GDT 2017: Week 2 - Browns @ Ravens

drd23

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Ok, but again, SOMEONE does have to sit.  

Chris Matthews was out on all of the coverage teams and Campanero returns kicks/punts.  They're not going to dress six receivers that often.

With Kafusi and Henry sitting, you still have Williams, Pierce, Urban, Wormley, Davis and Ricard (and Ricard gets snaps as the FB).

Wormley was also inactive. We ran with 4 designated dlinemen. Urban, Williams, Davis and Pierce

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Wormley was also inactive. We ran with 4 designated dlinemen. Urban, Williams, Davis and Pierce

This further makes the point that someone has to be inactive.  We carried a larger-than-average number of DL into the season.  Ricard can obviously play DL as well, so its more like 5 DL.  

Who would you have said was an obvious inactive that was active?

some thoughts in the early morning.

Defense is for real and playing with a swagger cause they know they are great. still give up some long completions in the secondary but make up for it. very encouraging.

Flacco looks good and his low no of pass attempts against the Bengals were clearly due to a very strict game plan that proofed successful. still not on the same page with his receivers on intermediate / long routes which will hopefully just need some more time due to him missing time in training camp.

Perriman i gave up on. don't think he will ever be a reliable hands catcher, really need to wonder who in the world is doing the scouting for the Ravens in regards of wide receivers, it is ridiculous that they just cannot draft anybody worth a damn.

injuries will be the downfall of this team. can't see them making it against tougher competition with all of their interior oline starters on ir. Yanda was the one guy they couldn't afford to lose, fully expecting Flacco to get injured sooner or later behind this line.

anyway, 2-0 record in our division is great, will be attending next weeks game in London and watch the D dismantle the Jags, expecting not less then 4 interceptions B|

Congratulations on a lifetime commitment, @berlin calling ! Wish you nothing but happiness and success, pimp!

Ravens overall looked pretty good. Just hate that we're losing so many players to injury. Especially since most of our injured players are impact players. I also find it funny that we're not even a top 5 defense statistically. lol

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

I also find it funny that we're not even a top 5 defense statistically. lol

i guess it may be good the way it is, let our D fly under the radar as long as possible, they seem to thrive in the underdog role. i believe Ben R. is up for a rough ride once we play the Steelers in a few weeks, going 3-0 in the division would be a big step towards somehow reaching the playoffs, even if our depleted roster should not allow us to make it very far.

5 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Perriman i gave up on. don't think he will ever be a reliable hands catcher, really need to wonder who in the world is doing the scouting for the Ravens in regards of wide receivers, it is ridiculous that they just cannot draft anybody worth a damn.

Well most of the scouts, for teams and TV, were high on him in the draft process. On the day, him going at #26 was considered a bit of a slide. He just isnt developing, by the look of things, but he's certainly not the only high pick at WR who has ended up being a bust. I don't fault the Ravens scouts for not being more sceptical, because even If I didn't like the Perriman pick myself, they will have seen more of him than any of us ever did. They saw the talent that he undoubtedly has, but you can't really scout how a guy will adapt to the NFL.

It frustrates me more that the Ravens have missed out on lower tier WR prospects, either through choice of other teams nabbing them, who have then become very productive players.

3 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Well most of the scouts, for teams and TV, were high on him in the draft process. On the day, him going at #26 was considered a bit of a slide. He just isnt developing, by the look of things, but he's certainly not the only high pick at WR who has ended up being a bust. I don't fault the Ravens scouts for not being more sceptical, because even If I didn't like the Perriman pick myself, they will have seen more of him than any of us ever did. They saw the talent that he undoubtedly has, but you can't really scout how a guy will adapt to the NFL.

It frustrates me more that the Ravens have missed out on lower tier WR prospects, either through choice of other teams nabbing them, who have then become very productive players.

As I recall, he only began his rise once he posted that blazing 40 yard dash.

