Home Opener: Eagles @ Chiefs Pederson Returns

Chiefer

Rewatching the Defensive performance yesterday....

Justin Houston is the MVP of this defense and it's really not close.  Others had better individual performances, but Houston was the key cog in our whole defensive scheme.

Chipping Ertz, holding the edge, short zones, spying the RB while halfway rushing....  these were all his responsibilities for the first 3 QT's and I'm not sure you need 1 finger to count the amount of times he missed his assignment...

Now take us to the 4th QT with a lead... let's get rid of that 3rd DL and let Houston pin his ears back! This has been the game plan with Houston for both games this year.

Credited with just 5 tackles and 1 sack, but rest assured Houston was responsible for a lot more on Sunday....  Justin Houston is back folks and he looks as good as ever??

2 hours ago, Habbsawce said:

Curious cause in week 1 they did some clocking that showed Hunt was the fastest player of the week, just a bit faster than Hill. Combine clocking will obviously be more precise, but Hunt is faster than those numbers would indicate. He flat out beat CB's down the line yesterday.

Hunt in an interview said Hill was just coasting while he was running full steam. He knows the truth ... 

16 hours ago, Habbsawce said:

Curious cause in week 1 they did some clocking that showed Hunt was the fastest player of the week, just a bit faster than Hill. Combine clocking will obviously be more precise, but Hunt is faster than those numbers would indicate. He flat out beat CB's down the line yesterday.

Gee. I thought they had a clock at the Combine.

All that said, a CB flat ran him down on that 58 yard jaunt in the Patriots game. His straight line top speed is clearly not exceptional. We have Conley for comparison, for getting Hill. It appears he has what they call "game speed". He appears to be able to multitask while going full out. On the 78 yard TD pass, the announcer was saying that the pass had to catch him exactly in stride, which is true. He also had to pull it in without bobbling--because the guys chasing are faster.

J

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

Gee. I thought they had a clock at the Combine.

All that said, a CB flat ran him down on that 58 yard jaunt in the Patriots game. His straight line top speed is clearly not exceptional. We have Conley for comparison, for getting Hill. It appears he has what they call "game speed". He appears to be able to multitask while going full out. On the 78 yard TD pass, the announcer was saying that the pass had to catch him exactly in stride, which is true. He also had to pull it in without bobbling--because the guys chasing are faster.

J

He got run down by McCourty. Being slower than one 4.4 CB does not mean he's slow. He had also seen a pretty substantial workload to that point.

If the guys chasing him on the long catch were faster, they would have caught him. You're drastically over-complicating that.

People rely too much on the 40 time. That's one sprint. Players can do their best in that one sprint or have an off moment. It isn't the end all be all.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He got run down by McCourty. Being slower than one 4.4 CB does not mean he's slow. He had also seen a pretty substantial workload to that point.

If the guys chasing him on the long catch were faster, they would have caught him. You're drastically over-complicating that.

People rely too much on the 40 time. That's one sprint. Players can do their best in that one sprint or have an off moment. It isn't the end all be all.

Yes. That is exactly what it means. And McCourty was 4.4 his rookie season. Is he still that fast? I give you 40 times are overused but it is at the least a consistent measuring stick.

I'm not trying to be critical of Hunt. I'm just pointing out that he seems to get players flatfooted. For example, the deep cover guy on the long TD run. He was flat footed, so he couldn't get angle. Watch the replay. He had good position if he reacts quickly.

J

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

To piggyback off this, some guys just aren't good at practicing. But once the game starts, they turn it up and perform way better than they do on the practice field. I think that can translate to combine stats as well.

Archived