GDT Game 16: The Raiders at Home! Nuff said.

AKRNA

7 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

That's more than early enough to land a couple of starting caliber linemen. If we can fix the line, grab a speedy ILB, a legit speed receiver, and get some depth on the interior D-line, we will be a much different team next year. 

AJ Brown was the 51st pick. Chauncey Gardner Johnson was a fourth round pick. Good players can be found all over

Shoot, if the refs didn't hand the Bears and Colts those earlier games, they would have been in the playoffs.  Not a bad year if you think about how bad the Broncos were last year.  Next season you get Chubb back; $90MM+ in cap space; and 12 draft picks.  Plus, maybe, and I think the jury is still out, but maybe the Broncos found a QB? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Shoot, if the refs didn't hand the Bears and Colts those earlier games, they would have been in the playoffs.  Not a bad year if you think about how bad the Broncos were last year.  Next season you get Chubb back; $90MM+ in cap space; and 12 draft picks.  Plus, maybe, and I think the jury is still out, but maybe the Broncos found a QB? 

Denver still has a lot of missing pieces to be in the SB discussion.. but the difference between 7-9 and 10-6 came down to 3 plays this season. Literally. And yes, considering he went 4-1 with one of the worst lines in football, I’d say Lock has a pretty good shot at being the guy we’ve all been waiting for. That said, I’m still tempering my enthusiasm slightly. Love that we closed out the season with a 4-1 record. But 3 of those teams were lousy this year, and I think Houston was a trap game that we took advantage of. The real test was the game against the Chiefs. And unfortunately, that game highlighted the real gap between where we are now, and where we need to be before we can call ourselves contenders again.

I will say this though: Scangs and Fangio squeezed every last drop of effort they could out of a team that was woefully outgunned this season. And for that, they should be commended. If Denver can build a top 10 O-line this offseason, and address a few glaring holes on our defense.. Look out in 2020. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Griff254 said:

Wouldn’t mind us washing Royce Freeman to the third back spot, finally booting booker and finding a new rb to compliment Lindsay. 

I think Freeman has been dealing with some nagging injuries over the last half of the season. Just a gut feeling. He’s also the type of back that needs good running lanes to move through. He doesn’t have the speed to create his own openings, nor does he have the power to push the pile. If we can fix the line, I think you’ll see his production go up considerably. 

7 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I think Freeman has been dealing with some nagging injuries over the last half of the season. Just a gut feeling. He’s also the type of back that needs good running lanes to move through. He doesn’t have the speed to create his own openings, nor does he have the power to push the pile. If we can fix the line, I think you’ll see his production go up considerably. 

Hopefully! I guess my expectations for him were different than what he can be. I didn’t watch him at Oregon. I watched his draft hype tape when we picked him and assumed he was going to be a hard bruiser back that could break a tackle or two. I feel like I’m watching Montee Ball all over again

Edited by Griff254

45 minutes ago, Griff254 said:

Hopefully! I guess my expectations for him were different than what he can be. I didn’t watch him at Oregon. I watched his draft hype tape when we picked him and assumed he was going to be a hard bruiser back that could break a tackle or two. I feel like I’m watching Montee Ball all over again

He’s listed at 5’11” 234 lbs. But I’ve met him in real life. I’m being generous when I say he’s more like 5’10” 220. I’m 5’11” and a very put together 205, and there’s zero % chance he had 30 pounds on me. He IS a fast, strong guy who will definitely break some one on one tackles, but he’s not a pile mover. I’d liken him to more of a D’angelo Williams type.  

The game was a microcosm of the season:

-Young guys played great.

-OL still has issues.   Re: Bolles, you can't deny the skills - but you can always see the steps forward - and steps back.  And the thing is, there's literally zero excuse.   That last play should NEVER happen.  It's selfish, stupid, and completely unacceptable.  That's a rookie mistake - and one a rookie in his first half-season makes.  That is not a mistake a 3rd-year vet on Week 17 makes.  

