Jump to content
.Buzz

Jaguars vs. Colts: It's almost over

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That's not the point.

This draft after Burrows and Tua is worthless to throw picks at a QB. Maybe Eason but even then I'd much rather see us plug holes and see Minshew then re-evaluate in 2021 when we have 2 1sts and an extra 4th as ammo to move up.

Move up for who? 2021.. Trevor Lawrence? Who in their right mind is going to give that kid up? It’s exactly why I said this team will remain in purgatory. If you don’t have an Elite QB you better have a hell of a team around him.. how are we lookin in the team aspect? Not good therefore Minshew has to be the type of talent to carry a football team. I’m not seeing it it’s a lot of good QBs out here Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers... they been good but are they transcendent? You just saw Mayfield have what looked like a promising year and then turn around and look like dumpster juice.. this kid ain’t a sure thing.. you’ll see for sure next after DCs have scouted him for a full year to pick up his tendencies what he likes and what he dislikes. You’ll see if he really is legit next year.

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Move up for who? 2021.. Trevor Lawrence? Who in their right mind is going to give that kid up? It’s exactly why I said this team will remain in purgatory. If you don’t have Elite QB you better have a hell of a team around them.. how are we lookin in the team aspect? Not good therefore Minshew has to be the type of talent to carry a football team. I’m not seeing it it’s a lot of good QBs out here Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers... they been good but are they transcendent? You just saw Mayfield have what looked like a promising year and then turn around and look like dumpster juice.. this kid ain’t a sure game you’ll see for sure next after DCs have scouted him for a full year to pick up his tendencies what he likes and what he dislikes. You’ll see if he really is legit next year.

Justin Fields, etc.

Who knows, I haven't dove into that class deep. I do know I don't see anyone this year and that's the point. No need to force a high draft pick on a QB that you don't believe in/surely isn't worth the pick.

I don't even know if Gardner is the guy but I do know that he had plenty enough flashes to make you think he has a chance to be "the guy". He had nothing besides Chark and Fournette. His OL largely was up and down. He wasn't brought up to start and thrown in the fire right away.

He has plenty of "it" qualities, such as his leadership and moxy. He surely has some things that he needs to improve on but every rookie usually has that going for them. Gotta wait and see, but I'd say there's a chance.

 

Edited by .Buzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Justin Fields, etc.

Who knows, I haven't dove into that class deep. I do know I don't see anyone this year and that's the point. No need to force a high draft pick on a QB that you don't believe in/surely isn't worth the pick.

I wouldn’t use any picks this year on a QB.. No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DuvalsKing said:

I wouldn’t use any picks this year on a QB.. No

Well that's the whole point I was making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Justin Fields, etc.

Who knows, I haven't dove into that class deep. I do know I don't see anyone this year and that's the point. No need to force a high draft pick on a QB that you don't believe in/surely isn't worth the pick.

I don't even know if Gardner is the guy but I do know that he had plenty enough flashes to make you think he has a chance to be "the guy". He had nothing besides Chark and Fournette. His OL largely was up and down. He wasn't brought up to start and thrown in the fire right away.

He has plenty of "it" qualities, such as his leadership and moxy. He surely has some things that he needs to improve on but every rookie usually has that going for them. Gotta wait and see, but I'd say there's a chance.

 

The problem is...when you draft other "position players" and "build the team" first...you only really get so many years before you start having to pay them big.  Unless you're bringing in a GOAT coach+QB duo like the Patriots 2.0...you really only have a very narrow window to actually get 'er done and bring home a championship.  Wasting a bunch of time building a "elite" team around a mediocre QB is just...squandering your window these days.  Just look at how many teams that's been the case for...where they can get there, but no all the way.  You want the "elite team" around them obviously...but you want it to line up with the QB picks 3rd or 4th year.  When they've had the opportunity to play and learn and grow.  Which means your other top players are going to start coming off their rookie deals first, if you draft and build that way.  Which means you can't even afford to keep everyone you've drafted and developed, if you do it well...by the time your QB is coming into their own a few years into their own rookie deal.

 

Like...rookie QBs are never really good enough.  It takes time and experience for that position to mature.  People talk about like "rookie TEs" taking a while to make an impact...but QB is by far the biggest example of that (outside the running QBs where the curve kinda inverts, and the shock value is worth more than their normal peak).  You have to line it up with when you want your "team" as a whole, to peak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The problem is...when you draft other "position players" and "build the team" first...you only really get so many years before you start having to pay them big.  Unless you're bringing in a GOAT coach+QB duo like the Patriots 2.0...you really only have a very narrow window to actually get 'er done and bring home a championship.  Wasting a bunch of time building a "elite" team around a mediocre QB is just...squandering your window these days.  Just look at how many teams that's been the case for...where they can get there, but no all the way.  You want the "elite team" around them obviously...but you want it to line up with the QB picks 3rd or 4th year.  When they've had the opportunity to play and learn and grow.  Which means your other top players are going to start coming off their rookie deals first, if you draft and build that way.  Which means you can't even afford to keep everyone you've drafted and developed, if you do it well...by the time your QB is coming into their own a few years into their own rookie deal.

 

Like...rookie QBs are never really good enough.  It takes time and experience for that position to mature.  People talk about like "rookie TEs" taking a while to make an impact...but QB is by far the biggest example of that (outside the running QBs where the curve kinda inverts, and the shock value is worth more than their normal peak).  You have to line it up with when you want your "team" as a whole, to peak.

There's no QB besides Burrow this year. I'm not sure what you're trying to propose. You can't force a QB pick high unless you want another Bortles situation. Minshew is making minimal money and was a 6th, if he doesn't end up being the guy it's easy to move on. 

The whole thing is not having drafts like 2013. You can keep a window open for more than a couple years if you have solid drafting to replace. We didn't. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...