Falcons’ GM Thomas Dimitroff and HC Dan Quinn Will Return in 2020

ramssuperbowl99

But why? Hes a defensive guy his defense ranked 19th in yards this year, 22nd in points given, and 21st in takeaways this year ending in likely 7-9 or 6-10, with 7 losses of 7 or more points.  Last year 28th in yards, 25th in points given up and 20th in takeaways ending in 7-9. When they made the superbowl run it was because of the offense not the defense and once that Shanahan left the team proved they were garbage.  Huge mistake keeping this guy when they have all this money invested in the offense on guys that are just rotting before they retire.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Probably a good thing for the future of the Falcons and their next head coach. 

Matt Ryan is getting paid 15 million this year.  Julio Jones is getting paid 10 million this year.  That's 25 million between them. 

Next year?  Ryan gets paid 33 million, Julio gets paid 20 million.  That's 53 million dollars, over a quarter of the salary cap, to a fringe top ten QB and WR that will be 31 years old next year. 

Add to that fact that the Falcons have the second lowest amount of cap space in the league heading into next year (they're already slated to be OVER the cap)...

They're in deep trouble.  They'll be losing their EDGE (Beasley).  Even though he's not that great, they have no possible hope of re-signing him. 

They will also be losing Hooper, whom they have no chance to re-sign. 

You've got a team who missed on Takk McKinley.  Can't fault them for that, busts happen.  But then they compound that mistake by drafting another WR in the first round and an interior offensive lineman.

They are literally going to have to cut/restructure players on their roster just to be able to afford to sign their ROOKIES, plus they're going to have to sign a minimum amount of talent while being 5.75 million OVER their effective cap space for 2020. 

No head coach is coming in and surviving that. 

This is what happens when you commit so much to WR and offense.  I think out of all the teams in the NFL, their outlook is the most bleak.  So yeah, you might as well keep Quinn so you can fire him next year because no help is coming to that team. 

You pay those guys when you have an offensive mind coach, Quinn's defense was never good the day he stepped in as HC. They need to bring in an innovative offensive guy that can complement Ryan and Julio. If your going to pay those guys you need someone who can get the job done which Shanahan did while he was OC. All in all the team needs to start fresh with coaching staff as they have nothing but a disappointment.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Matt Ryan is getting paid 15 million this year.  Julio Jones is getting paid 10 million this year.  That's 25 million between them. 

Next year?  Ryan gets paid 33 million, Julio gets paid 20 million.  That's 53 million dollars, over a quarter of the salary cap, to a fringe top ten QB and WR that will be 31 years old next year. 

Add to that fact that the Falcons have the second lowest amount of cap space in the league heading into next year (they're already slated to be OVER the cap)...

They're in deep trouble.  They'll be losing their EDGE (Beasley).  Even though he's not that great, they have no possible hope of re-signing him. 

They will also be losing Hooper, whom they have no chance to re-sign. 

You've got a team who missed on Takk McKinley.  Can't fault them for that, busts happen.  But then they compound that mistake by drafting another WR in the first round and an interior offensive lineman.

They are literally going to have to cut/restructure players on their roster just to be able to afford to sign their ROOKIES, plus they're going to have to sign a minimum amount of talent while being 5.75 million OVER their effective cap space for 2020. 

No head coach is coming in and surviving that. 

This is what happens when you commit so much to WR and offense.  I think out of all the teams in the NFL, their outlook is the most bleak.  So yeah, you might as well keep Quinn so you can fire him next year because no help is coming to that team. 

A WR that can't even score touchdowns at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

You pay those guys when you have an offensive mind coach, Quinn's defense was never good the day he stepped in as HC. They need to bring in an innovative offensive guy that can complement Ryan and Julio. If your going to pay those guys you need someone who can get the job done which Shanahan did while he was OC. All in all the team needs to start fresh with coaching staff as they have nothing but a disappointment.

