Who are our core players/building blocks? Whats our depth?

AKRNA

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think Shelby is going to be a case of "good player paid to be great" and will be cut from whatever team he signs with in 2022. I like him but in no way do I think he's irreplaceable. And several media guys have been pretty direct in saying he doesn't want to come back. 

Yeah, he seems like a a Malik Jackson/Julius Thomas type who will get paid big somewhere else and never be the same again--however he was extremely good this season. 

It will be interesting to seee what they do with the DL with Harris/Wolfe. I would rather pay Wolfe because I trust him more to get another 2-3 good years, but his constant injuries are a concern for me. Dre'mont Jones could take a big step next year but I still wouldnt be mad if they added another DT/DE in the draft. What happens with Harris/Wolfe/Jones/Purcell/Draft will be super interesting to see come next year.

I don't see Shelby Harris coming back. Will be like Malik Jackson- he's looking for a payday (rightfully so). I think they'll lowball Wolfe and we'll see whether he accepts it to stay in Denver. Either way, I expect reinforcements on the line. Maybe some guys from Chicago who are cap casualties?

44 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I don't see Shelby Harris coming back. Will be like Malik Jackson- he's looking for a payday (rightfully so). I think they'll lowball Wolfe and we'll see whether he accepts it to stay in Denver. Either way, I expect reinforcements on the line. Maybe some guys from Chicago who are cap casualties?

I'd like to will an Akiem Hicks cut into existence but they can trim the fat in a number of ways without jettisoning maybe their most important defensive player. (Amukamara at corner is a real possibility, though not one that excites me) Still, free agency is pretty loaded with interior DL. They'll want to have that shored up by the draft because there won't be much help there. And rare you get Day 1 contributors there anyway. 

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I know I keep suggesting Browns players but I would love love love for the Broncos to sign Joe Schobert in the offseason. The word is the Browns wont be bringing him back because they are morons but he would be the perfect run/cover LB the Broncos could use next to AJ. He might also solve the constant TE cover problem the Broncos have had since 2005.

Im fully off the Todd Davis bandwagon and view him as extremely average. 

Obviously Schobert's coverage abilities are something to covet, but I'm still not sure the value over replacement player is high enough to justify 12-14 MPY for Schobert, also given it's likely two other positions on defense will require some free agent investment (CB, DE). Denver has already been linked to Schobert so I think it's In play though. 

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Obviously Schobert's coverage abilities are something to covet, but I'm still not sure the value over replacement player is high enough to justify 12-14 MPY for Schobert, also given it's likely two other positions on defense will require some free agent investment (CB, DE). Denver has already been linked to Schobert so I think it's In play though. 

Love Schubert, he was one of my favorite prospects in 2016.  I still like the idea of bringing Trevathan back (the LB Denver should’ve kept).  He knows Fangio’s system and will come cheaper than Schobert.

Another thing to keep in mind is this draft is weak at ILB.  I would love to just get that checked off the list in FA and not put the team in a position to overdraft at that position.  3/4 defensive line is weak as well.  Go out in FA and fill those holes.  

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Love Schubert, he was one of my favorite prospects in 2016.  I still like the idea of bringing Trevathan back (the LB Denver should’ve kept).  He knows Fangio’s system and will come cheaper than Schobert.

Another thing to keep in mind is this draft is weak at ILB.  I would love to just get that checked off the list in FA and not put the team in a position to overdraft at that position.  3/4 defensive line is weak as well.  Go out in FA and fill those holes.  

I think it's possible they just run it back with Davis and add a Day 2-3 guy to develop behind him. Lot of needs on this team and Davis is the kind of high floor player at a good price you can be content with for a while. His athletic limitations aren't as pronounced with as much zone coverage as Fangio's LBs play. I wouldn't say getting the athletic LB is a luxury but you can work around it and not get killed too often. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Right, Schobert was a RB in high school. After watching him each week in the NFL you can tell his strength is being able to run in space because of that. He is similar to Danny T. in that sense that he is not a true Mike but he is more of a hybrid that can either play up the middle or you can put him outside and he can run.

I dont know though. Christian Kirksey is also a FA. Hes battled some injuries especially this year, but when he was on the field he was amazing. Tackling machine who can also cover sideline to sideline. For whatever reason the Browns have great LBs and it looks like they are about to let both Kirksey/Schobert walk in FA in favor of Mack Wilson/Sione Takitaki as their young replacements.

Watching Todd Davis play I would much much much rather have either of those two over him and it would be a Kareem Jackson like massive improvement. Kirksey might come much cheaper than Schobert just because of his injury season so it might be one of those under the radar FA signings that could help a lot.

Edited by AkronsWitness

39 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think it's possible they just run it back with Davis and add a Day 2-3 guy to develop behind him. Lot of needs on this team and Davis is the kind of high floor player at a good price you can be content with for a while. His athletic limitations aren't as pronounced with as much zone coverage as Fangio's LBs play. I wouldn't say getting the athletic LB is a luxury but you can work around it and not get killed too often. 

Definitely makes sense.  We’ll see.  A cover LB has been a huge Achilles heel of this defense since Trevathan left and this team has continually put off legitimately addressing that concern and to be a truly elite defense in the NFL you have to have at least 1 LB that can cover.

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Kirksey would at least come at a significant discount with all the injuries. But then you fall into the familiar trap of relying on injury prone players because you're getting value for them, and that killed them this year. 

True but at the same time you get a really good player at a extreme discount. Again, granted on how average Davis is, Kirksey is one of those that I would easily offer considering he is twice the player Davis is when healthy. Its a gamble, but a gamble worth taking for the price tag

20 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im fully off the Todd Davis bandwagon and view him as extremely average. 

As a two-down thumper he is fine but he shouldn't be on the field in obvious passing situations.

I do know there might be some mutual interest in bringing Danny T back here if the Bears opt to let him walk. 

On 1/2/2020 at 11:12 AM, AnAngryAmerican said:

As a two-down thumper he is fine but he shouldn't be on the field in obvious passing situations.

I do know there might be some mutual interest in bringing Danny T back here if the Bears opt to let him walk. 

If they bring trev back, I’d still like to see them sign Kwiatkoski. He filled in very well for ted this year and though not a superstar would be an upgrade over Davis for a couple years. So we don’t have to teach in a weak ILB draft 

• Like 1