OC and DC options

amazingandre

Part of me would like to see Wade Phillips and RAC partner up as co-144 year old DC to counter the McVay baby diaper trend of last offseason, but I actually think Anthony Weaver is the DC in waiting when RAC hangs up his Denny's menu. JJoe moving into a coaching position is a no brainer, but it's hard to argue with what Anthony Midget did with our island of misfit toys secondary this year.* copyright Apollo 2019   

I would love to see some new coaching ideas injected into this defensive scheme, but the reality is that there isn't a scheme around that would turn JAGs like Dunn, Blackson, Omenihu, Watkins, Scarlett, Martin, Mingo, into a pass rush that would stress any decent o-line or QB.  I am fearful that GM O'Brien will try to patchwork this front 7, like the secondary instead of recognizing that absent true fearmonger playmakers like Clowney and Watt (who's absence should be treated as the NORM, not the exception after missing 3 of 4 years), our defense will be doomed to simply slowing opponents down which doesn't match his offensive conservatism.   We can't be paying ancillary parts like Nick Martin, Fulton, Stills, $7-$8 million each or Gipson and Hargreaves $7.5 - $9 million while ignoring the one thing you almost always have to pay a premium for, which is a pass rush.  We have leverage all over the place with Watt having no guaranteed money left on his 6 year / $100m deal that has delivered 1 quality season, so  Watson/Tunsil extensions should be viewed independent of Watt who could easily restructure to push a huge chunk of his $33 million into guaranteed money next year in exchange for additional years or we could just plan on moving on.  Honestly,  he and Fuller both need to prove they can be counted on for a full season or we need to move on after 2020 anyway.            

• Like 1