Fanspeak OTC - 2020

onejayhawk

15 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Too many draftees. We're not re-tooling. We need to prepare for another SB run.

To the contrary. We are restocking.

We have quality starters most places and at least a decent player everywhere. What we need is quality depth and future starters to groom. If nothing else, it's the Patriot way.

J

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Too many draftees. We're not re-tooling. We need to prepare for another SB run.

We have the tools for another run year 1.  We need to be stocking up for years 2-4 and we aren’t gonna do that without cheap replacements for vets past this year.

10 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

37: CB TREVON DIGGS ALABAMA            5th ranked; 6.39 draft grade
63: DL ROSS BLACKLOCK TCU                  6th ranked; 6.39 draft grade
108: LB JORDYN BROOKS TEXAS TECH                 9th ranked, 6.32 draft grade
112: TE ALBERT OKWUEGBUNAM MISSOURI         6th ranked, 6.00 draft grade
138: EDGE KENNY WILLEKES MICHIGAN STATE     "unranked", 5.50 draft grade
142: RB AJ DILLON BOSTON COLLEGE                      7th ranked, 6.27 draft grade
177: G CALVIN THROCKMORTON OREGON              40th ranked, 5.89 draft grade
216: TBD

Above is listed your drafted players with their ranking and draft grade. Courtesy of NFL.com

I don't mind trading out of the 1/32 pick so much. I do object to trading our 3rd.rd. pick. I'm happy with Kelce and Bell as our TE.  Willekes can definitely be improved upon. I like Dillon. Throckmorton isn't the answer for our Oline IMO.

I still feel your draft focuses more on quantity than quality. I like Diggs, Brooks and Dillon. Blacklock scares me with the previous achilles issue.

Steve, big board 3-31-2020, Difficult setting; TRADE, our 1/32 for the NY Jets 2/16, 3/4.

6 players instead of 8, but all of substantial quality. Rankings and Draft Grades courtesy of NFL.com

48: R2P16
CB JAYLON JOHNSON,       3rd. ranked, 6.43 draft grade
UTAH
63: R2P31
C CESAR RUIZ,                      4th ranked OL, 6.37 draft grade; to play OG
MICHIGAN
68: R3P4
DL JORDAN ELLIOTT,         7th ranked, 6.36 draft grade
MISSOURI
96: R3P32
LB JORDYN BROOKS,           9th ranked, 6.32 draft grade
TEXAS TECH
138: R4P32
RB AJ DILLON ,                       7th ranked, 6.27 draft grade
BOSTON COLLEGE
177: R5P31
OT YASIR DURANT ,               15th ranked OL,  6.13 draft grade; to play OG/OT
MISSOURI

Edited by mayanfootball

40 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Above is listed your drafted players with their ranking and draft grade. Courtesy of NFL.com

I don't mind trading out of the 1/32 pick so much. I do object to trading our 3rd.rd. pick. I'm happy with Kelce and Bell as our TE.  Willekes can definitely be improved upon. I like Dillon. Throckmorton isn't the answer for our Oline IMO.

I still feel your draft focuses more on quantity than quality. I like Diggs, Brooks and Dillon. Blacklock scares me with the previous achilles issue.

Blacklock is my #3 DT after Derrick Brown and Javon Kinlaw. Both of those guys are likely to go top 15. Blacklock is twitchy and explosive more than powerful, which is exactly what we want next to Nnadi. At #63 he's a steal even by your rating. 
Most of us saw Okwegbunam at Mizzou. He's not nearly as polished as some of the others, but no one has more upside. Kelce is 30 now. Look how fast Gronk went from best in the league to retired. In two years we need someone ready to take over if necessary. 
I may give you Willekes, though he should be rated by NFL. He's a three year starter at a top 20 program, can set an edge and tackle. That said, his upside is not great. At #138 he at value, but probably no better than that.
I wonder if you even know who Throckmorton is. He's exactly the sort of player we should be looking at in the 5th round--big, moves well in space, pass blocks very well. He played both tackles in college, but is likely an OG in the NFL. The big knock on him is that he will need to learn a new position. 

Don't fall in love with one set of grades, and remember that we have our own style and need players that fit the way we play. That's why I am looking at safties in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Our safties have a lot over coverage responsibilities in addition to run support. On the other side, our CB position is not as demanding.

Willekes is ranked, just way down there. He's an FA to me. Again, we don't need a TE this year to play next year or 2. I like players who are BPA and fulfill a need sooner than later. We don't have a full slate of selections this year.

Edited by mayanfootball

45 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Willekes is ranked, just way down there. He's an FA to me. Again, we don't need a TE this year to play next year or 2. I like players who are BPA and fulfill a need sooner than later. We don't have a full slate of selections this year.

Willekes is definitely better than 6/7/UDFA. Three year starters for major programs are almost always better than that. In a lot of ways, he would good for us. He has good size and build, football smart, very dedicated and studious, never gives up on a play and tackles extremely well. He's like Biadasz, in that there is reason to think he is close to maxed out. As I said, he's the one I might concede.

If you like BPA, what is your issue with Okwegbunam? Throckmorton would also be an outstanding pick. Both would be available because they are raw and need to be trained. Guys with that much potential, and are ready to play, go in round #1.  

J

11 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I think Jay is trying to keep the future in mind as well, Do we need a TE right now? NO but in 1-2 years? Maybe. If injury strikes the answer is yes.  If we want a dynasty we have to have draft well every year, make hard choices and always have quality depth and development.

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

If you like BPA, what is your issue with Okwegbunam? 

He's a TE that I don't feel we need over ANY of the picks I made. At 6.00, his draft grade just doesn't scream BUY to me.

Willekes is definitely better than 6/7/UDFA.

Not according to NFL.com. Review a player's qualities related to his draft grade.

Edited by mayanfootball

1 minute ago, mayanfootball said:

He's a TE that I don't feel we need over ANY of the picks I made. At 6.00, his draft grade just doesn't scream BUY to me.

Not according to NFL.com

You need to remember that draft grades made Tom Brady a 7th round pick. Also need is relative. We don't need anything except DT, and that assumes Chris Jones is not back.

The point is to upgrade talent in anticipation of future need. I mentioned the Patriots. They are famous for drafting 2nd and 3rd round guys a year or two ahead of the opening. When a player moves on or an injury occurs, they have someone ready to step in and play. Albert Okwegbunam is not ready to step in and play. If he was, the grade would be much higher, possibly first round. However, he is definitely in the conversation for best player available and we have a need for TE on the horizon.

J

You need to remember that draft grades made Tom Brady a 7th round pick. Also need is relative. We don't need anything except DT, and that assumes Chris Jones is not back.

The point is to upgrade talent in anticipation of future need. I mentioned the Patriots. They are famous for drafting 2nd and 3rd round guys a year or two ahead of the opening. When a player moves on or an injury occurs, they have someone ready to step in and play. Albert Okwegbunam is not ready to step in and play. If he was, the grade would be much higher, possibly first round. However, he is definitely in the conversation for best player available and we have a need for TE on the horizon.

J

I'd argue CB is our biggest need. But I agree with the rest.