Offensive Coaching Staff Shakeup Looming?

G08

Just sifting through what I saw Dan Pompei talking about, and listening to what Adam Jahns was saying on his podcast... sounds like there might be some changes coming to the offensive coaching staff.

Not sure what is going to happen... if I had to guess I think Dave Ragone sticks around because of his relationship with Mitch, but I think Mark Helfrich is a goner. He was brought here because Nagy thought he was cutting edge in the RPO game and that clearly hasn't worked well for us whatsoever.

So that means we should have an opening at OC... I can't believe I'm saying this but I might take a hard look at Marty Mornhinweg (heavy emphasis on the word 'might'). Tons of experience in this offense (spent 10 years with Andy Reid) and has had success as an offensive coordinator.

Edited by G08

There better be a major shake up coming at both OC & with the OL coach...

Mike McDaniel at OC & Chris Foerster at OL...get this OL back to zone blocking which fits this teams linemen so much better than a power scheme and start running some stretch zone to the the running game going and give Trubisky some each bootleg completions.

I would fire, if I can’t fire Pace,

Heistand

Helfrich

Ragone

OC: I hire a legit OL coach, bump his pay and title. Get someone in the room that can design and demand run calls.

OL: give me a red *** who is going to get these guys coming off the ball and fighting some dudes.

QB: I need a former NFL QB who has actually started games. This is mental with 10.

• Like 2

Don't know what to think anymore. Heistand, I guess, has to go--for producing very little with good players. The rest? I don't know. So much of it is Nagy's fault, it's simply hard to say what they should do. A good argument can be made for getting rid of Nagy and keeping all of the assistants. 

Yikes. 

I think Helfrich is a goner, along with Hiestand because someone has to be the fall guy.  I think Ragone stays simply because in the preseason Ragone called the plays for the final game, so obviously Nagy really likes the guy and if anyone is being "groomed" to move it's Ragone.  You might even see a new quarterback coach (Daniel) and Ragone promoted to OC.  That wouldn't surprise me at all.

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Take it for what it's worth but the media asked Helfrich about that today and he said "it's a possibility."

Yeah just watched this now, he doesn't exactly look filled with confidence that he's coming back, he's not stupid, he knows he could be a casualty of the offense's failures this season.

I'd get rid of Helfrich, Hiestand and Ragone. Like you guys have said though, the Bears keeping Ragone would not be a surprise - the other two are gone I think. 

Wonder if they'd fire Kevin Gilbride too, injuries might be the excuse that keeps him in a job but we have had nothing from TE all year and we all know how big of a part of the offense that position is.

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think Ragone and Helfrich might as well be packed before the plane leaves.

The QB and offense sucked and they are the 2 easiest to drive the bus over.

As much as I wouldn't care to see either go not sure Helfrich can be blamed for much since Nagy is the one who calls the plays on game days.  Helfrich probably just assists with play design and install.

Besides Ragone, the most deserving of a firing is Harry Hiestand.  Completely unacceptable performance by the o-line this year, and while I don't know this for sure, one would have to think he was a big proponent of starting Daniels at center this year.

Too many missed assignments and confusion with the line play this year.  That falls on the coach for not having these guys prepared.

1 hour ago, RJ_11 said:

Yeah just watched this now, he doesn't exactly look filled with confidence that he's coming back, he's not stupid, he knows he could be a casualty of the offense's failures this season.

I'd get rid of Helfrich, Hiestand and Ragone. Like you guys have said though, the Bears keeping Ragone would not be a surprise - the other two are gone I think. 

Wonder if they'd fire Kevin Gilbride too, injuries might be the excuse that keeps him in a job but we have had nothing from TE all year and we all know how big of a part of the offense that position is.

I could see Helfrich taking a college job, like maybe Miami's OC after their brutal bowl performance yesterday

I would fire Harry for sure. I would consider firing Mark and Dave. If DeFlippo is available and is interested in being an OC I would give him a shot. I doubt Nagy would go for that, he still wants to call the plays. 

In an ideal world, we have an OL coach/run game coordinator. 

Some Bears blogger is saying he was told Helfrich is a goner (no idea if he has sources or not so take this with a grain of salt). 

Said he thinks it will be an assistant from KC to come in as OC. Based on that my guess would be their QB coach (and Chicago native) Mike Kafka. 

• Like 2