12/29 - The Backup Bowl GDT: Steelers @ Ravens

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, Danand said:

I don't have/watch ESPN so I don't know what they do. I point towards some things that can't happen against better teams. 

With regard to the bolded part - if we can't talk scenarios, what are we doing here?

I wouldn’t be too concerned the three teams we could face are all the kind of teams that have the potential to go cold on offense.

Also while I’m slightly afraid of the Titans because of the prospect of tackling Derrick Henry, he’s seemingly been getting more and more banged up so after a tough playoff win against the Patriots (if they can accomplish that) then he might not escape completely fresh. So when we consider the fact that their defense has not seen our offense at all with Lamar Jackson, their would be an obvious adjustment period within the game... especially considering they would go from preparing for a slow pocket passer like Brady to Lamar. That and their corners shouldn’t be able to keep up with Hollywood Brown and Seth Roberts deep.

I go back and forth about which teams I most fear playing, but I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as our team comes to play.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I wouldn’t be too concerned the three teams we could face are all the kind of teams that have the potential to go cold on offense.

Also while I’m slightly afraid of the Titans because of the prospect of tackling Derrick Henry, he’s seemingly been getting more and more banged up so after a tough playoff win against the Patriots (if they can accomplish that) then he might not escape completely fresh. So when we consider the fact that their defense has not seen our offense at all with Lamar Jackson, their would be an obvious adjustment period within the game... especially considering they would go from preparing for a slow pocket passer like Brady to Lamar. That and their corners shouldn’t be able to keep up with Hollywood Brown and Seth Roberts deep.

I go back and forth about which teams I most fear playing, but I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as our team comes to play.

I am not too concerned either. The points I mentioned are the ones that will put us in a bad situation, but not something we can't overcome. Our team has stepped up in every single game, but if we don't want to get into a dog fight and lose on a last lucky play, we have to come out ready and set the tone. If we do that, I don't see why we can't put up a lot of points on most teams while keeping them honest with our defense.

In the end, Chiefs is the team I look at that most likely will be our biggest competitor. 

• Like 1

I’ve changed my mind with regard to RG3. I know he was lambasted for his “show boating in the game” but I change my mind.

He deserved to be able to do that. In the past the league was one where failed QBs, especially those of color, generally don’t get second chances at starting games let alone being a backup. This dude didn’t know if he would ever earn another shot in the league as a backup let alone as a “starter”. It’s been three years and this man patiently has been the consummate teammate. When Flacco was on the bench quietly disengaged with the team/offense, RG3 was playing the role of cheerleader. He’s continued to do that this season. Clearly he’s a guy that has a strong/renewed love for the game and that came out yesterday in the form of celebration.

Now there were certain thing with his play that I wasn’t a fan of but with how much rain we had, he did a very commendable job with how he was able to stay consistent at the mesh point for no turnovers, how he was able to take a constant beating all game long while exhibiting toughness, and he showed great zip on the ball. He needs to display more touch on passes and look to be safer with the football. His pocket presence left something to be desired but for his first game in three years, you could do A LOT worse with your backup. He moved the all with his legs and arms. He’s not Lamar, but if he were than Lamar wouldn’t be the MVP. Griffin displayed to me that he could be a top quality backup with his combination of running and passing prowess. He had more speed than I thought and on one play in particular turned the jets on.

On the other hand, he probably showed that he’s not someone you can rely on as a franchise QB, so we should be pretty good in being able to retain his services outside of whatever team picks up Greg Roman to be their HC.

• Like 1