Season Finale GDT: Bears @ Vikings

beardown3231

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I disagree. Montgomery is fine for now. I'm surprised @Sugashane listed RB2 and RB3 as positions that are fine. Neither Cohen or Nall are good enough right now.

I think if the offensive line is better then they will play better as well. If that excuse is able to be used for Montgomery it should be able to be used for Cohen too.

I'm not saying to extend Cohen though either, he's on the last year of his rookie deal so why get rid of such a cheap player who has upside?

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think if the offensive line is better then they will play better as well. If that excuse is able to be used for Montgomery it should be able to be used for Cohen too.

I'm not saying to extend Cohen though either, he's on the last year of his rookie deal so why get rid of such a cheap player who has upside?

Then why not list RB1 as a locked up spot?

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Because I lack faith that the offensive line will get corrected in one season.

And it is definitely a priority over rb. 

Of course the OL is a priority over RB, but I thought your list is a list of spots that do not need to be addressed. I'd rather upgrade Cohen than Montgomery, if it's one or the other. Also, I didn't know it was OT *or* RB1. I don't think RB1 has to be upgraded.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Of course the OL is a priority over RB, but I thought your list is a list of spots that do not need to be addressed. I'd rather upgrade Cohen than Montgomery, if it's one or the other. Also, I didn't know it was OT *or* RB1. I don't think RB1 has to be upgraded.

I want competition for them with a cheap vet but don't want to invest a pick there this year. If he can beat the journeyman then let him have the one,  then Cohen vs vet for the two role. 

I hope Montgomery is the long term answer but he hasn't earned anything yet. He really hasn't been the receiver I thought he would be. 

If you're a RB1 I'd like to see you make the OL look good every once in a while. I don't think he did that. He's just a guy. Patterson has looked better than Montgomery. 

If Montgomery is our starter then our RB rotation looks meh imo. If we get a quality starter with Montgomery as our 2 and Cohen taking Pattersons return duties and being our #3 I'd be much happier with that. 

4 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

If you're a RB1 I'd like to see you make the OL look good every once in a while. I don't think he did that. He's just a guy. Patterson has looked better than Montgomery. 

If Montgomery is our starter then our RB rotation looks meh imo. If we get a quality starter with Montgomery as our 2 and Cohen taking Pattersons return duties and being our #3 I'd be much happier with that. 

Patterson had one good offensive play all year and it was 3.5 months ago, but I get what you're saying.

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I want competition for them with a cheap vet but don't want to invest a pick there this year. If he can beat the journeyman then let him have the one,  then Cohen vs vet for the two role. 

I hope Montgomery is the long term answer but he hasn't earned anything yet. He really hasn't been the receiver I thought he would be. 

If RB2 is etched in stone as you said, then vet vs Cohen shouldn't be a competition. If it is a competition, then RB2 isn't etched in stone.

He also hasn't gotten a lot of receiving opportunities.

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Patterson had one good offensive play all year and it was 3.5 months ago, but I get what you're saying.

If RB2 is etched in stone as you said, then vet vs Cohen shouldn't be a competition. If it is a competition, then RB2 isn't etched in stone.

Cohen has value. He has to be accounted for in different ways so as a Sproles type of guy I still like him. He's that flex guy who should be our #whatever RB/WR/returner. We need 2 real RBs though. Montgomery is either good or just a guy. I see him one way others may see him another way, but at the end of the day we need another RB who can do it all. 

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

No, I feel like Montgomery is at least going to be a solid RB2, and Cohen could be a great RB3. 

Howard didn't get a lot of opportunities either. There may be a reason for that. If Nagy is able to scheme players open as well and consistently as you have said then why wouldn't he utilize a guy who is a legitimate weapon. Especially with Trubisky being so willing to throw short passes and the OL being crap, if the RB was a really good receiver then there would be no reason to overlook him. But even with all that he has only been targeted over 3 times in 3 games this season. 

He is mostly still projection, and I am comfortable with him being a number 2 right now and Cohen with a 3. 

17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

No, I feel like Montgomery is at least going to be a solid RB2, and Cohen could be a great RB3. 

Howard didn't get a lot of opportunities either. There may be a reason for that. If Nagy is able to scheme players open as well and consistently as you have said then why wouldn't he utilize a guy who is a legitimate weapon. Especially with Trubisky being so willing to throw short passes and the OL being crap, if the RB was a really good receiver then there would be no reason to overlook him. But even with all that he has only been targeted over 3 times in 3 games this season. 

He is mostly still projection, and I am comfortable with him being a number 2 right now and Cohen with a 3. 

Howard had plenty of opportunities. He had 11 less touches in 2018 than he did his rookie year.

I don't know, if you think Montgomery is a #2, who is going to come in and be a #1.

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Howard had plenty of opportunities. He had 11 less touches in 2018 than he did his rookie year.

I don't know, if you think Montgomery is a #2, who is going to come in and be a #1.

Howard about as much production as a receiver last year as Montgomery did this year, while he was supposed to be a big upgrade in that area. Overall he had about the same opportunities and production as Howard did last year. Nothing to be too impressed with so far. 

Montgomery will be given the number one role next year, I'm just saying he hasn't been good enough to warrant walking into a starting role. He will get the role handed to him because there are too many places that will demand too much of Chicago's limited resources and we have seen he can at least be serviceable and is cheap.

This win felt hollow given the circumstances.

How the Bears approach the 2020 season will be interesting given their limited resources.

This situation will be incredibly complicated for Trubisky, Nagy, Pace, and others. There are competing interests of trying to develop and evaluate a QB while also trying to win and build continuity.

This season generated a lot of second-guessing, particularly of Nagy, which wasn’t totally fair. It’s very difficult to uproot an offense you’ve spent 1.5 years installing to run something totally different. It also prevents you from getting the looks needed to develop and evaluate guys in your offense. And while there were times when Nagy completely mismanaged the game, he worked under considerable limitations that very few coaches can overcome.

Pace drafted Mitch and chose to double down on that choice by trading for Mack. My hope is that he uses the next offseason to make responsible, future-oriented moves even if the 2020 playoffs are sacrificed. The Bears are locked into a potentially terrible situation. There may need to be influence from above Pace to stop him from making desperation, job-saving moves.

At this point it’s fairly certain that Mitch is not going to be a great QB. That’s not to say he can’t move into the middle tier of NFL starters, but he’s not the guy you’ll consistently win with and that’s pretty disappointing. I heard today that Mitch has been under intense pressure this season - that’s about to be magnified. He’s going to have real competition next season and he’s going to be playing for his future.

How the Bears manage the QB position with regards to the competing egos and goals will be fascinating to watch. I can only hope they do better than what we saw in 2019.