Jay Gruden as an Assistant HC/OC makes a LOT of sense, then. Matt Ryan is the type of QB he leans towards and a guy like Julio gets open no matter what sort of offense he's in. 

That could get the O moving in the right direction.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Jay Gruden as an Assistant HC/OC makes a LOT of sense, then. Matt Ryan is the type of QB he leans towards and a guy like Julio gets open no matter what sort of offense he's in. 

That could get the O moving in the right direction.

Problem is they said the OC is staying which is a head scratcher. Fans have to be pissed at this move

• Like 2

Falcons can restructure contracts to get around cap space, so I don't think that it's a big deal. Teams run up against the cap all the time and figure their way around it. The problem with the cap is that the Falcons spent money on on offensive linemen in free agency, and they busted hard.

However, this is a horrible decision. If you're making this move, then you have to be thinking that this team is super close to getting over the hump - only bad luck kept you down, but it's so far away from that it's not funny. 2020 is basically a wash now, we're going to be bad and there's not much anyone can do about it. So realistically, you're looking at 2022 before you can even think of being competitive. This 5-2 run that the Falcons are on is basically fool's gold, and it won't last.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, Outpost31 said:

1. Matt Ryan is getting paid 15 million this year.  Julio Jones is getting paid 10 million this year.  That's 25 million between them. 

2. Next year?  Ryan gets paid 33 million, Julio gets paid 20 million.  That's 53 million dollars, over a quarter of the salary cap, to a fringe top ten QB and WR that will be 31 years old next year. 

3. Add to that fact that the Falcons have the second lowest amount of cap space in the league heading into next year (they're already slated to be OVER the cap)...

4. They're in deep trouble.  They'll be losing their EDGE (Beasley).  Even though he's not that great, they have no possible hope of re-signing him. 

5. They will also be losing Hooper, whom they have no chance to re-sign. 

6. You've got a team who missed on Takk McKinley.  Can't fault them for that, busts happen.  But then they compound that mistake by drafting another WR in the first round and an interior offensive lineman.

7. They are literally going to have to cut/restructure players on their roster just to be able to afford to sign their ROOKIES, plus they're going to have to sign a minimum amount of talent while being 5.75 million OVER their effective cap space for 2020. 

8. No head coach is coming in and surviving that. 

9. This is what happens when you commit so much to WR and offense.  I think out of all the teams in the NFL, their outlook is the most bleak.  So yeah, you might as well keep Quinn so you can fire him next year because no help is coming to that team. 

I'll answer this for the most part as to what i would say is correct and what you are a bit off on that can be fixed or worked around quite easily.

1. True thats what usually happens when you have 2 top 5 talents thats possible hall of fame players you usually gotta pay them top notch money almost every team does it usually no way around it if both players are great teammates and help the other people around them to get better as well. 

2. See answer above as i have no problem paying ryan and julio if it was other people worse than them which you will see below then i have a problem and that should be fixed going forward.

3. We are about 5.5 million above cap space right now that we will roll over to next year which agreed started at around 6 million or so in the negative.  We should start the offseason before any moves or cuts at 1 million under cap space.  Not great but not to terribly bad considering what we can do and should do with certain players this offseason.

4. Beasley is gone no doubt about it and i like beasley a bit but most fans do not and want him gone yesterday.  I would have wanted him back at around 3 to 4 million a year which is about what he is worth but im sure someone will overpay for him on ope market around 10 a year for those 9 to 10 sacks which i'll miss him a bit but thats the correct move letting him go for that kind of money is smart.  We can get a nice comp pick from him the year after hopefully.

5. Hoop won't be leaving im almost 100% sure on this one because we can make more than enough to resign him in cap space this offseason.  He is one of ryans favorite targets and is the only guy i can see us bringing back on a new bigger contract this offseason from the team.

