Who are our core players/building blocks? Whats our depth?

AKRNA

10 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I am very worried about how he will approach the game once he gets paid. I would rather sign Cobb to a short term deal. Or kick the tires on Rashard Higgins and draft 2 guys. 

I think Higgins could come extremely cheap and surprise. He got lost in the **** show that was Cleveland this season, but the year before was finally showing out with 39 catches at 15  YPC and 70% completion rate. 

WR get paid handsomely, I would rather get Higgins as a reclamation project on a one year deal than throw 10-13M per season at Anderson. Even Perriman IMO gets close to 10M per season. 

Higgins would make for a far more serviceable 3rd WR than anyone on out roster now.  Phillip Dorsett is another - whose late season fade in NE might actually price him affordably.   Sadly Bret Perriman won’t be cheap.  

We’d still want to hit the draft for our long term Robin to Sutton’s Batman.   But any of those 3 would be fine so long as they didn’t break the bank (Perriman no longer an option because he’s not coming at bargain prices anymore).   

Given Robbie Anderson somehow avoided Gase’s dog house I’d think they will keep him.   Or a team like PHI will pay up.   We aren’t a good fit given Elway won’t reset the FA market.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I think everyone here knows where I stand on bringing Hollywood Higgins in! :D

As far as some of the others, I think Wolfe will be back as he’s already said he’ll take something of a hometown discount to retire a Bronco. Same goes for Simmons, Elway said as much. I think both Harrises are gone. 

Where it gets real interesting is the draft. 12 picks I think turns into 9 players or 8 players an extra pick next year. This team has a real chance to build some depth and set us up for the future if they get it right. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think everyone here knows where I stand on bringing Hollywood Higgins in! :D

As far as some of the others, I think Wolfe will be back as he’s already said he’ll take something of a hometown discount to retire a Bronco. Same goes for Simmons, Elway said as much. I think both Harrises are gone. 

Where it gets real interesting is the draft. 12 picks I think turns into 9 players or 8 players an extra pick next year. This team has a real chance to build some depth and set us up for the future if they get it right. 

The emergence of Lock, IMO, really changes the outlook. With just a couple of additions (starting IOL, gamebreaking WR) the offense would be young, talented and able to grow together under Scangarello.  

Our OL could really be a pleasant surprise. It seems like James plays every other year so he should be good to go next year. Add a solid RG in the draft and let Schlottman/McGovern fight it out for the center job. 

Our TE's will have a solid year under their belts and should be making a sophomore jump. RB by committee would be fine with me with Lindsay as our "scary" back.  

Adding a game breaking WR from the draft would make our WR corp dangerous and deep. 

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them make the plunge in the draft with our top two selections on the offensive side. We'll have to wait and see, but the opportunity is there to solidify this offense for the next few years.

I too really like Higgins. I think that would be an excellent signing. 

It's a long shot, but I am hoping Diontae Spencer works on his craft as a receiver in the offseason. I think he's got a natural feel for the game with the ball in his hands and he has that speed we've sorely missed for quite some time.

We don't necessarily need to be the Chiefs with the amount of speed on the field but we definitely need more.

We don't necessarily need to be the Chiefs with the amount of speed on the field but we definitely need more.

I agree. Higgins brings some of that, and could be had on a prove it, 1 year deal in the 3M range IMO. I just hate spending big on a WR, it rarely works out or contributes to true, long term team building. 

Personally, I have no issues signing a cheap vet like Higgins and waiting until R2 / R3 for a WR.

I think Brandon Aiyuk is just as talented as guys like Hamler, Reagor and Laviska when it comes to vertical threat and YAC. I am not affiliated with this website, but it has great write ups, here is his: https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/brandon-aiyuk/ZsLQCCVH6K

Adding Aiyuk in R2 and Lynn Bowden in R3 would change the dynamic of this offense tremendously, and we would still have our R1 pick to use on BPA at DB, OL, DL or LB (If Simmons somehow is available). I like a trade down too, we dont need more picks but we can then be more aggressive dealing back up in R2/R3. 

• Like 1