2010s All-Decade Team?

BlaqOptic

1 minute ago, RamblinMan99 said:

The problem is that you have a lot of guys that basically overlapped between both decades.  

Not just Peppers, but guys like Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. 

Because these guys have been playing for so long, they are capable of stealing the spotlight from other players who might have only strictly played in the current decade.  

Huh?

1. I don't see how that is relevant to whether age should be considered
        a. And if it does that would council against giving players a boost from doing well for their age, not for it
2. You are only supposed to consider what they did this decade
3. An all-decade team isn't the be all end all. Sometimes great players straddle in a way that they weren't the best in either decade.

14 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Not arguing about either Watt or Miller, but I would include James Harrison with them.  He was still playing at an extremely high level for his age well into the later half of the past decade.  

Harrison started for 16 games once this decade (2010) and recorded 10 or more sacks again only once this decade (2010). From 2011-2013 he started 11, 13, and 10 games, recording 9, 6, and 2 sacks. From 2014-2017 he started a total of 12 games (out of a possible 64) and maxed out at 5.5 sacks in 2014 (recording 20.5 over the course of those 4 seasons). He then retired, missing the past two seasons.

Harrison’s sack totals this decade are less than Everson Griffen (by a lot), Danielle Hunter (in 5 seasons), Demarcus Ware (in one less season), Khalil Mack (in 6 seasons), Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones (only as a Cardinal), Elvis Dumervil, Terrell Suggs, Cam Jordan, the list goes on.

Sacks aren’t the only thing that matter...but they matter. Don’t see an argument for James in this decade. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Haloti Ngata was as dominant as any IDL in the NFL during his prime, and so yeah I'd take him over Geno. Not a shot against Geno, just kind of speaks to how massively underrated Ngata was/is.

I agree that Ngata was dominant but it straddled decades. He was only his dominant self for the first 3 maybe 4 years of this decade.

I'd take Ngata on an all time list over Atkins no question. But for the 2010 all decade team I think its Atkins by a reasonable margin

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So 3 great years gets you on the All-Decade team now? 

I don't know. Those five words are literally all I contributed to this thread. Prime Gurley was a three-season deal and we've had flashes in the other two seasons. He's always been one of the best when it comes to scoring, as well.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

I agree that Ngata was dominant but it straddled decades. He was only his dominant self for the first 3 maybe 4 years of this decade.

I'd take Ngata on an all time list over Atkins no question. But for the 2010 all decade team I think its Atkins by a reasonable margin

Yeah you know what, I think this is a fair take. I forgot that most of his dominance was pre-2010.

• Like 2

Just now, HoboRocket said:

I don't know. Those five words are literally all I contributed to this thread. Prime Gurley was a three-season deal and we've had flashes in the other two seasons. He's always been one of the best when it comes to scoring, as well.

But is that better than what both Lesean McCoy (who has the most rushing yards of anyone, by far, in the 2010's) or Adrian Peterson have contributed? I don't think so. It's not even close, IMO.

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Harrison started for 16 games once this decade (2010) and recorded 10 or more sacks again only once this decade (2010). From 2011-2013 he started 11, 13, and 10 games, recording 9, 6, and 2 sacks. From 2014-2017 he started a total of 12 games (out of a possible 64) and maxed out at 5.5 sacks in 2014 (recording 20.5 over the course of those 4 seasons). He then retired, missing the past two seasons.

Harrison’s sack totals this decade are less than Everson Griffen (by a lot), Danielle Hunter (in 5 seasons), Demarcus Ware (in one less season), Khalil Mack (in 6 seasons), Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones (only as a Cardinal), Elvis Dumervil, Terrell Suggs, Cam Jordan, the list goes on.

Sacks aren’t the only thing that matter...but they matter. Don’t see an argument for James in this decade. 

He missed so many games because Tomlin wasn't putting him in the game, and it was a terrible coaching move on his part.  

The national consensus was that James Harrison still had the ability to play, but Tomlin didn't listen.  

Harrison left and New England picked him up immediately.  

He would have been just as good as those guys if he would've had the playing time.  

18 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Ngata was a major contributor to Baltimore's dominant defense in 2012 when they won the Super Bowl .    

He closed up the middle of the line and was frequently double teamed.  

Atkins is a good player on a terrible team, and that's why he didn't have nearly the same impact.  

Yeah, sorry. I'm not buying this at all. Atkins stats and accolades speak for themselves. He was Aaron Donald before Aaron Donald was a thing. He was easily the most dominant 3-tech at his peak and arguably the most dominant 3-tech of the last decade (not including Donald). He leads the NFL in DT sacks during that span.

6 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

He missed so many games because Tomlin wasn't putting him in the game, and it was a terrible coaching move on his part.  

The national consensus was that James Harrison still had the ability to play, but Tomlin didn't listen.  

Harrison left and New England picked him up immediately.  

He would have been just as good as those guys if he would've had the playing time.  

You don’t get style points for sitting on the bench. Whether he got jobbed or not, there were a lot of other players that got on the field and produced. It doesn’t need to be fair, it just needs to be accurate, and to call James a top-anything of the 2010s is inaccurate.

He’s not even a top-10 edge of the decade.