Penn extension coming soon

drfrey13

3 hours ago, Darkness said:

Well deserved. Penn's right there with Crabtree as Reggie's best FA signing

Agreed, Penn was an excellent signing at a time when a lot of people were worried about losing Veldheer - I include myself there too but it's turned out to be probably the best value signing we've had for a couple decades.

with the new rules with limited contact during practice and what not, im a big fan of how Reggie has built this line. 

It is tough to draftgood lineman these days, and the first week + 1 game have shown that. So many sacks across the league, and a lot of low scoring games.
It is getting tougher and tougher to develop good lineman. 
Outside of Gabe, Reggie has just gone out and paid the best available. Hudson and KO especially, maybe it seemed like at the time he over paid, but oh boy things have changed.
In the NFL, you win in the trenches, if that takes 5 guys at 10m a year up front get it done. 

It will be interesting to see how we handle LToTF, is Reggie planning on KO sliding over after Penn? Will we use our 1st rounder? If one comes available in FA by some odd chance, i have no doubt Reggie will lock them up. 

As fans we love guys like Amari Crab and even Lynch but they all benefit from that line. Id much rather pay the line and have average skill position players then vice versa. 

Right now we are lucky, and have both. Itll be interesting to see RM budget strategy develop over the next few years.
But I definitely believe he will always invest heavily, and maybe more than some think necessary in the Oline

On 9/15/2017 at 8:51 AM, NightTrainLane said:

The trick is how much of a guarantee in that first year and when does it kick in...now the vigil for the full #s on the deal...

edYve_s-200x150.gif

First, it changes his dead money # to $3mil. So still not a huge deal if we move on but it is enough to give us pause.

Then the total #s in the tweet add up to $16.5mil of the $21mil this 2yr extension was reported as. You would think that the remaining $4.5mil is some sort of bonus that we prorated to him immediately or the holdout makes little sense.

12 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

First, it changes his dead money # to $3mil. So still not a huge deal if we move on but it is enough to give us pause.

Then the total #s in the tweet add up to $16.5mil of the $21mil this 2yr extension was reported as. You would think that the remaining $4.5mil is some sort of bonus that we prorated to him immediately or the holdout makes little sense.

I think the 4.5 was probably added to his salary for the 2017 season. 

I don't see why there would be any dead money if he's cut after 2018. Doesn't seem to be any guarantee for 2019. But you might be right and that 4.5 may have been a signing bonus which would mean 1.5 in dead money if cut after 2018

Unless his play fell off a cliff there's no way he wasn't coming back for 2018 anyway 

1 minute ago, raiderrocker18 said:

I think the 4.5 was probably added to his salary for the 2017 season. 

I don't see why there would be any dead money if he's cut after 2018. Doesn't seem to be any guarantee for 2019. But you might be right and that 4.5 may have been a signing bonus which would mean 1.5 in dead money if cut after 2018

I think we got our wires crossed. Let me clarify what I meant.

I was saying that that 4.5mil was given to him immediately... In 2017. What it's called isn't important: added to 2017 salary, prorated bonus or whatever.

Then the 3mil guaranteed in 2018 that the tweet noted was separate and would count as dead money only if we cut him in this coming off season. If we keep him in 2018, then there would be no dead money if cut before 2019.

33 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I think we got our wires crossed. Let me clarify what I meant.

I was saying that that 4.5mil was given to him immediately... In 2017. What it's called isn't important: added to 2017 salary, prorated bonus or whatever.

Then the 3mil guaranteed in 2018 that the tweet noted was separate and would count as dead money only if we cut him in this coming off season. If we keep him in 2018, then there would be no dead money if cut before 2019.

Ah now I see what you were saying. But it is very different if the 4.5 million is salary for 2017 or a pro rated bonus. The latter would increase dead money in the event he is cut, even if the cut occurs after 2018

1 hour ago, raiderrocker18 said:

Ah now I see what you were saying. But it is very different if the 4.5 million is salary for 2017 or a pro rated bonus. The latter would increase dead money in the event he is cut, even if the cut occurs after 2018

Yup, were on the same page. I doubt Reggie would have it as a prorated bonus to add to dead money. Just not a smart move if we are watching out for the future cap.

Then where is the missing 4.5mil at?

6mil a year for 2018 and 2019, plus 109k bonus per game for 2018 and 172k bonus per game for 2019 equals 16.5mil. The deal has been reported as a 2year 21mil deal...

We are missing something still...

If that is true that he gets no raise in 2017 (and I'm not saying it isn't, we're all just reading tweets here) then the holdout didn't accomplish it's goal and Reggie is a boss negotiator...

18 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Then where is the missing 4.5mil at?

6mil a year for 2018 and 2019, plus 109k bonus per game for 2018 and 172k bonus per game for 2019 equals 16.5mil. The deal has been reported as a 2year 21mil deal...

We are missing something still...

If that is true that he gets no raise in 2017 (and I'm not saying it isn't, we're all just reading tweets here) then the holdout didn't accomplish it's goal and Reggie is a boss negotiator...

109k bonus per game for 16 games plus 172k bonus per game for 16 games equals the 4.5 mil, so something is off.

Archived