2020 National Championship | #3 Clemson vs #1 LSU

naptownskinsfan

Who wins the National Championship?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the National Championship?

3 minutes ago, FinSting said:

I really thought LSU would have a letdown after the Oklahoma laugher. Maybe they did a little bit as the 17-7 start from Clemson was impressive but LSU was not to be denied, it was a straight-up thumping from that point forward. Burrow is fire, wow what a QB. 

Lawrence was inaccurate and pressured, but I feel more sorry for #1 jersey guy for Clemson, he was in most all the LSU TD highlights and that's not a good thing for a defensive back. 

AJ Terrell looked probably worse. I’ve seen mock draft that have him going in the first round. That is not how you want to go out. He has another year of eligibility left, you wonder if he reconsiders and comes back another year. 

7 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The last true college football game until August is always bittersweet.

Absolutely. Looking at my calendar from after the Super Bowl February through August is absolutely brutal from a sports watching standpoint.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm 34 years old.  I can realistically remember teams from '95 on.  On a neutral field, this LSU team would be no worse than a pick'em.  Tennessee or Nebraska in the late 90s.  Ohio State or Miami in the early 2000s.  Florida during Tebow.  The Bama Dynasty.  USC and Texas.  

There have been a number of incredible teams over the last 25 years.  This LSU team is up there with any of them.  

I'd love to see 2001 Miami vs. any of those teams. IMO that's still the best team I've seen in my lifetime, and we are almost the same age (I'm 33).

'95 Nebraska and Tommy Frazier would be intriguing.

'01 Miami is the most dominant team on both sides of the ball that I've seen with 1st rounders everywhere.

'04 USC is fantastic as well, albeit I'd still love to see that '04 Auburn team that got screwed.

'94 Penn State I think gives '94 Nebraska a run for their money.

Every single member of that '02 OSU defense was drafted, and that's still one of the best CFP defenses of all time.

'05 Texas is up there as well

12 minutes ago, TheBeast23 said:

Is it just me or did Delpit not warrant a first round selection last night lol

Tbh he hasn’t all season. 

Look, that is a talented LSU secondary, and Delpit can flash at times, but it’s unreal that he won the Thorpe. That guy has some serious holes in his game. I think when it comes to draft evaluation this off-season, you will see him start falling lower in the draft then he’s currently viewed.

Edited by NateDawg

Just now, NateDawg said:

Look, that is a talented LSU secondary, and Delpit can flash at times, but it’s unreal that he won the Thorpe. That guy has some serious holes in his game. I think when it comes to draft a valuation this off-season, you will see him start falling lower in the draft then he’s currently viewed.

I think I saw some of the worse angles I have ever saw before. Everyone knows his tackling is pretty awful but on the national stage he surely didn’t help himself. He looked bad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I vividly remember all of the teams you mentioned, and I don’t think this LSU team would’ve ever been less than a 2-3 point favorite on any field anywhere in the country. The fact that the numbskull committee members ranked Ohio State ahead of LSU certain weeks was laughably stupid.

Even against the 95 Huskers?

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Look, that is a talented LSU secondary, and Delpit can flash at times, but it’s unreal that he won the Thorpe. That guy has some serious holes in his game. I think when it comes to draft evaluation this off-season, you will see him start falling lower in the draft then he’s currently viewed.

Delpit to Cleveland confirmed.

1 hour ago, TheBeast23 said:

I think I saw some of the worse angles I have ever saw before. Everyone knows his tackling is pretty awful but on the national stage he surely didn’t help himself. He looked bad.

TBH, more than anything, I was alarmed with his complete lack of effort in some cases. He all but gave up on Higgins Reverse TD run. He stopped, then realized he was still in bounds, and tried to make up for it, while all but walking the last 10 yards.

11 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm 34 years old.  I can realistically remember teams from '95 on.  On a neutral field, this LSU team would be no worse than a pick'em.  Tennessee or Nebraska in the late 90s.  Ohio State or Miami in the early 2000s.  Florida during Tebow.  The Bama Dynasty.  USC and Texas.  

There have been a number of incredible teams over the last 25 years.  This LSU team is up there with any of them.  

With how centralized recruiting is and the transfer market, I think you can take pretty much any of the best teams today against the teams from 10+ years ago. 

Even look 5 years ago: Bama made the playoffs with Blake Sims at QB and OSU won that year because they had 3 starting caliber QBs ready to go on the roster. Neither of those things are going to happen again. Teams are going to relentlessly upgrade all around and the total talent level in those top 5 or so schools is going to continue to increase, and you're going to end up with teams that have virtually no holes. For as much as Clemson got beat up, besides some depth on the DL, that's a team that's loaded at pretty much every single position, but their future #1 pick at QB played bad in a big game, and that was most of what cost them.

I don't think you could say that the prime USC teams had "no holes". Same with Texas. Best CFB bowl game I can remember, but Vince Young had to carry that offense damn near singlehandedly. The 20th, 40th, and 60th guy on these rosters is just more developed and better now than he was 5-10 years ago.

• Like 1