Trevor Lawrence vs Joe Burrow

resilient part 2

Trevor Lawrence vs Joe Burrows   

87 members have voted

1. 1. simple , which highly talented QB would you rather draft/build your team around?

On 1/7/2020 at 9:11 PM, mission27 said:

Pats and Steelers are not going to tank... just not something they would do 

Saints cant tank unless Brees retires

Giants aren’t going to give up on Daniel Jones after 1 year

Dolphins aren’t good at tanking as they’ve shown this season 

I guess maybe the Panthers... but they’ll have a new coach who isn’t going to want to tank 

Part of me wants the Chargers to tank for him, but at the same time it required enough bad luck in both injuries and close losses for them to go 5-11 this year.

I could see the Jags maybe tanking for him? Wouldn't rule out the Broncos doing that either. Or the Colts like they did in 2011.

Edited by Bolts223

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

Its a good debate

I think Burrow is safer, I think Lawrence has the higher upside

Give me Lawrence, but Cincinnati will be happy with Burrow

I actually think Lawrence is safer tbh.

Burrow is much more likely to be an injury bust because he runs A  LOT.

Lawrence can move but he doesn't put himself in position to be drilled nearly as much as Burrow does. And with Burrow to be playing behind the Bengals O-line next year it is a bit concerning.

59 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

because he runs A  LOT.

Not really. Especially not compared to Lawrence; Joe had 12 more rushing attempts on the year. 17 more than Mayfield during his Heisman campaign. Regardless, it's not something he has to rely on, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was phased out of his game more once he turns pro. It's not something to worry about.

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

Lawrence can move but he doesn't put himself in position to be drilled nearly as much as Burrow does.

Not going to lie, I never once thought that to be the case when analyzing Joe this past year. He protects himself by sliding and going out of bounds when he has to.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:33 PM, DirtyDez said:

Not sure if anyone’s heard this but Lawrence is 6’6” 220.

You mean like his release would be slow or something? Thats usually the problem with QBs that big. Lawerence doesnt have a fast release but he has good, repeatable mechanics. He does need refinement though, needs to continue to work towards being consistent and polished. 

I know you meant you are tired of hearing about his height and that there are dumb people out there who think being tall somehow makes you a good QB. He isnt good because he is tall. He is good for so many other reasons that get compounded by the fact he has an amazing frame that he is still filling out. The guy is kinda like a nimble, less powerful, faster cam newton (just while rushing the ball).

On 12/30/2019 at 5:04 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Trevor Lawrence looks like a man that transitioned into being a woman. If it weren’t for that jawline, I’d probably try to smash unknowingly. 

I guess you havent heard him talk then. The dude has a super deep voice. Youd think by looking at him that he wouldnt sound so much like a grown man. 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:50 AM, SmittyBacall said:

This is what I love about Burrows the most. There’s just something about his demeanour - and I know I deserve flak for this - that exudes greatness. He’s too poised, calm, and confident.

Brady-esque in Burrows poise and awareness. The guy knows how to read a defense and thats always more important than physical abilities. Burrows is going to be a good one. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, Fureys49ers said:

One looks shook, one looks poised like they’ve been here before with a plot twist 

Neither one of them looks 'shook'. lets not forget that TL beasted in that ohio state game when his team needed him. He battled the whole time during the national championship game this year as well. If that touchdown to Tee Higgins wasnt called back (one of the worst calls this season tbh considering the defender initiated contact and higgins never really played the man but rather the ball in the air) that game might go differently. That would have been down 10 with 8 minutes left. Instead it was 17. The fumble at the end was unfortunate. Unlucky, more like. He learned the hard way to slide sometimes. The guy isnt afraid of contact. Its not that he was 'shook' its just that LSU just made a few more plays. Lets not forget they were winning for a huge chunk of that game. 

He sailed a lot of passes early, and then there was another time he tried to put too much touch while moving left and threw one into the ground. That sort of thing happens sometimes with taller QBs. Again, he needs to be polished up a little bit, just as any 20 year old QB does, but saying he wasnt mentally locked in and was scared of the moment is way off base. 

On 1/13/2020 at 10:09 PM, offbyone said:

One fell off the hype machine back to earth, the other is still on it.

Because his team lost a game to the number 1 team in the nation? I really dont understand the narrative here. that makes no sense

Sure, he didnt play his sharpest game from an accuracy standpoint, but he didnt exactly shy away from the moment either. The dude battled all the way through the game and seemed to take the loss the right way from what I could tell

I like both of these guys better than any QB that I have been evaluating for the 49ers since we have been bad the last few years. Burrows is who Darnold was supposed to be (and clearly isnt). 

I'm an admitted "Stan" for Trevor Lawrence. There are only 5-6 QBs on the planet I'd take over him - Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, etc. I haven't taken a deep dive into it, but these are the locks in this discussion. Kyler Murray and Josh Allen might join the discussion if I really drove into it. Justin Fields could make an appearance on this list. I doubt Joe Burrow get into the talk, but who knows?

I'm not exactly someone who is going to be logical in this discussion. So, take it for what it's worth.

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Because his team lost a game to the number 1 team in the nation? I really dont understand the narrative here. that makes no sense

Sure, he didnt play his sharpest game from an accuracy standpoint, but he didnt exactly shy away from the moment either. The dude battled all the way through the game and seemed to take the loss the right way from what I could tell

I like both of these guys better than any QB that I have been evaluating for the 49ers since we have been bad the last few years. Burrows is who Darnold was supposed to be (and clearly isnt). 

I am just pointing out how quickly perceptions change.  Lawrence was Batman in a football uniform a year ago.  Then he came back to earth a bit this year.  Now he is just Robin. 

Burrow is riding the one year hype machine, deservedly, incredible season.  But I think in reality if he played more his production would normalize downwards.  I think it would still be good, but not what we are seeing.  I think they are both incredible prospects, but you got to be careful getting caught up in the hype when evaluating these guys.  That is all I mean.  I still think they are both top prospects.

• 1 month later...