I'm all for overall BPA, and if the top 3 T's are gone by Rd1, then unless a guy shows more, don't reach.  On the other hand, if 1 of the 3 T's is there, by all means, fix the issue.  Whether it's James' health or Bolles knuckleheadness - there is no way DEN shouldn't hit T if 1 of the big 3 are there.

-On the D side, that 2Q GL stand shows the promise we have in the future - in the first 8 games, we wouldn't have held up.   It did help that RT Brown wasn't there, along with Jacobs, but you gotta give the D full credit.

-One huge area we still need to address - an alpha cover ILB.   Today showed in a spades that teams can attack our ILB's in pass coverage.   We need to be better.   Obviously missing Kareem Jackson also hurt us, but we can't go in next year thinking Todd Davis and Alexaneder Johnson are enough.  Both capable run stuffers, and Johnson instincts help him in pass pro - but teams can attack us there, and we can't rely on Kareem Jackson making up for our ILB weaknesses.    We can get that on Day 2, but it will be a priority in 1 of our first 4 picks.

-Back to the coaching - I loved that the D was ready for most everything Gruden had planned (except for the TE weakness).

-Re: Lock, really nothing new to discuss.   He showed he can't carry the team by himself at this stage - that's OK.   He will need to be better next year, but for year 1, his progress is more than enough.    If he doesn't progress next year, then we've got a problem, but the progress made so far would suggest that's far less likely than it seemed just 5-6 weeks ago.   

I won't lie, if we had the 10 or 11 pick, I know that we'd have 1 of the top 3 T's, as it is, picking just behind TAM, who has 2 turnstile T's, I'm not so sure.   So long-term I'd rather have taken the L.   But it's also not something I'm going to lose sleep over (well, not until Draft Day nears lol).  

Don't get me wrong - we still have a TON of work to catch KC, and become a legit playoff contender.  With a 2nd place schedule (facing BUF/PIT with Big Ben back and a full year of Minkah on that D, and guys healthy instead of NYJ/CLE in disarray), and facing a tough AFCS, unless we fill our WR2 and upgrade our T & IOL play, we're likely stuck in mediocrity for 1+ more season, even if Lock shows he's our guy long-term.  But honestly, mediocrity is about 100x better than what we looked like this time last year - 2+ years was the EARLIEST rebuild timeframe possible, with no obvious QBOTF in sight.   So it's good to end the year with hope.   It's been a while in coming.

• Like 2

Yiadom’s unsportmanlike foul was also moronic. A 2nd and Goal at the 6 (necessitated by the spike) turns into 1st and Goal at the 3. I’d imagine there’s a fairly big uptick in touchdown probability there, all because Yiadom somehow needed to take his helmet off to whine to the refs.

I do have to give props to DaeSean Hamilton, who I was ready to move on from. Right now he’s doing exactly what you hoped he’d become. Still need that dynamic speed guy but if this is what we can expect from DaeSean going forward, that’s a nice complimentary piece to your passing attack. Also a willing blocker. 

It really struck me just how well Drew throws the football. He can casually make incredible throws off terrible platforms. It’s just more fun having a QB with a cannon:

• Like 2

Like others have eluded to, there are plenty of good players to choose in the draft. That's what our FO get paid to do.

Looked like Jake Rodgers really struggled today against Crosby, who looks a hell of a player (4th round rookie for those moaning about losing out on 5 draft places).

I too was chief driver of the Desean Hamilton is awful train. Seems Lock really likes him and it was good to see him sitting in holes of zone coverage; that was what his draft profile said he had the instincts to do.

Love Lock's pocket feel for the most part but he left to early at times today. Soon as you drift towards the sideline, you lose half the field to throw to. He will learn but it's hard to blame him when he's got outside pressure almost immediately.

Also agree re: a cover ILB - simply not enough speed out there. Certainly need CB help for sure.

