Penn extension coming soon

drfrey13

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Raiders working on a 2 year extension for Penn.  Hope it is structured correctly so we can get out nice and easy with a 36 year LT if his play falls off.

Dear god, please let that be the case. From what we have seen from Reggie I can't see this being a contract that hurts or traps the team.

11 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Dear god, please let that be the case. From what we have seen from Reggie I can't see this being a contract that hurts or traps the team.

Yeah. Based on Reggie's past contracts this should be a teamfriendly structure.

Penn is not young, he lost the hold out battle, so RM should be able to form the deal well.

I imagine this will be a 1+1 year deal with free exit for the team. Basically we can keep him as long as he plays well and as long as we need him in front of Sharpe/Ware or someone else...

16 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's contracted to the end of this year and we're looking at extending another 2 years on top to the end of the 2019 season? What kind of numbers do you think we're looking at $10m + per season??

He wants to be paid like a top 10 LT, that would be 11+ million a season.  Its crazy how expensive a good LT is.  Hopefully he's willing to take something between his current salary and 11 million.  I would be happy if we talked him into a yearly salary of 8-9 million with incentives.

18 minutes ago, Jerry said:

He wants to be paid like a top 10 LT, that would be 11+ million a season.  Its crazy how expensive a good LT is.  Hopefully he's willing to take something between his current salary and 11 million.  I would be happy if we talked him into a yearly salary of 8-9 million with incentives.

37 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's contracted to the end of this year and we're looking at extending another 2 years on top to the end of the 2019 season? What kind of numbers do you think we're looking at $10m + per season??

I hoping they are redoing this year and adding another in a 1+1 like Rolni said with no dead money.

But realistically I think it's gonna be something like Whitworth (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/andrew-whitworth-1388/) or  Peters (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jason-peters-1179/) deal. This year may get a slight bump guarnteed but the next years will be 11-12mil range but we can dump him at any time with little to no dead money.

10 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I hoping they are redoing this year and adding another in a 1+1 like Rolni said with no dead money.

But realistically I think it's gonna be something like Whitworth (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/andrew-whitworth-1388/) or  Peters (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jason-peters-1179/) deal. This year may get a slight bump guarnteed but the next years will be 11-12mil range but we can dump him at any time with little to no dead money.

We'll see what happens.  I'm just glad he is back and I'm sure they will agree to a contract that everyone is happy with.  We need him right now and will continue to need him until we find a suitable replacement.

We need Penn to compete for a Superbowl. Keep him for 2 additional years and try to develop a replacement in the meantime. No mean feat. I would trade a boatload of picks if Reggie thought he could find a franchise left tackle because we need one to keep Carr upright. That being said, I hope Tice can work his magic with Shape or Ware.

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Raiders working on a 2 year extension for Penn.  Hope it is structured correctly so we can get out nice and easy with a 36 year LT if his play falls off.

when hasnt Reggie structured a contract correctly? lol, im sure itll be a fair deal, and if DP slips up we will be able to get out of it relatively easy. Hes aging nicely, and hopefully can play out the next two years at a high level.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

when hasnt Reggie structured a contract correctly? lol, im sure itll be a fair deal, and if DP slips up we will be able to get out of it relatively easy. Hes aging nicely, and hopefully can play out the next two years at a high level.

Austin Howard.  It was a stupid mistake but it did happen.  As a young up and coming team we have leverage over incoming free agents so we should be fine.  

RM's MO is to give 50% guaranteed and that is paid out over the first half of the contract.  This works will because we are locked in while the players abilities have not dropped off a cliff yet. It has happened a couple times that we have been stuck with a player for a year with diminished talent. Dan Williams and what many here believed was a bad Sean Smith this year.  Smith after one game to have improved on last year so I would not necessarily count him but if he had his contract would have been a wasted $9.5 million this year.

23 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

That would seem to be a sensible option, Penn has played at a very high level and definitely outplayed his current contract but he's still a player getting up there in age at a position where players generally have a big dip in play as they go past their mid thirties. I'd be more than happy if he got a slight bump this year and $11m or thereabouts next year and I think if we can we'd like to play the Khalif Barnes card and extend year on year at his vintage if he wants to carry on after that.

3 hours ago, Darkness said:

Well deserved. Penn's right there with Crabtree as Reggie's best FA signing

I agree but penn is also getting up there in age. If the front office is smart they'll be working on a succession plan. If not then we'll  look like the giants. 

Archived