6. Takk im still not sure on as according to most places he has one of the highest pressure and win rates of any edge rusher in the league.  But for some reason he isn't getting home at times.  Im hoping it finally clicks for him next year if we can get a better DT next to him and a better edge rusher than beasley on the opposite end.  But i will agree if he doesn't turn those elite level pressures into legit sacks then he will end up being a bust. Sad part is Beasley and Takk are both my 2 guys i pounded the table for in their drafts and i got my wish xD  

7.  This is a given we have to make some roster moves and thank god we have quite a few candidates that are long gone and it's gonna make a crap load of us falcon fans happy in doing so.  Time to cut some legit dead weight and under performing guys to make some good chunk of change for resigns like hoop and new players.  I'll make a list at the bottom of people who are more than like gone and how much cap space we can get from each.  Plus who is likely to restructure or get extended to lower cap hit.  We really aren't in as bad shape as it looks on paper in the cap by just checking out cap sites. 

8. Pretty sure we could have gotten a good head coach as the team is still loaded with talent and has a top tier franchise QB in place still.  Im not a huge fan of keeping Quinn and TD but i sorta expected it and just decided to live with it the last few weeks.  I do like Raheem Morris as the new DC though and the move to put him back with the CB's instead of WR's has made a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.  Our defense during the 1st 8 games was around 31st in the league.  Since Quinn removed himself as DC put raheem morris back to secondary coach and DC with ulbrich as a secondary DC.  Against the saints twice, 49ers, panthers twice, and the bucs which is a strong group of offense to go against we have been the 6th best defense in the league during that stretch with the new setup.  Raheem Morris and Jeff Ulbrich to me are really good defensive coaches and im happy to see what they can do with some more talented added there.

9. The one thing i do thing we should do but won't do is remove Koetter as OC if you are going to load up on offense then you need to get someone better than him for this talent but i can't agree that our outlook is as bleak as you are making out to be without doing the grunt work and going through our cap like alot of us have already on the falcons website.  We aren't in the greatest shape of any team in the league but were far from a trash heap it sounds like you are making it out to be at times lol. 

Now onto the cap space clearing and resutrctures to help give you an idea of what we could feasibly do to improve the team by cutting dead weight.

Cuts post june 1st
Desmond Trufant - Post June 1 : $10,750,000
Alex Mack - Cut : $8,000,000
Devonta Freeman - Post June 1 : $6,500,000
Keanu Neal : $6,466,000
Allen Bailey : $4,500,000
Ty Sambrailo : Post June 1 : $4,750,000
Luke Stocker : $2,600,000
Matt Schaub : $2,000,000
James Carpenter or Jamon Brown - Take your pick both have been garbage and i think Carpenter gets us some cap space back like a few million so i prob. release him.

Ryan/julio/grady/jones - Restructures if need be and we already done 2 of them this morning -  Ryan and Grady has put us up to 12 million in cap space in 2020 as of today.

Everyone of those guys outside of Alex Mack should either be off the team or has been injured the most of the last few years so they haven't been helping out anyways.   For the most part they have under performed or have been useless/injured. 

Our capspace if we keep mack in that bunch is around 35 million to work with overall  to get a few new players and sign rookies and this is without restructures from Ryan and Julio which we can easily do to get some extra cap space if needed.     If we cut Mack too and try to get ahead of him getting it old instead of keeping him to late  and try to replace him in the draft or with Lindstrom and have Gono(this guy is a great player all the fans love him)  take RG.   Then that can put us around 43 to 45 million in cap space.  

So as said with moving on from people we should be moving on from already anyways we can actually get out of cap hell and make a solid run at things in the offseason to improve.   If you were looking at that list of players how many guys would you actually want to keep on your team or move on from?  This is an honest question i want to know how you feel about some of them or do you think i made the right cuts as well.

Edited by FalconFan13

The Falcons fan base is some demoralized that their team forum is a ghost town. There hasn’t been a Falcons fan in the sub forum for months. Random non-Falcons fans occasionally post news, no replies from Falcons fans. The only Falcons fans left on this site are just here to troll Saints fans, pretty much. 

• Like 1