[Schefter] Saints working out free agent WR Antonio Brown

Canadian Saint

54 minutes ago, Dome said:

it won't work out, but there's really no reason not to try unless you just morally object to having an insane person play for us.

That's literally the only, and best, reason to say no to signing him.  But just bringing him in to workout, regardless of whether or not you sign him, is never a bad idea.  I think there are very few, if any, players I wouldn't be willing to bring in just for a workout and see if they could improve the team.

I don't think they'd let him wreck the team, but I'm not sure we need to be messing with the offensive chemistry at this time.  Offense isn't the problem.  But I suppose if nothing else, AB is a decoy you just can't ignore, and so is Thomas, so it has the potential to bust this offense wide open.

If the plan is to screw with the league and they don't even intend to play him this year, well that's one thing, and I don't really care what they do.

Morally, I have no objections with giving him another chance, with the stipulation that there is a zero tolerance policy for his nonsense. 

And I maybe would include into a contract that he has to delete his twitter account, preferably his facebook also.  And probably would have to smash his phone and avoid all public places that don't include a football field.  Perhaps also have a doctor remove his vocal cords.

• Like 1

one of my favorite players in NFL history. Just an absolute beast. 

But of course, he's a psychopath. I'd love to enter Payton's head to try to figure out the motivation of doing this. Is he just trying to anger the league? I could buy that. Is he slightly concerned about CGM's wrist? I could also buy that.

Looks like that if everything goes to plan, we will most likely be playing you guys in the playoffs.  Go ahead and sign Brown so the margin of victory that you have over us is even larger than it would be already.  Call me a sour fan but In serious, sign Brown and beat us 48 - 3. 

Tired of the coaching personnel that we have in place.  Maybe a beating like that will awaken the dead eyes and a change will be made. 

OT: I could see a signing like that making the Saints offense nearly unstoppable.  They already are in some ways.  Assuming Brown doesn’t speak, visit public places and/or use his phone.  

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I don't think they'd let him wreck the team, but I'm not sure we need to be messing with the offensive chemistry at this time.  Offense isn't the problem.  But I suppose if nothing else, AB is a decoy you just can't ignore, and so is Thomas, so it has the potential to bust this offense wide open.

If the plan is to screw with the league and they don't even intend to play him this year, well that's one thing, and I don't really care what they do.

Morally, I have no objections with giving him another chance, with the stipulation that there is a zero tolerance policy for his nonsense. 

And I maybe would include into a contract that he has to delete his twitter account, preferably his facebook also.  And probably would have to smash his phone and avoid all public places that don't include a football field.  Perhaps also have a doctor remove his vocal cords.

If CGM suffers a setback with the wrist...we are toast. I still believe that AB is one of the 5 most talented WR's in the NFL. The guy makes this offense one of the most potent offenses in NFL history (assuming that the OL gets healthy). I'm not that worried about chemistry on the field...AB has always found a way to keep his stuff together on the field, and though he is crazy, I think that he'd find a way to make it work on the football field. He's a PR nightmare and he will probably find a way to embarrass the franchise off the field, but at some point...the talent is worth the risk...assuming he does look like a complete psychopath in interviews.

2 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Looks like that if everything goes to plan, we will most likely be playing you guys in the playoffs.  Go ahead and sign Brown so the margin of victory that you have over us is even larger than it would be already.  Call me a sour fan but In serious, sign Brown and beat us 48 - 3. 

Tired of the coaching personnel that we have in place.  Maybe a beating like that will awaken the dead eyes and a change will be made. 

OT: I could see a signing like that making the Saints offense nearly unstoppable.  They already are in some ways.  Assuming Brown doesn’t speak, visit public places and/or use his phone.  

No, you don't get to reverse jinx us.

The Vikings are primed to go on a historical run this year.

To my knowledge, Antonio Brown hasn't been charged with anything, correct? Simply accused, right?

If the charges go unfounded, and the league allows him to play, then the Saints are primed to pull the trigger, and have him in NOLA that day.

Brees + Thomas, Kamara, T. Hill, Cook ......Brown........ WOW!!!

Can AB play Corner?

This is a tough one for me. This is kind of like the Raptors trading DeRozan for 1 year of Kawhi. It feels like we are going all in. Obviously we aren't trading anyone, but his attitude and mentality can have that affect on this team culture.  Just don't know.   I'm a bitter fantasy football AB owner though, so there's that.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ckoz24 said:

This is a tough one for me. This is kind of like the Raptors trading DeRozan for 1 year of Kawhi. It feels like we are going all in. Obviously we aren't trading anyone, but his attitude and mentality can have that affect on this team culture.  Just don't know.   I'm a bitter fantasy football AB owner though, so there's that.

I think AB has a slim to none chance of negatively impacting the locker room. He might make some folks look stupid (like the team leadership) but he doesn’t have the pull to bring the locker room down. 

24 minutes ago, Dome said:

I think AB has a slim to none chance of negatively impacting the locker room. He might make some folks look stupid (like the team leadership) but he doesn’t have the pull to bring the locker room down. 

He can be an enormous distraction, as three teams have recently learned. It's definitely a risk. The upside is huge. You can't double team Thomas and Brown...and if you attempt to, Kamara and Cook will feast. The only hope that opposing defenses would have is to immediate pressure on Brees...who does a really good job of handling the blitz. 

57 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I don't know how to feel.

This x100

Can't stand AB as a human being. As a football player, well his merits speak for themselves.

I'd love to see Brees go out on top with 1 more ring....but this feels almost worse than selling your soul to the devil

Anyone catch this: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868727-schefter-antonio-brown-blew-away-the-saints-in-workout-no-wants-to-sign-wr

"The Saints worked out Antonio Brown on Friday, and he caught every single thing that was thrown to him. He blew away the Saints in the workout, we knew he would.

"The issue is the NFL. The Saints would like to sign Antonio Brown, but they're waiting for the NFL to issue a ruling, and there's been no clarity from the NFL as to when the league might make a ruling on the sexual assault allegations that were levied against Antonio Brown in the NFL's active investigation.

"So as long as the investigation is ongoing, the Saints can't do anything, but they would be interested in signing him, if only he were free."

Might be something to keep an eye out for in the offseason.