I think this team is trending upwards yet we are still some way off and Elway has to nail his free agency and draft. A lot to be excited for and we somehow came 2nd in the division ...

• Like 2

@Broncofan you keep saying 3 T, who are your 3? Thomas is far and away the best, and honestly is the only top 15 OT I have in the class at this point. 

most people like Wirfs as the 2nd guy based off of his insane tools and Iowa pedigree, but everytime I watched him he reminded me of Bolles with his meathead plays. I have Austin Jackson and Alex leatherwood in that same group of Raw LT prospects with great tools with Wirfs. 

If you’re looking at RT only guys Jedrick Wills is one of 3 instant start OL guys i see in this class (with Thomas and Biadasz), and the massive Mekhi Becton looks to be a great RT for a long time as well. 

Then there is the wild card. Trey Adams looked like a top 5 pick 3 years ago before injuries derailed him. He stayed healthy all season so I could see a team taking him earlier than many are projecting.

My point is I don’t personally have a big fall off after 3. I see a big fall after 1 then a lot of really good players. For the Broncos James’ contract makes picking an RT without positional flexibility like wills or Becton less likely unless they think James can play LT.

i want us to go OL with at least 2 of our (currently 5) top 100 picks, but if it’s not the first round I’m ok with that. I want BPA 1st round, this team has too many replacement level players in starting roles to do otherwise.

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

@Broncofan you keep saying 3 T, who are your 3? Thomas is far and away the best, and honestly is the only top 15 OT I have in the class at this point. 

most people like Wirfs as the 2nd guy based off of his insane tools and Iowa pedigree, but everytime I watched him he reminded me of Bolles with his meathead plays. I have Austin Jackson and Alex leatherwood in that same group of Raw LT prospects with great tools with Wirfs. 

If you’re looking at RT only guys Jedrick Wills is one of 3 instant start OL guys i see in this class (with Thomas and Biadasz), and the massive Mekhi Becton looks to be a great RT for a long time as well. 

Then there is the wild card. Trey Adams looked like a top 5 pick 3 years ago before injuries derailed him. He stayed healthy all season so I could see a team taking him earlier than many are projecting.

My point is I don’t personally have a big fall off after 3. I see a big fall after 1 then a lot of really good players. For the Broncos James’ contract makes picking an RT without positional flexibility like wills or Becton less likely unless they think James can play LT.

i want us to go OL with at least 2 of our (currently 5) top 100 picks, but if it’s not the first round I’m ok with that. I want BPA 1st round, this team has too many replacement level players in starting roles to do otherwise.

Agreed UK.

One OL prospect I do like is Alaric Jackson from Iowa. I also love Biadasz, so that would be a coup to get them both in Rounds 2/3 or something.

• Like 1

Wirfs is an absolute stud all he does is dominate in the 2 games I was able to catch this year.  I haven’t watched Wills yet, was only able to catch a ‘Bama game earlier in the season before he started getting attention, but PFF and especially Dane Bruglar are all over him as the top OT (and top 5 pick) in the draft.

Man, just don’t see the Biadasz love.  Not that I dislike him, but I think he’s a borderline top 50 pick. 

Edited by germ-x

20 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Man, just don’t see the Biadasz love.  Not that I dislike him, but I think he’s a borderline top 50 pick. 

He has great feet, great hand placement, great instincts. His strength is the run game where he blows holes in the DL (in one on ones and against double teams) and is the rare OC who I’ve seen pull. He blocks just as well on the second level.

in pass pro he anchors well and wins his one on ones, and his instincts and smarts allow him to handle stunts and shifts like a boss. 

he just reminds me so much of Fredrickson and pouncey. I truly believe he will be a top 5 OC by the end of his rookie season.

what about his game gives you pause? His arms are a bit short but he works in a phone booth so it shouldn’t be an issue.

honestly my biggest fear is that Kansas City takes him and we have to face him 2x a year for the next 15 years 

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk