2020 National Championship | #3 Clemson vs #1 LSU

naptownskinsfan

Who wins the National Championship?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the National Championship?

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Even look 5 years ago: Bama made the playoffs with Blake Sims at QB and OSU won that year because they had 3 starting caliber QBs ready to go on the roster. Neither of those things are going to happen again. Teams are going to relentlessly upgrade all around and the total talent level in those top 5 or so schools is going to continue to increase, and you're going to end up with teams that have virtually no holes. For as much as Clemson got beat up, besides some depth on the DL, that's a team that's loaded at pretty much every single position, but their future #1 pick at QB played bad in a big game, and that was most of what cost them.

I don't think you could say that the prime USC teams had "no holes". Same with Texas. Best CFB bowl game I can remember, but Vince Young had to carry that offense damn near singlehandedly. The 20th, 40th, and 60th guy on these rosters is just more developed and better now than he was 5-10 years ago.

It's honestly too bad to see the dropoff after the 3-4 teams now compared to then. If Bama had Tua, you have 4 clearly elite teams, and then about 6-10 of the same "tier" of good teams to argue about for that 4th/5th spot (OU, Baylor, Wisky, Minnesota, Penn State, Georgia, Florida, etc.). In 2005 for example, you could argue that OSU lost a heartbreaker to Texas and was "as good", or PSU who beat that '05 OSU team and won  their bowl game after losing a heartbreaker to UM was "as good", not to mention USC, West Virginia, LSU, and a couple other solid 2 loss teams like VTech and Bama.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's honestly too bad to see the dropoff after the 3-4 teams now compared to then. If Bama had Tua, you have 4 clearly elite teams, and then about 6-10 of the same "tier" of good teams to argue about for that 4th/5th spot (OU, Baylor, Wisky, Minnesota, Penn State, Georgia, Florida, etc.). In 2005 for example, you could argue that OSU lost a heartbreaker to Texas and was "as good", or PSU who beat that '05 OSU team and won  their bowl game after losing a heartbreaker to UM was "as good", not to mention USC, West Virginia, LSU, and a couple other solid 2 loss teams like VTech and Bama.

It depends what you want. The CFB playoffs are a higher quality product because you essentially need a 1st round caliber QB surrounded by a complete team to be relevant.

For as much as we joke, there are Oklahoma like teams who won a Natty or came in 2nd. But they got boat raced because the bar is just so high now.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It depends what you want. The CFB playoffs are a higher quality product because you essentially need a 1st round caliber QB surrounded by a complete team to be relevant.

Absolutely, albeit I'm still in the "give me 8 teams because you have 5 power conferences and at least one wanna be power 5 team that is an independent who still claims to be relevant" camp.

For as much as we joke, there are Oklahoma like teams who won a Natty or came in 2nd. But they got boat raced because the bar is just so high now.

Yeah, but then again, I've been anti OU since 2000. IMO a good majority of those teams never belonged on the same field/in those games, but due to margin of victory and perceived conference strength, they were given the benefit of the doubt while the SEC, Big Ten, and PAC 10 (at the time) cannibalized itself. ('04 comes to mind with Auburn being left out, as does the year Texas beat OU head to head, lost to TTech thanks to Crabtree and company, both had 1 loss, and somehow OU got in instead.)

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Honestly I find it depressing, the field is contracting so much and there really is no reasonable view outside of it. There's 3, maybe 4 viable programs and then a lot of "well, guess we can maybe make the rose bowl as the runner up".

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Honestly I find it depressing, the field is contracting so much and there really is no reasonable view outside of it. There's 3, maybe 4 viable programs and then a lot of "well, guess we can maybe make the rose bowl as the runner up".

Sure but Purdue vs. Northwestern is a different kind of depressing.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, but then again, I've been anti OU since 2000. IMO a good majority of those teams never belonged on the same field/in those games, but due to margin of victory and perceived conference strength, they were given the benefit of the doubt while the SEC, Big Ten, and PAC 10 (at the time) cannibalized itself. ('04 comes to mind with Auburn being left out, as does the year Texas beat OU head to head, lost to TTech thanks to Crabtree and company, both had 1 loss, and somehow OU got in instead.)

Even the Big 10 and Pac 10 weren't all that good. But imagine guys like Jason White or Colt McCoy in title games today. Good luck.

Even the Big 10 and Pac 10 weren't all that good.

'06 and '07 didn't inspire much confidence then or age well, that's for sure.

But imagine guys like Jason White or Colt McCoy in title games today. Good luck.

I mean, Jason White didn't hold up back then, let alone today. Statuesque noodle arm against one of Nick Saban's defenses? LOL LOL LOL