery little bugger but I'm hoping the length we have up front can bottle him up somewhat and that someone can lay a nice hit or two on him early. Too bad foster isn't here to lay the lumber. Really a freaking classless thing to put out there while we suck. Go enjoy your own success and don't worry about us. Sheesh. 

Let's makes these ****ers go 0-2 and shock the world lol I would be more than ok with having them be our version of the 2016 rams, meaning we beat them twice but go 2-14

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Its not where you start though. UDFAs or not, if they can play then they'll play. Devoting draft capital to the position doesn't mean those guys are guaranteed to succeed either. I think the fact both James and Jerome showed well and one actually made the 53 as a UDFA rookie bodes well for the position as a whole. They identified some young talent they obviously liked. I don't see how that could be a bad thing, no matter how said talent was acquired. 

As for Tartt, a simplified scheme could only bode well for his future. He had the misfortune of being drafted relatively high for his skillset. He was a major reach. That's on the previous GM, not really him. He was always a project that needed to be developed. Not a guy who could contribute in a year or two. Also didn't help he got indoctrinated into the pro game with two horrible defensive schemes and concepts. 

Archived