Fanspeak OTC - 2020

onejayhawk

10 hours ago, Bullyball said:

I would look to add a DE in the draft to go opposite of Clark. TK played the run well and added a little pressure here and there, but we need a consistent threat on the opposite side of Clark and with Jones in the middle. If YGM is available at 32, I would run to the podium and select him before any OL.

I would also replace each of the LBs. Hitchens, Ragland are slow un-athletic linebackers and they can't cover. We get killed on stretch runs to the outside because our linebackers are too slow. We need some speed at that position, and we need someone that can cover TEs and backs. However,  this is a weak linebacker class in terms of not much depth. They're a few(Kenneth Murray, Isisah Simmons, Patrick Queen) that can be selected in the first round but maybe out of reach at 32 :D.

Why? Ogbah was a stud when he was healthy. Okafor added some pass rush. We also have Breeland Speaks coming back. Even if we lose one of those to FA, we're still set. That isn't even counting two guys getting rings, Suggs and Demone Harris. Fresh blood is always important, but re-signing Chris Jones is a lot more important. 

At LB, there is no reason to replace Wilson. He's solid and versatile. Hitchens is overpaid, but his play isn't a problem. Ragland is well suited to the way we used him. He played a lot in the Super Bowl--26 snaps--because we wanted the run defense. I don't think any of those three potential are likely to step in and star. Terrell Suggs looked like he was born playing this defense. I wonder if he's back and in what role? 

A difference maker is always good and there is no such things as too much depth. That said, if we go front seven in the first round, it ought to be a player who is sliding, unless we loose Chris Jones. Then we have a hole to fix and we have to ask what Saunders can do.

One other thing. This defensive scheme is suitable for DT/DE tweeners. We can get those a round or more below their skill level.

J

Resigning Chris Jones is a priority and he's stated he wants to stay and return to the Chiefs. Okafor and Ogbah tore their pec's and that more than hurts (she said). It's a dynamic injury to return from and i'm not counting on them to return to pre-injury performance so soon Speaks was suspended, didn't really impress, so can he be counted on? I say no. Suggs is another year older and isn't really a part of viable longterm planning. Why not replace at least 1 or 2 of these guys with a Bradlee Anae or James Lynch who will be there of us to pick. Small school Anae had a superb Senior Bowl that shows he belongs. Lynch was great at Baylor.

At LB, Hitchens, Ragland  can be replaced. LB is arguably the weakest part of our defense. Why not draft some young talent better suited to combat today's NFL passing attacks? Akeem Davis-Gaither/App.St., Logan Wilson/Wyo., Jacob Phillips/LSU, and Jordyn Brooks are all worth considering early. I especially like Akeem D-G who is a prototype pass defender at LB.

Throw in a drafted CB (of which there are many), and maybe FS and the Chiefs will have a much better ability to withstand the tests of the 2020 season.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:52 PM, onejayhawk said:

Why? Ogbah was a stud when he was healthy. Okafor added some pass rush. We also have Breeland Speaks coming back. Even if we lose one of those to FA, we're still set. That isn't even counting two guys getting rings, Suggs and Demone Harris. Fresh blood is always important, but re-signing Chris Jones is a lot more important. 

At LB, there is no reason to replace Wilson. He's solid and versatile. Hitchens is overpaid, but his play isn't a problem. Ragland is well suited to the way we used him. He played a lot in the Super Bowl--26 snaps--because we wanted the run defense. I don't think any of those three potential are likely to step in and star. Terrell Suggs looked like he was born playing this defense. I wonder if he's back and in what role? 

A difference maker is always good and there is no such things as too much depth. That said, if we go front seven in the first round, it ought to be a player who is sliding, unless we loose Chris Jones. Then we have a hole to fix and we have to ask what Saunders can do.

One other thing. This defensive scheme is suitable for DT/DE tweeners. We can get those a round or more below their skill level.

J

Ogbah was a stud when he was healthy. Okafor added some pass rush.

Torn pec's don't allow for being a "stud". Questionable return athletiscism.

We also have Breeland Speaks coming back.

I certainly hope not.

That isn't even counting two guys getting rings, Suggs and Demone Harris.

Probably not in our plans.

R1P32, Bradlee Anae, Edge, Utah; James Lynch or Anae will only enhance F.Clark's action on the other side of the DL

R2P63, Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio St.; plug 'n play CB

R3P96, Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, App.St.; pass defense LB

R4P135, Jordan Phillips, LB, LSU; at least run defense LB; LSU pedigree

R5P177, Hakeem Adeniji, OG, Kansas; OL backup across the OL (except OC).

Edited by mayanfootball

Sometimes, letting the draft come to you works best. No reaches, no big sliders, value clear through.

32: CB JEFF GLADNEY TCU
63: RB D'ANDRE SWIFT GEORGIA
96: LB AKEEM DAVIS-GAITHER APPALACHIAN STATE
135: G SOLOMON KINDLEY GEORGIA
177: S REGGIE FLOYD VIRGINIA TECH

"jake", big board; difficult setting

1/32 Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State; plug 'n play CB

2/31 Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne; maybe 2nd. best S out there

3/32 Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, App.St.; best pass defense LB available

4/32 Robert Hunt, OT, Louisiana-LaFayette; can move inside to OG if needed.

5/31 Michael Onwenu, OG, Michigan; big body and can pull

Edited by mayanfootball

These things frequently take off in a direction you do not expect. CBS big board, Difficult

I particularly like Bryant in round #3. 

32: DL NEVILLE GALLIMORE OKLAHOMA
63: OT EZRA CLEVELAND BOISE STATE
96: TE HARRISON BRYANT FLORIDA ATLANTIC
135: WR DARRELL STEWART MICHIGAN STATE
177: RB RAYMOND CALAIS LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE

Again, but with Fanspeak big board

32: CB JEFF GLADNEY TCU
63: TE COLE KMET NOTRE DAME 
96: LB MALIK HARRISON OHIO STATE
135: WR COLLIN JOHNSON TEXAS
177: G MICHAEL ONWENU MICHIGAN

Edited by onejayhawk

Did a fanspeak just to see where they have guys going now. I would love for this draft to happen. I wanted to get a CB early and TE somewhere but the value was never there.

32: R1P32
EDGE ZACK BAUN   : Should start day one at sam
WISCONSIN
63: R2P31
C TYLER BIADASZ  : Should start day one at c or og
WISCONSIN
96: R3P32
WR ISAIAH HODGINS  : Replacement for Sammy. should see early playing time
OREGON STATE
135: R4P32
RB ZACK MOSS : Should start day one, but likely will sit behind Damien
UTAH
177: R5P31
CB AMIK ROBERTSON : Depth DB in the mold of Mathieu. He could take on Fullers role really well I think.
LOUISIANA TECH

45 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

If we're going to pick a Center, i'm curious what you guys think of Lloyd Cushenberry and Cesar Ruiz. Both are Juniors as is Biadesz.

I like both. Ruiz has a bit more size and excells in pass prot and has played some Guard giving him the edge.