Ravens extend CB Marcus Peters (3 years, $42M, $32M GTD)

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Leo is right. Wade changed his scheme to make it work for Peters. It's why we dumped him. Changing the scheme to compensate for Peters' issues was hurting the team defense. He was such a disaster when we played M2M that we had to go to a zone-heavy scheme. It worked when Talib was there to hold Peters accountable. But even when it was working, Peters' refusal to tackle cost us repeatedly. And our complaints about Peters are the same complaints that Chiefs fans had when they traded him.

I don't love to hate him. I actually wish things had worked out. Myself and others don't like him for good reason. He takes too many plays off and/or freelances and hurts the team.

This is true for the tackling, but not for the man coverage. Sutton was notorious for running an almost 100% man scheme on defense when Peters was here, and Peters excelled in it in coverage. Did a little bit of cover 3 more as Sutton's tenure went on, to make reading the cover 1 man tougher, but a lot of that was after Peters left. And that's still borderline man in terms of responsibilities for a boundary corner half the time anyway.

The complaints that Peters couldn't play man coverage have never made sense to me from the start. That's where he made his name.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This is true for the tackling, but not for the man coverage. Sutton was notorious for running an almost 100% man scheme on defense when Peters was here, and Peters excelled in it in coverage. Did a little bit of cover 3 more as Sutton's tenure went on, to make reading the cover 1 man tougher, but a lot of that was after Peters left. And that's still borderline man in terms of responsibilities for a boundary corner half the time anyway.

The complaints that Peters couldn't play man coverage have never made sense to me from the start. That's where he made his name.

Yea, Baltimore's primary scheme is blitz-heavy man coverage. 

I think the idea that Baltimore's locker room or w/e getting more out of him is a bit much, but I've always seen Peters as a very talented player.

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He was awful in press man coverage. Absolutely awful. 

21 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

That's not what you said. Wade TRIED to fit Peters in by changing what he wanted to do. He didn't fit the preferred defense or the secondary one. 

Eh?!

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think he was misused in LA

I’m of the mindset that Peters flourishes in a niche role that allows him to be himself in terms of baiting/challenging the offense. I’m not sure he was in that position with the Rams. 

Not word for word, but basically saying he was a bad fit there. It’s not like Peters was a rookie with a developing game - we knew what kind of player he was. He didn’t mesh in Phillips’ defense. Asking a player to do something he isn’t good at and then getting on the player for it, isn’t what good coaches do. 

EDIT: Not that that’s what Philips did (get on Peters for his game). But blaming Peters for failing in a spot where he wasn’t in position to succeed is essentially the same.

Edited by Yin-Yang

16 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Eh?!

Not word for word, but basically saying he was a bad fit there. It’s not like Peters was a rookie with a developing game - we knew what kind of player he was. He didn’t mesh in Phillips’ defense. Asking a player to do something he isn’t good at and then getting on the player for it, isn’t what good coaches do. 

EDIT: Not that that’s what Philips did (get on Peters for his game). But blaming Peters for failing in a spot where he wasn’t in position to succeed is essentially the same.

He was put in a position to do that. That's what we're trying to tell you. Wade changed the scheme to allow that. Marcus still had no interest in tackling or playing intelligent defense.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Leo is right. Wade changed his scheme to make it work for Peters. It's why we dumped him. Changing the scheme to compensate for Peters' issues was hurting the team defense. He was such a disaster when we played M2M that we had to go to a zone-heavy scheme. It worked when Talib was there to hold Peters accountable. But even when it was working, Peters' refusal to tackle cost us repeatedly. And our complaints about Peters are the same complaints that Chiefs fans had when they traded him.

I don't love to hate him. I actually wish things had worked out. Myself and others don't like him for good reason. He takes too many plays off and/or freelances and hurts the team.

So what you're saying is he's the Wade Phillips of CB's?

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You just handed him a 3 year $42 million deal that is largely guaranteed. And LOL at the bold. L-O-L.

Eh we can get out of it in 2 years and even then he's worth the gamble on a 3 year contract.

Andy Reid while a fantastic coach has had issues, Sean McVay while a solid coach look no further than your current record as to the average you can expect in future years. 

Harbaugh is probably right up there with Bellicheck for managing Diva personalities. 

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Eh we can get out of it in 2 years and even then he's worth the gamble on a 3 year contract.

Andy Reid while a fantastic coach has had issues, Sean McVay while a solid coach look no further than your current record as to the average you can expect in future years

Harbaugh is probably right up there with Bellicheck for managing Diva personalities. 

What a stupid opinion. xD

No idea why he was so bad as a Ram but as a Raven, he's worth every penny! Scheme, Coaching , Change of scenery whatever the switch was, Worked!

Now the only thing the Ravens have to concern themselves with is complacency,  because he "Has His Money"!! No different though with any other Diva getting paid.

Ravens were smart to lock him up.

23 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

That’s the thing though, I think he was misused in LA. Peters was a turnover machine in KC, albeit he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way and had shown to be lazy with his tackling. He goes to LA, plays through some injuries, and has a down year despite playing on a defense that certainly had talent. Then he goes to Baltimore and in a limited capacity, looks the best he ever has. We all know Phillips has a scheme that he pretty much abides by, I think he deserves the most blame on the bad outings in LA. 

I’m of the mindset that Peters flourishes in a niche role that allows him to be himself in terms of baiting/challenging the offense. I’m not sure he was in that position with the Rams. We’ll see how it goes, although it’s worth mentioning that $20M or so of this contract is in 2020, so it should be easy to bail from even if Peters bombs.

So we're just going to ignore the fact that now that Peters is in a position again where he doesn't have to be "the guy" (because, you know, Marlon Humphrey is actually a quality CB1) that he's afforded to opportunity to flourish in his capacity as a complementary guy (or is that the niche you were referring to)?

Peters is Antonio Cromartie.  Good complementary guy, but always going to need that highly-dependable (doesn't have to be great, but consistent enough to be the guy regularly drawing the opposition's WR1) CB1 opposite him in order to be worth his scratch.  He's a good fit for the Ravens.  A shade overpaid probably, but on the short term it's still a good deal for them because it will free up the cap space around the time they need a Lamar extension to kick in.

Wade wasn't really misusing him; Peters could hack it as a CB1 once Talib couldn't stay on the field.  He was getting those flashy INT's for the Rams too when Talib was actually there opposite him and he didn't have to concern himself with being made the redheaded stepchild by guys like Michael Thomas.

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

So we're just going to ignore the fact that now that Peters is in a position again where he doesn't have to be "the guy" (because, you know, Marlon Humphrey is actually a quality CB1) that he's afforded to opportunity to flourish in his capacity as a complementary guy (or is that the niche you were referring to)?

Ignore? Negative. Playing with Humphrey and Thomas probably helps a lot.

Who was the #1 CB in KC when Peters has 19 interceptions in 3 seasons? 

Peters is Antonio Cromartie.  Good complementary guy, but always going to need that highly-dependable (doesn't have to be great, but consistent enough to be the guy regularly drawing the opposition's WR1) CB1 opposite him in order to be worth his scratch.  He's a good fit for the Ravens.  A shade overpaid probably, but on the short term it's still a good deal for them because it will free up the cap space around the time they need a Lamar extension to kick in.

KC again, he wasn’t just a quality #2 there. 

Wade wasn't really misusing him; Peters could hack it as a CB1 once Talib couldn't stay on the field.  He was getting those flashy INT's for the Rams too when Talib was actually there opposite him and he didn't have to concern himself with being made the redheaded stepchild by guys like Michael Thomas.

Peters had a career low in interceptions for 2018 - 3. He had two with Talib, one without. Of his low 8 pass deflections, half came with Talib and half without. I’m sure Talib’s presence helped him in terms of covering lesser quality receivers, but that’s no reason for his play to drop so badly. 

Peters played at a high level in KC, often acting as a double edged sword with inconsistent effort, but it was working out on the field for the most part. He goes to LA and then his play tanks. He leaves LA, and suddenly is back at his previous level, if not higher.