Based on his tape, me and basically every other coach scout from Denmark saw the same thing. Fast and physical, but not great at catching the ball, also quite uncoordinated and rarely seemed like he had great balance. Tumbled and tossed when catching the ball (which was excused by scouts referring to bad ball placement by the QB).

Considering how physical and fast he is, I rarely see him getting great separation at LOS and teams doesn't seem to respect him at all. 

Here are my thoughts on yesterday and moving forward:

* The defense created turnovers, which was awesome, but for the most part they were not good, and I'm super happy that guys like Weddle and Webb acknowledged this in the postgame presser. We blew SO many coverages it was infuriating. However, unlike previous years, the defense capitalized on mistakes, which was extremely satisfying to see.

* It brought me joy to bounds I have not known since 2012 to see the play where Judon annihilates Kizer and Bowser gets the INT. That play was awesome.

* Marlon Humphrey looks great, and if our CB's can stay at least this healthy (Smith, Carr, Webb, Humphrey), we have a legit secondary once they patch the coverage mistakes.

* Despite the score, and despite our defense getting another 5 turnovers, the game was closer than it seemed. Our defense isn't going to get 5 turnovers a game the rest of the season, and these are games we should be blowing people out in if we're getting 5 turnovers. I am skeptical about how we're going to perform when the defense has a day where they generate maybe 1 or no turnovers at all. 

* Breshad Perriman sucks. That is all. 

* Alex Collins looked like our best RB yesterday, and it was a noticeable difference when he was in the game. He looked explosive, powerful, and decisive. Fumbling issues can be fixed, but I really do hope we continue to use all 3 backs to keep them fresh.

* Bergstrom looked okay after the first play. Ryan Jensen continues to be the weakest link in our offensive line and tbh it's not even close. There was one Alex Collins run where Jensen got blown 5 yards into the backfield before Collins even got the handoff, and he still managed to get back to the LoS.

* Joe looked much more comfortable getting out of the pocket and our offense looked much better doing those bootleg passes. Reminded me of 2014 again, and just like back then, it was our most effective way of moving the ball. I hope they continue to do that moving forward.

* I have literally no idea what Joe was throwing to on that INT. You can't pin that on Wallace. He overthrew him by 20 yards into double safety coverage. That was awful.

9 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Congratulations on a lifetime commitment, @berlin calling ! Wish you nothing but happiness and success, pimp!

Ravens overall looked pretty good. Just hate that we're losing so many players to injury. Especially since most of our injured players are impact players. I also find it funny that we're not even a top 5 defense statistically. lol

Maybe by yards, but we are #3 in points allowed (with 10, behind Carolina and TB).

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

* Alex Collins looked like our best RB yesterday, and it was a noticeable difference when he was in the game. He looked explosive, powerful, and decisive. Fumbling issues can be fixed, but I really do hope we continue to use all 3 backs to keep them fresh.

Well, maybe not. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/alex-collins?id=2555430

Collins had 17 fumbles in three years at Arkansas. That's a ton. Didn't realize that until somebody mentioned it on Twitter. We should be wary of Alex having the ball in his hands.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

* Marlon Humphrey looks great, and if our CB's can stay at least this healthy (Smith, Carr, Webb, Humphrey), we have a legit secondary once they patch the coverage mistakes.

They won't, we are not that lucky. :(

BUT, we will have Maurice Canady and Jaylen Hill back. I know they haven't done anything in real games, but I like them more than the bottom of the depth at corner at any other season. I like the odds of us avoiding a Shareece Wright/Corey Ivy type liability on the field.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

Maybe by yards, but we are #3 in points allowed (with 10, behind Carolina and TB).

Second. TB has only played one game and allowed 7.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017091700/2017/REG2/Browns@Ravens?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017091700#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000846267&tab=videos

^I found this Bowser interception really amusing, because even if he wouldn't have been in the play, it would have most likely been picked off by Jefferson. And even if Jefferson and Bowser weren't in the play, it would have most likely been picked off by Levine. I don't think I've ever seen a pass with less chance of making it on a direct path to the receiver.

Good to know that Bowser has the hands to come up with the pick though. 

Archived