Week 17 GDT: New Orleans Saints (12-3) vs. Carolina Panthers (5-10) - Beginning of the end

Canadian Saint

Ah the end of the regular season. There are currently 3 sets of fans. 1. Fans planning for the draft. 2. Fans looking every conceivable way to make the playoffs and 3. Fans looking forward to the playoffs and match ups. For this fan base, we're #3. For me personally, I'm looking for two things to happen. 1. Win - finishing with a 13-3 record after losing Brees for 5 weeks is a great representation of how this fought through adversity and 2. Get out of the game healthy.

Coaches corner:

- S Marcus Williams, S Vonn Bell and CB Eli Apple are all out. LB Alonso and FB Line are LP. Everyone else was full.

- The good news, O-line should be going into game 16 with a clean bill of health. I expect to see Peat play the entire game, I wouldn't be surprised if we took Armstead and Warford out if we're up by a reasonable amount in the 4th quarter.

- Who the heck plays in the secondary? Jenkins takes boundary CB, P. Rob takes slot CB, PJ at FS and CGJ at SS?

- Panthers season is over and they are practicing for next season. I expect us to play hard and fast, try go up early and give reps to Murray, Ginn, Tre'Quan Smith and Antonio Brown to get them in rhythm (jk about Brown). Let MT get some catches and rest him in the 4th.

- Panthers will be without standout WR DJ Moore and LB Shaq Thompson. I'm surprised they aren't resting CMC, after his usage this season, I thought they'd save the wear and tear.

- I also wouldn't be surprised to see Taysom get a healthy dose of plays this game. Basically a trial run for options in the playoffs.

- Defensively, again if we're up by a fair number in the 4th, I wouldn't be opposed to resting Cam/Trey and letting guys like Noah Spence and Carl Granderson have some serious reps for the playoffs.

- For our playoff seeding, we need for the Seahawks and Lions to win. Both need to win for us to get the #1 seed, either one need to win for us to get #2 seed. Thanks for nothing Vikings, please continue being irrelevant.

Geaux Saints. Finish the regular season strong and by god, please finish it healthy. Hopefully we have a BYE week to recover and prepare.

• Like 1

All of this. I'm guessing you're right on target with the secondary.

As you mentioned, I'll be curious as to how much, and how they use CMC. Of course, they don't want to risk an injury that could set him back for next season, but they also want to knock of the Saints just because.

I suspect we're going to get a good battle from the Panthers, but I don't think they can keep up with us unless we pull out our Week 10 vs. Atlanta playbook.

22 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I reckon Shead could be back soon, but Humphrey is interesting. I know Hogan went to IR, maybe Humphrey gets some reps.

So they decided to bring up Humphrey rather than sign a guy they brought in for workouts?  Or perhaps its still on the menu to sign someone.