What do we do with Jameis Winston?

bucsfan333

On 1/1/2020 at 10:15 AM, Glen said:

Incentivize his contract that gives him a guaranteed 20m with an additional 500k for every td he throws and -250k for every interception.

would he still get the 500k if its a pick 6? lol 

On 1/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, Glen said:

Word the incentives to limit turnovers is all im suggesting. Make it an incentive that he will earn an extra 10 million if he throws less than 5 ints on the basis that he attempts 500 passes. 7.5 million if its less than 10/500. etc etc.

you could just make it 250k for every TD he throws above the amount of interceptions he throws. that's basically what your other post said anyways. No problems there from the NFLPA

On 12/31/2019 at 7:02 AM, Elky said:

If Tua doesn't fall to Tampa, I'd look at another position. Justin Herbert isn't worth a first round pick.

what a baseless statement. Herbert is going to be a top 10 pick in all likelihood. 

I don't think you need to tag Winston to have him for 1 season. I don't think there is any franchise out there who is going to give him a LTD for the money he wants to make. He is going to get squeezed a little bit. I bet his FA market will be soft and that you can bring him back for roughly 20 million or less. He is going to bet on himself being better in year 2 of the offense and then trying to hit FA after a good season.

Seriously, what other team out there is going to offer him starter money? I cant think of a single one. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

would he still get the 500k if its a pick 6? lol 

you could just make it 250k for every TD he throws above the amount of interceptions he throws. that's basically what your other post said anyways. No problems there from the NFLPA

what a baseless statement. Herbert is going to be a top 10 pick in all likelihood. 

I don't think you need to tag Winston to have him for 1 season. I don't think there is any franchise out there who is going to give him a LTD for the money he wants to make. He is going to get squeezed a little bit. I bet his FA market will be soft and that you can bring him back for roughly 20 million or less. He is going to bet on himself being better in year 2 of the offense and then trying to hit FA after a good season.

Seriously, what other team out there is going to offer him starter money? I cant think of a single one. 

Simply not impressed with Herbert. He had a good Senior Bowl, but the way he collapsed late last season is concerning. Oregon has been a QB bust factory too.

Just now, Elky said:

Simply not impressed with Herbert. He had a good Senior Bowl, but the way he collapsed late last season is concerning. Oregon has been a QB bust factory too.

That's fine, you can not be impressed with someone who is going to be a surefire FRP. You can think he needs to have shown more to be worth it. The draft is a projection of how guys will play, not how they have played. 

The fact is, he has great measurables and great intangibles. He looks the part. Good arm, smart kid, great athlete. He is undoubtedly going to be drafted in the top 10 by a team that will probably trade up to get him. 

Just now, N4L said:

That's fine, you can not be impressed with someone who is going to be a surefire FRP. You can think he needs to have shown more to be worth it. The draft is a projection of how guys will play, not how they have played. 

The fact is, he has great measurables and great intangibles. He looks the part. Good arm, smart kid, great athlete. He is undoubtedly going to be drafted in the top 10 by a team that will probably trade up to get him. 

Akili Smith was a sure fire FRP. So was Joey Harrington.

What s interesting for me is does Leftwich tweak the offense no matter who is the Qb?  Could we see more slants or crossing patterns, which were in short supply last season.

Also, utilizing the RBs more.  Rivers completed over 130 passes to his RBs last season.  The Bucs completed around 84 to the RBs last season.  

24 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I doubt much changes in the offense, no matter who we have at QB.

Most coaches are stubborn and want what they've found to work in the past. I don't think BA is any different.

I generally agree with you.  They have no shot to get Brady if they don t tweek the offense.  So a overall question about the UFA QB class is, which Qbs would look at this offense and say yes this is my type of an offense.   5 to 7 step drops with passes very much the majority over 10 air yds.  

Certainly money can play a factor in getting a Qb, but scheme fit for a QB matters.  Teddy could have been a starter in Miami last season, but all reports were he decided not to go to Miami 

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

I generally agree with you.  They have no shot to get Brady if they don t tweek the offense.  So a overall question about the UFA QB class is, which Qbs would look at this offense and say yes this is my type of an offense.   5 to 7 step drops with passes very much the majority over 10 air yds.  

Certainly money can play a factor in getting a Qb, but scheme fit for a QB matters.  Teddy could have been a starter in Miami last season, but all reports were he decided not to go to Miami 

I think we'd have to essentially become a WCO for Brady. And I don't see BA doing that.

Rivers can push the ball downfield. But for how much longer?

I wouldn't want Teddy in this offense. Or Tannehil.

I'd be fine with any of Herbert, Love, and Eason. All have shown they can sling it. And they don't care what happens. Which BA admires. Not to the tune of 30 INTs. But he's said he doesn't care if his QB throws an INT every week if he pushes the ball downfield. It's pretty much expected.

So 16 INTs is the baseline. 

BA also said he wants a 3:1 ratio. Which expecting 48 TDs year in and year out isn't realistic. But 35-40 doesn't seem impossible more often than not.

I don't think Brady can do it in this offense. Seems like trouble waiting to happen. Same with Teddy and Tannehil.

Rivers could probably have one more 32ish/16 season.

None of the rookies could/should be expected to come in and light it up.

Stafford could do it. Jameis could probably do it in year two. Of the more realistic options.

It would take a rookie sitting for at least eight weeks before anyone should feel comfortable with him starting. He'll get the reps in the offseason and in practices. And after Burrow and Tua, there's a dropoff on talent - at least immediately.

So I think it's gotta be Rivers or Jameis for this year, honestly. But any of Herbert, Love, or Eason could potentially take the reigns in 2021.

Stanley and McDonald maybe as well. But they're considered sixth/seventh/priority UDFAs for a reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Might be time to pick a favorite and argue to the death over which guy you want. 😉

Well, I ll be the first entrant into the steel cage 😀.  Love is a prospect I want to like, but his seasom mainly against MWC competition was nt good.  I get the circumstances around the team, but I just can t go there.  At least with Eason, you can see better results against SEC and Pac 12.  

I d much rather spend a pick on Eason, then in a trade for Carr.  Really have no interest in signing Rivers.

Edited by ravishingone

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Unless we're spending a 2nd rounder on those guys, I want no part of taking either in the 1st. They both have a high ceiling and a fall out floor. You're talking about a ton of coaching and development with both...

This team has too many holes to spend a mid round 1st on a developmental QB...

Eh. I dunno. We went 7-9 with 35 turnovers from our QB.

If we can keep Barrett, Suh, and JPP our defense will be mostly the same with the same staff. Which I think matters a decent amount.

An upgrade or two on the offensive line and similar QB play without the turnovers should be more than enough for the playoffs. Especially with the bs extra playoff spot.

• Like 1