GDT Game 16: The Raiders at Home! Nuff said.

AKRNA

17 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

The sad part is he’s going to stick around because there is no one better. 30/32 teams arguably have a bottom 10 OL. Line play is just SOOO bad right now.

Combination of spread offenses dominating college and the CBA limiting the amount of actual practice the OL can get (walk through and 7on7 does nothing for the development of the line). 

Broncos fans boo Bolles, but he’s an upgrade for at least a dozen teams. 

Thats a great take.

Also in preseason the starting OL usually plays about one game of snaps together. Basically impossible to develop any chemistry until 4-5 games into the season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 1234567 said:

He’s listed at 5’11” 234 lbs. But I’ve met him in real life. I’m being generous when I say he’s more like 5’10” 220. I’m 5’11” and a very put together 205, and there’s zero % chance he had 30 pounds on me. He IS a fast, strong guy who will definitely break some one on one tackles, but he’s not a pile mover. I’d liken him to more of a D’angelo Williams type.  

Ok, sweet! Well hopefully an offseason to get healthy and an opportunity to upgrade our line gives him more opportunity to make some plays next year!

19 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So guys, I'd really like a bit of info on Bolles penalty, basically, what he did and who he did it to.

A couple of the Oakland guys (one looked like a linebacker) jumped on him after the play was over. They were all kind of laying on the ground and he got dog piled. Bolles got up and kind of one hand shoved him. Considering how chippy the game was, I was kind of surprised it drew a flag. BUT: given the situation, he should have known better. 

54 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

A couple of the Oakland guys (one looked like a linebacker) jumped on him after the play was over. They were all kind of laying on the ground and he got dog piled. Bolles got up and kind of one hand shoved him. Considering how chippy the game was, I was kind of surprised it drew a flag. BUT: given the situation, he should have known better. 

Because of his reputation, he’s going to draw that penalty the way another guy might not. Same with the holds; if he has his hands outside a DE’s pads on a run play that goes right past his block, and goes for a long gain, he will get flagged while another wouldn’t. That’s where coaching is needed, Bolles is athletic enough to just get in a guy’s way on some plays for the result to be positive, not every block has to result in a pancake. 

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Because of his reputation, he’s going to draw that penalty the way another guy might not. Same with the holds; if he has his hands outside a DE’s pads on a run play that goes right past his block, and goes for a long gain, he will get flagged while another wouldn’t. That’s where coaching is needed, Bolles is athletic enough to just get in a guy’s way on some plays for the result to be positive, not every block has to result in a pancake. 

Good points. It'll take another season of clean play to get his rep behind him. Quite a hole he dug.

That said, Munchak and Kuper have done a great job with him this season, Risner too. Those two right now make up a top 10 left side. Just wait'll next year. (A Bronco's mantra I learned in the 60's9_9)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

He has great feet, great hand placement, great instincts. His strength is the run game where he blows holes in the DL (in one on ones and against double teams) and is the rare OC who I’ve seen pull. He blocks just as well on the second level.

in pass pro he anchors well and wins his one on ones, and his instincts and smarts allow him to handle stunts and shifts like a boss. 

he just reminds me so much of Fredrickson and pouncey. I truly believe he will be a top 5 OC by the end of his rookie season.

what about his game gives you pause? His arms are a bit short but he works in a phone booth so it shouldn’t be an issue.

honestly my biggest fear is that Kansas City takes him and we have to face him 2x a year for the next 15 years 

I think he’s a good technician with the strength to hold up vs power rushers.  I also think he’s smart and experienced.  He’s going to be a long time starter in the NFL, so don’t get me wrong here that I think he’s trash.  

I question his athleticism.  He struggled vs Ohio States defensive talent.  I don’t see him being a quality player to pull with his lack of foot speed.  I also don’t like all the sloppy weight he put on while at Wisconsin.  He came as a 270 pounder, he’s reportedly 320+ (added 50 pounds in 4 years and don’t really see the need for him to be at 320 in the first place) and looks like he got there by going belly up at the bar and eating cheese curds.  He also does look like he has short arms and his only starting experience is at OC, so he doesn’t project to have versatility if he happens not to work at OC.  While it was reported that he was the best IOL in last years drafts by draftniks, he was told by the draft advisory board to return to school leading one to believe he wasn’t as highly thought of as initially believed.  He returned to school and has performed worse than he did last season according to most.  

Again don’t get me wrong, he’s a starter, but I don’t see special.  I think Risner was definitely a better prospect last season and with this a weaker IOL draft Biadasz probably gets over drafted.  

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Some notes from the end-of-year presser:

1. All coordinators expected to be back (we'll see on McMahon)
2. They'll look into reworking Phillip Lindsay's contract
3. They'll pick up Von's option
4. "Not sure" on CHJ but they want Simmons back)
5. They feel like they've finally gotten the locker room right again
6. "Don't see another option" but Drew being the guy next year

1. McMahon needs to be replaced, have him take Wadman with him, ST's were our achilles this year

2. Agree he deserves a new contract but I don't want to overpay him as a superstar, RB's shelf lives usually outlive their production

3. Von should be a Bronco for life but if he wants CHJ here (as he stated) think he should be approached about a restructure.

4 . Simmons in a no-brainer, a top producer this year. CHJ's leaked offer is about right if front-loaded and see above with Von

5. I agree, Vic has them believing, hope the chemistry continues to build

6. Strange wording, perhaps to just reassure Lock although it doesn't seem necessary, Lock is confident