Packers or Saints, better team?

patriotsheatyan

Packers or Saints, better team?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Packers or Saints, better team?

• Packers
    • Saints

Anyways to answer this question: The Saints are a better team.

That doesn't mean the Saints will beat them should they play in the divisional round though.

It's an absolutely enormous advantage for Green Bay to have this  extra week to rest and prepare for them. Not to mention the Saints are a dome team that would be forced to travel to Wisconsin to play outdoors in -5 weather and wind. If they play I think it's a very 50/50 game despite the Saints being a better team.

3 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Eh.

I disagree.

The 2006 Saints got the #2 seed at 10-6.

The 2010 Bears weren't very impressive either. Beat the 7-9 Seahawks and lost at home to the Packers in the next round.

2004 Falcons weren't very good.

2016 Chiefs were worse than this Packers team.

2008 Panthers were a pretty bad #2 seed. Got embarrassed at home in the divisional round by the 9-7 Cardinals.

Probably a few more I'm missing.

This Packers team is maybe the worst 13-3 team I've ever seen, but it's not the worst #2 seed. There have been a few very unimpressive teams get 1st round Byes before.

Yes, but in 2006, that 10-6 was a much better record for the NFC.  I'm not gonna say they were better than this Packers team, they probably weren't, but they were ranked #4 in points per drive on offense and #13 in defense.  This years Saints team is 13-3, but ranked #3 offense, and #16 defense.  this year's Packers team is 10th on offense, and 11th in defense.

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, but in 2006, that 10-6 was a much better record for the NFC.  I'm not gonna say they were better than this Packers team, they probably weren't, but they were ranked #4 in points per drive on offense and #13 in defense.  This years Saints team is 13-3, but ranked #3 offense, and #16 defense.  this year's Packers team is 10th on offense, and 11th in defense.

Not really. The NFC was just terrible that year. The 4 best teams in the NFL were all in the AFC. (Chargers, Pats, Colts, Ravens)

NFC went 24-40 in the head to head vs the AFC.

The best NFC team that year was the Rex Grossman Bears.

Edited by Bolts223

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yea, that's why 10-6 got the two seed.  

I know. 

What I'm saying is that this years Packers team is better than that Saints team.

And even if you want to argue that it wasn't.

There are like 5 other teams I listed that were #2 seeds that I consider worse than this Packers team.

Edited by Bolts223

On 12/30/2019 at 3:07 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, cold is not ideal, but with Brees I worry more about rain and/or wind.  He doesn't have the arm strength to cut through the wind, and he doesn't have the grip to throw a wet ball.  Brees is about precision and touch passes, and bad weather ruins it.  Hopefully they will mentally be able to overcome the cold, but Packers certainly have the advantage there, no question.

I've seen many a team walk out into the cold of Lambeau and just quit. Or even a key player (unfortunately, that player was sometimes late-career Favre).

I've also seen dome/warm weather teams show up and say "nah, we got this" and play great....or at least play tough. So who knows. I doubt a Brees/Payton led team will fold in the face of freezing weather (if we even get that - playing in 20+ degrees if the sun is out and wind isn't bad is tolerable for most anyone). 

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I've seen many a team walk out into the cold of Lambeau and just quit. Or even a key player (unfortunately, that player was sometimes late-career Favre).

I've also seen dome/warm weather teams show up and say "nah, we got this" and play great....or at least play tough. So who knows. I doubt a Brees/Payton led team will fold in the face of freezing weather (if we even get that - playing in 20+ degrees if the sun is out and wind isn't bad is tolerable for most anyone). 

Well, the game will be at night, so it's more than likely going to be a frozen wasteland.

• Like 1

Saints are a much better team and should win 9/10 games in a neutral site scenario but if they have to go to Lambeau it's a toss up.

I do think the Saints are better equipped to go win a game in the cold and snow than they have been for most of the Brees/Payton era though. Now that they have a solid defense, the "Saints can't win on the road" narrative needs to go away, and frankly it needed to go away as long ago as 2011 when they lost at the 49ers at the last second. Same with the game at Minnesota in 2017. Losing a game on the road in the final seconds doesn't make you a bad road team.

Edited by Destructo Spin

On 1/2/2020 at 2:11 AM, Destructo Spin said:

Saints are a much better team and should win 9/10 games in a neutral site scenario but if they have to go to Lambeau it's a toss up.

I do think the Saints are better equipped to go win a game in the cold and snow than they have been for most of the Brees/Payton era though. Now that they have a solid defense, the "Saints can't win on the road" narrative needs to go away, and frankly it needed to go away as long ago as 2011 when they lost at the 49ers at the last second. Same with the game at Minnesota in 2017. Losing a game on the road in the final seconds doesn't make you a bad road team.

That's way too much. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Most thought the Packers were the worst 13-3 team ever. And then the Saints lost today. Interesting. 

Neither the Packers nor the Saints have been as good as the 49ers this year.  Whichever team got the bye, 49ers got the 1 seed that they deserved.  

On 12/29/2019 at 3:40 PM, Malfatron said:

lol saints

On 12/29/2019 at 3:44 PM, BarnettOSU said:

I am a huge Packer and can say with certainty this is the Saints. 

On 12/29/2019 at 4:09 PM, Spartacus said:

Is this even a question? I'm a packer fan through and through and it's easily the Saints. 

On 12/29/2019 at 6:11 PM, Mazrimiv said:

Not sure what the point of this thread is supposed to be.  I am a lifelong NFL and Packers fan who does not know a single person (including myself) who believes GB is superior.

The single thing GB has going for it is they won't be facing NO in the dome, and if these teams do face off in a few weeks, the weather could easily be a factor.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:30 AM, FinneasGage said:

packers are the worst #2 seed of all time. 

saints gonna blow them out in the divisional round.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:53 PM, Malfatron said:

lol saints.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, Malfatron said:

NO is better, point blank.

and they will prove that in a couple weeks.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:00 PM, Cheesehawk said:

Saints without a doubt

Nicely done, men.

• Like 2